What do you think of people who are naturally slim?

Options

Replies

• Carpercia
    Carpercia Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Good for them. Nobody else's success or failure has anything to do with my success.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Well, the good news is that this is my last post because I am getting nowhere.

When I was in my late teens and early 20's, I ate like a horse, out-ate my friends, and I was skin and bones (as were my father, uncle and first cousin when they were in their late teens and early 20's). And I even bought a product called "Weight-On" when I was in college. Didn't work.

I am not a freak of nature. There are millions of others like me. If you want to reject this undeniable fact of life, so be it if it makes you happy.

But the thing is, you don't know exactly how many calories you were eating daily. Did you track your intake precisely or just using your, "I ate like a horse" method.

Track calories? A college student in a fraternity who tracks calories? Really? Find me one.

I ate more than others, and had no more physical activity than others. I was the bean pole. Again, it is beyond belief that people cannot accept this simple and factual statement.

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/index.php/free-content/free-content/volume-1-issue-8-do-dietitians-accurately-report-their-food-intake-and-confirmation-bias/do-dietitians-accurately-report-their-food-intake/

People, especially the obese, are known to severely underreport their intake, even when they know the intake can be verified by others. This suggests that it is not a conscious thing.

If people, especially the obese, systematically unknowingly underreport their calorie intake (a known fact), the idea that people who believe they eat more than others but can't seem to gain even a gram actually don't eat that much and it's just their mind playing tricks on them is more likely than people randomly burning ridiculous amounts of calories more than their peers of identical stats which statistically is more than unlikely the more you claim you deviate from the average.

And now, before you yet again go to the acre and get ready to collect more straw, I said ridiculous amounts. That people have some degree of difference between their calorie expenditure is obvious.

Is this straw for the horse?
  • queenliz99
    edited July 2016
    Options
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    robininfl wrote: »
    Again, just because it's behavior doesn't mean it's natural or unnatural.

I literally forget to eat if I am not hungry, and if I drink too much coffee in the morning, or the aforementioned big breakfast, I will feel full until supper-time. I am kind of anxious naturally and feel much better and calmer if I exercise to exhaustion at least once a day, preferably twice. I have trouble sitting still. I sleep 7.5 hours every night and 9 if I can on weekends, and don't feel good if I don't.

These things are part of my nature. They aren't learned responses, or don't feel like learned responses, they are the healthy behaviors of my normal body and mind if I am feeling good and not stressed. The things I do because they feel good, they keep me feeling good.

And again - skinny grandma, slim mom, slender daughters. There is no way that some of this isn't genetic.

Say you put everyone on the planet into their optimum shape and size. Those shapes and sizes would vary, right?

I don't think anyone's really disputing this level of detail. We're saying, lots of people probably don't have 113 lb 5'9" friends who eat 3000 calories everyday, sit on their heine all day and never gain a pound. Yeah I definitely know people who will take you to their favorite restaurant in the world, then not eat a thing because they just aren't hungry. Or you bought the same yummy food early in the day, I'm already on my fourth meal by nightfall and they still haven't eaten it or anything else. I'd have hunger burning a hole in my stomach by then and certainly couldn't do it

Seeing how that's far, FAR into the upper 2% of metabolisms (lacking exact numbers but I'd say far into the 0.X% even), I'd say that's an understatement.

Actually, can someone who is adept at statistics calculate the percentage of people that are that high if the mean seems to be around 2000 and 96% are within +-300 of that?

For the sake of simplicity, say it's 95%. This would give you a standard deviation of 150.

68% would fall within 1 standard deviation
    95% would fall within 2 standard deviations and
    99.7% would fall within 3.

1000 calories over the mean is 6.67 standard deviations. The chances are infinitesimal.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options

I literally forget to eat if I am not hungry, and if I drink too much coffee in the morning, or the aforementioned big breakfast, I will feel full until supper-time. I am kind of anxious naturally and feel much better and calmer if I exercise to exhaustion at least once a day, preferably twice. I have trouble sitting still. I sleep 7.5 hours every night and 9 if I can on weekends, and don't feel good if I don't.

These things are part of my nature. They aren't learned responses, or don't feel like learned responses, they are the healthy behaviors of my normal body and mind if I am feeling good and not stressed. The things I do because they feel good, they keep me feeling good.

And again - skinny grandma, slim mom, slender daughters. There is no way that some of this isn't genetic.

Say you put everyone on the planet into their optimum shape and size. Those shapes and sizes would vary, right?

I don't think anyone's really disputing this level of detail. We're saying, lots of people probably don't have 113 lb 5'9" friends who eat 3000 calories everyday, sit on their heine all day and never gain a pound. Yeah I definitely know people who will take you to their favorite restaurant in the world, then not eat a thing because they just aren't hungry. Or you bought the same yummy food early in the day, I'm already on my fourth meal by nightfall and they still haven't eaten it or anything else. I'd have hunger burning a hole in my stomach by then and certainly couldn't do it

Seeing how that's far, FAR into the upper 2% of metabolisms (lacking exact numbers but I'd say far into the 0.X% even), I'd say that's an understatement.

Actually, can someone who is adept at statistics calculate the percentage of people that are that high if the mean seems to be around 2000 and 96% are within +-300 of that?

For the sake of simplicity, say it's 95%. This would give you a standard deviation of 150.

1000 calories over the mean is 6.67 standard deviations. The chances are infinitesimal.

^^^for those not familiar with stats, this is the bell curve were used to seeing, correct? With 68% being the middle?
  • queenliz99
    Options
    FeedMeFish wrote: »

When I was in my late teens and early 20's, I ate like a horse, out-ate my friends, and I was skin and bones (as were my father, uncle and first cousin when they were in their late teens and early 20's). And I even bought a product called "Weight-On" when I was in college. Didn't work.

I am not a freak of nature. There are millions of others like me. If you want to reject this undeniable fact of life, so be it if it makes you happy.

But the thing is, you don't know exactly how many calories you were eating daily. Did you track your intake precisely or just using your, "I ate like a horse" method.

Track calories? A college student in a fraternity who tracks calories? Really? Find me one.

I ate more than others, and had no more physical activity than others. I was the bean pole. Again, it is beyond belief that people cannot accept this simple and factual statement.

me

You are 25, try calorie counting 30 years. LOL
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Which would be why I gave you some easy questions that anyone could remember decades after the fact - to compare your thin self to your weight gaining self at different points in time. You complain about the hard question but didn't answer the easy one, either.

If you've ever read a scientific paper, you may find areas like Observations, methods, results, conclusion. You're stating your observation over and over again, no meat in between and no attempt to share relevant facts, and asking us to arrive at the same conclusions as you did. I'm not sure what you're looking for, here.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    LokiGrrl wrote: »
    I'm not sure why it's so hard to believe the notion that those under 25 have significantly faster metabolisms. Human growth hormone, a major component of metabolism, is twice as high at age 20 as compared to age 35.
    http://www.vrp.com/amino-acids/amino-acids/growth-hormone-amino-acids-as-gh-secretagogues-a-review-of-the-literature

Because we don't have "significantly faster metabolisms", or else I wouldn't have been 50 pounds heavier until 2 years ago when I started counting calories.
    Ok, it may be an exaggeration. But someone in their early 20s will still be able to eat more than in their early 40s, assuming the same weight and activity level.

I don't know about you, but I didn't get my full height (5'4") until 21-22 (hell, I was nearly 13 before I hit 5 feet, and was 5'2" throughout most of high school), and raising a boy I've noted that, though he was 6' tall by 15, he took until 22-23 to settle at his final giant height of 6'3" to 6'4". I don't think the two of us are super special snowflakes, so some of that energy might still be used for growing, and maybe not just for height, body composition may have something to do with it.

Holy heck am I jealous. I got my first period by age 10, hit 5'3" by the time I was in 5th grade and just stopped growing completely. I went from being the tallest girl in class to the shortest in a matter of a few years. I would have loved to gain a few more inches of height, cup sizes, ANYTHING from the age of 11 to my early twenties. :'(
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

^^^for those not familiar with stats, this is the bell curve were used to seeing, correct? With 68% being the middle?

2000 is the middle.

Standard deviation is 150.

This means:

68% will be between 1850-2150
    95% will be between 1700-2300
    99.7% will be between 1350-2450
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Here's the full text of the study btw. Had to jump through some hoops to find it, not found on scholar or pubmed.

https://archive.org/stream/pdfy-wLVWT6NXVPL0JoPr/Ovid_ External Link#page/n1/mode/2up
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to comment on the activity level comments. I never exercised in my teens or 20's and 30's, i lived a sedentary life and ate whatever i wanted and stayed at the same weight throughout all those years, had 2 pregnancies, one of which i gained 52lbs which dropped off in a few months without paying attention to calories or food choices. I was also much more social back then, many more dinners out, take aways, bbq's, massive eating competitions between me and my brother and sister during regular family get togethers etc etc

My point is, i am now exercising and am more active than I've ever been in my life and i have to watch every damn calorie. Everything was effortless until i hit the age of 39-40 and this is when the weight start coming on, so for me lack of or lesser activity is definitely not the problem. I've gone from naturally slim all my life, to not lol
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Carpercia wrote: »
    Good for them. Nobody else's success or failure has anything to do with my success.

It's just a discussion. Not everyone is the same. I wish I had remained able to eat whatever I wanted. But that's life.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    LokiGrrl wrote: »
    I'm not sure why it's so hard to believe the notion that those under 25 have significantly faster metabolisms. Human growth hormone, a major component of metabolism, is twice as high at age 20 as compared to age 35.
    http://www.vrp.com/amino-acids/amino-acids/growth-hormone-amino-acids-as-gh-secretagogues-a-review-of-the-literature

Because we don't have "significantly faster metabolisms", or else I wouldn't have been 50 pounds heavier until 2 years ago when I started counting calories.
    Ok, it may be an exaggeration. But someone in their early 20s will still be able to eat more than in their early 40s, assuming the same weight and activity level.

I don't know about you, but I didn't get my full height (5'4") until 21-22 (hell, I was nearly 13 before I hit 5 feet, and was 5'2" throughout most of high school), and raising a boy I've noted that, though he was 6' tall by 15, he took until 22-23 to settle at his final giant height of 6'3" to 6'4". I don't think the two of us are super special snowflakes, so some of that energy might still be used for growing, and maybe not just for height, body composition may have something to do with it.

I paid particular attention to this for myself because I wanted to be tall, leggy, and gorgeous like my best friend who is 5'10". I fretted about it a lot, LOL. I paid particular attention to my son because, well, I'm his mother and I think moms just do that. I haven't observed that closely with other people so can't really speak to their growth rates.
    Sounds like you have late bloomer genes in your family, as most males are done growing height-wise by age 19 and females by age 17. Granted, like you mentioned body composition does continue for some time after height growth is done.
    Much to my disappointment, my height growth was done at 5'8" by the time I turned 17.

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options

2000 is the middle.

Standard deviation is 150.

This means:

68% will be between 1850-2150
    95% will be between 1700-2300
    99.7% will be between 1350-2450
    I still find that hard to believe that someone maintaining on 2500 calories is so far out of the ordinary.