What do you think of people who are naturally slim?

Options

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Catnipp_ wrote: »
    Keep in mind natuarlly slim does not nesesarily equal "healthy" I know healthy fat people and unhealthy skinny people. We should focus LESS on looks and MORE in achieving fitness goals and supporting one another.

I think i know what you meant here. However given that overweighr 'fat' people are more prone to diabetes, various cancers, heart problems etc. Due to their excessive weight i'm not sure we should go round calling them healthy because they must be making plenty unhealthy choices to maintain a high weight.
    Obviously their are other factors to health but you cannot truly be healthy when you're fat.

Exactly.

Of course there are really overweight people who do not get diseases and live a long and happy life, just like there are pack-a-day smokers who live to 95 (and who smoked a pack the day before they died). But the correlation between being overweight/obese to so many illnesses and conditions is undeniable.

Not a fan of glorifying these "plus-size" models. Of course we need plus-size models because most people are plus-size. But the new message is, "you're overweight but you still are beautiful, so don't worry about being overweight.

And the medical profession's solution? Take this pill, take that pill, inject this, inject that.

And what would you have them do if the "lose the weight" instruction obviously wasn't carried out?

The "lose the weight" instruction is typically stated in seconds. When I was overweight and on statins, my doctor would say, "remember, diet and exercise!" That is meaningless pablum, and many patients get this meaningless pablum as advise. And then they give you the prescription.

Again, that's what they shouldn't do, as far as you're concerned.
  • gonetothedogs19
    gonetothedogs19 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind natuarlly slim does not nesesarily equal "healthy" I know healthy fat people and unhealthy skinny people. We should focus LESS on looks and MORE in achieving fitness goals and supporting one another.

I think i know what you meant here. However given that overweighr 'fat' people are more prone to diabetes, various cancers, heart problems etc. Due to their excessive weight i'm not sure we should go round calling them healthy because they must be making plenty unhealthy choices to maintain a high weight.
    Obviously their are other factors to health but you cannot truly be healthy when you're fat.

Exactly.

Of course there are really overweight people who do not get diseases and live a long and happy life, just like there are pack-a-day smokers who live to 95 (and who smoked a pack the day before they died). But the correlation between being overweight/obese to so many illnesses and conditions is undeniable.

Not a fan of glorifying these "plus-size" models. Of course we need plus-size models because most people are plus-size. But the new message is, "you're overweight but you still are beautiful, so don't worry about being overweight.

And the medical profession's solution? Take this pill, take that pill, inject this, inject that.

And what would you have them do if the "lose the weight" instruction obviously wasn't carried out?

The "lose the weight" instruction is typically stated in seconds. When I was overweight and on statins, my doctor would say, "remember, diet and exercise!" That is meaningless pablum, and many patients get this meaningless pablum as advise. And then they give you the prescription.

So you're blaming doctors for the fact that most patients won't follow good advice, and the fact that doctors prescribe drugs because they know that most patients won't follow their good advice?

"Don't forget, diet and exercise" is not advise. It is an off the cuff remark that means nothing to most people. It should be emphasized, not just spit out in two seconds.

• RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Some people are naturally slim. My friend is just a little over 5 feet, 110 lbs soaking wet, near 40 years old with a kid. And I've seen what she eats. She's Italian and Sicilian so lots of pasta and she drinks regular soda. She also has great skin and looks 10 years younger then she is!
  • gonetothedogs19
    gonetothedogs19 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Some people are naturally slim. My friend is just a little over 5 feet, 110 lbs soaking wet, near 40 years old with a kid. And I've seen what she eats. She's Italian and Sicilian so lots of pasta and she drinks regular soda. She also has great skin and looks 10 years younger then she is!

Yes, another naturally slim person.

But here come the comments - "she's really not eating as much as you think she is eating," or, "she's secretly running five miles a day and not telling you," or, "you don't know how much running around she has to do with that kid."

Denial, denial, denial that there are naturally slim people because they have fast metabolisms.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

Exactly.

I don't understand this at all. Instructions from your doctor are meaningless because other patients get the same advice? And you always have the right to refuse a prescription. You can say "I'd rather try the diet and exercise thing first. Can you give me some basic advice or refer me to a dietician?" If you want. Perhaps the doctor whips out the prescription pad because he (or she) can see that you are not listening to the advice about lifestyle changes. Your health is your responsibility.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

But here come the comments - "she's really not eating as much as you think she is eating," or, "she's secretly running five miles a day and not telling you," or, "you don't know how much running around she has to do with that kid."

Denial, denial, denial that there are naturally slim people because they have fast metabolisms.

Metabolisms do vary, but not greatly given same size and body composition. Often people who eat a lot without gaining as much as expected simply aren't absorbing as much of what they eat as others. While metabolic rates don't vary greatly, guts do.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Metabolisms do vary, but not greatly given same size and body composition. Often people who eat a lot without gaining as much as expected simply aren't absorbing as much of what they eat as others. While metabolic rates don't vary greatly, guts do.

Right, plus, as already been established, "lots of" pasta means different things to different people. I've lost weight eating while still eating lots of pasta. My definition of lots of pasta has also changed over the years. Pasta in and of itself doesn't make overweight unless you consume too many calories.
    Additionally, we can't glean from the original comment how this person eats the rest of the time when not with company, how active they are, etc... if she follows something like the Mediterranean diet, the basis for being able to eat that way is also to be as active as possible.

To look at this one offhand example and make the blanket statement "see, this person is naturally slim" without also having this info to examine is jumping the gun a bit.
  • dbhDeb
    dbhDeb Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm very jealous. LOL! My son is slim and food is just fuel to him. My daughter doesn't have any weight issues either. I never did until I hit 40. Coincidentally, both of my children are vegan. I raised of them on good nutritious foods which wasn't so easy. Their dad, my ex- who I do get along very well with, eats only starchy veggies (hates green veggies), meats, breads & dessert & hates exercising. Both of them enjoy a wide variety of veggies and are very fitness-oriented. I did something right that they eat nutritiously. I am a meat-eater by the way.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Right, plus, as already been established, "lots of" pasta means different things to different people. I've lost weight eating while still eating lots of pasta. My definition of lots of pasta has also changed over the years. Pasta in and of itself doesn't make overweight unless you consume too many calories.
    Additionally, we can't glean from the original comment how this person eats the rest of the time when not with company, how active they are, etc... if she follows something like the Mediterranean diet, the basis for being able to eat that way is also to be as active as possible.

The bolded section is important. I used to get the "you're so lucky to be naturally slim" remarks all the time because my BMI was low but when with friends I'd eat a lot. But I didn't eat like all the time. Most of the time I ate reasonable portions.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

No one said secretly anything. In fact I asked you about your own habits and you didn't even respond. The facts have been yours all along but you seem afraid to examine them
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

The bolded section is important. I used to get the "you're so lucky to be naturally slim" remarks all the time because my BMI was low but when with friends I'd eat a lot. But I didn't eat like all the time. Most of the time I ate reasonable portions.

Yeah. My dad had a coworker he exchanged rides to work with years ago. The coworker, a guy, was slim as a rail, and if someone was around only him at dinnertime, they could make the assessment that he must be naturally thin because all he eats is Taco Bell. However, dad was around him for the entire 12 hour shifts at work, and the two Taco Bell tacos was all this coworker ate the entire shift. Their jobs were fairly active, too.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Misty Copeland. Clearly, SHE is naturally slim.

misty-copeland-1-435.jpg
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Depending on what foods you choose, even a meager 1000 calories over the course of a day can look like "a lot of food".
  • Catnipp_
    Catnipp_ Posts: 27 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Take this woman for example Jessamyn Stanley, she is fat. But healthier than a lot of skinny people that I know based off of her athletic ability. Fat or skinny, if you eat like crap and don't do any sort of physical activity you're living an unhealthy lifestyle. This is why I say promote a healthy life style for overall health not solely on looks.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    When asked why her son was so skinny, the mother responded, "I don't understand. He's eating me out of house and home, and he can't put on a pound." The other mother said, "He eats like a horse. I've never seen anything like it. Can't figure it out."

It is beyond my comprehension that most of the posters here cannot acknowledge the obvious - there are naturally skinny people, particularly those under the age of 25. The word metabolism is in the dictionary for a reason. And for most of us, our metabolism slows as we get older.

You just can't consume the same number of calories at 50 that you consumed at 21 (assuming similar amounts of exercise) without the consequence of weight gain. This is sky is blue and grass is green stuff.

It's beyond my comprehension as well that people can't acknowledge that young adults are often much more active than adults even if they aren't doing intentional exercise.

And as mentioned many times in this thread, yes, metabolism slows as you age, but not to the degree that people here seem to think. The far bigger factor is becoming less active as you age.

Yep. Also, if they are growing, they will have higher metabolisms. Nothing surprising. And there's some degree of muscle loss on average -- that's why the calculators that estimate TDEE without BF% ask age, and the one that uses BF% doesn't need age.

In the late 70's and early 80's, the only people that went to gyms were muscle heads. Running/jogging was not common. Bicycles were for kids.

My assumption is the average 55-year-old does more exercise today than he or she did when they were 20. Been to a gym lately and see the older people?

And they don't eat more at 55 than they ate at 20. Yet, if you ask most of them, they probably say they can't eat what they ate when they were 20.

This was not my experience in the 70's and 80's. Free standing gyms were not nearly as common as now, but almost every rec center had one and aerobic classes were all the rage. Dancercize, Jazzercize, or just basic aerobics. Jogging was also very popular. Jane Fonda began releasing workout videos in 1982.

But maybe I'm just from bizzaro land because I'm 53 and since I learned out how ride a bike as a child, there has never been a time in my life when I didn't own and ride one.

Yeah, I just said I disagreed and remembered the time period, but since you spelled it out I'll agree -- I definitely remember aerobics being a big thing, my mom did Jazzercize and my parents went square dancing (LOL), the first jogging boom was in the '70s (Royko used to make fun of it in columns, but people did it), my parents had bikes, as well as my sister and I, weights were more for boys than girls until later in the '80s IME, but they were hardly uncommon, people would of course do things like play tennis, so on. Plus, Richard Simmons.

Yep. When I was a kid in the '80s, I woke up every morning at 6 am to do Mousercise on The Disney Channel. I also did the Get in Shape, Girl tapes with my sister. Then from around 10 am until dinner when we were forced to come in, we were outside playing kickball, tag, Red Light, Green Light, double dutch, and a multitude of other games. Meanwhile, my mom would do workouts on TV with Richard Simmons, Susan Powter, Gilad's Bodies in Motion, and Tony Little. We also had a YMCA family membership for a while because it was cheap. Now in my area it's over $800 for a year at the Y, plus a joiner's fee since the cost of living has skyrocketed and gyms are all the rage now.

I loved Bodies In Motion! It wasn't early 80's, so later than the timeframe in the post above, but still a fun workout. That Gilad dude was a hoot!

I'm going to have to see if those are available on DVD. That might be my workout this winter when I don't get outside much.

A few years ago when I first started trying to exercise after joining MFP I stumbled on some Gilad reruns( Total Body Sculpt) aired on Discovery Fit and Health channel. I recorded them, and have about 20 on my DVR. At first I thought they were cheesy, and didn't think they would be effective but I've been doing them 3 x a week with increasing dumbbell weights for the last 3 years and really enjoy them.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Exactly.

So you're blaming doctors for the fact that most patients won't follow good advice, and the fact that doctors prescribe drugs because they know that most patients won't follow their good advice?

"Don't forget, diet and exercise" is not advise. It is an off the cuff remark that means nothing to most people. It should be emphasized, not just spit out in two seconds.

How does it mean nothing to most people. Most fat people might not be motivated to bother, but what it means is obvious and the vast majority of people are perfectly capable of losing weight without being told how to do so by their doctor. It's not complicated.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Yeah. My dad had a coworker he exchanged rides to work with years ago. The coworker, a guy, was slim as a rail, and if someone was around only him at dinnertime, they could make the assessment that he must be naturally thin because all he eats is Taco Bell. However, dad was around him for the entire 12 hour shifts at work, and the two Taco Bell tacos was all this coworker ate the entire shift. Their jobs were fairly active, too.

2 tacos? That's sounds like the guy was starving himself. Who would think a man was naturally slim because he ate 2 measly tacos? Even if he ate that for 3 meals a day he'd likely still be eating at a deficit.