What do you think of people who are naturally slim?

Options

Replies

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    dmt4641 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    People who say "I'm not fat, I'm big-boned" are the same as people who insist they have slow metabolisms, undiagnosed medical conditions, and genetic pre-dispositions.

There is someone in my family like this. Always blames genetics, thyroid, etc. for weight. They have had tests run and nothing physically wrong. They were put on a stimulate/metabolism drug from doctor and lost weight due to loss in appetite, but gained weight back when came off the drug because no lifestyle changes were made. The real problem is they eat very calorie dense foods daily, hate vegetables and don't exercise enough to compensate. A lot of people in the family tip toe around it and feed into the victim attitude, which drives me crazy because it is not helping anything. This person also says things to me like, "you are so lucky that it is easy for your to lose weight." It is not any easier for me than it is for you, I get hungry sometimes and choose to eat chicken and salad instead of tasty pizza most days. I workout at the gym 4-5 days a week.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. Some people get annoyed by "naturally thin" people because they think it is not fair. Others get annoyed by people playing the victim that could be "naturally thin" if they just made different choices.

This is a good point that I want to expand upon. Aside from my highest weight of 190 pounds in high school, I have never ever went above 140 pounds. I have been between 111 and 140 pounds since the age of 19 and only get as high as 140 if my activity level drops. I'm talking to the point of never getting out of bed which only happened a few times in my life where I was dealing with a large amount of stress. Other than that, I sit around 115, even if I don't watch my intake too closely.

I'm 5'3" and 108 pounds now. People consider me naturally slim and make comments about what I probably do or don't eat or how much exercise I probably do each day to maintain my weight. They never believe I was ever 190 pounds. The only reason I was ever that weight is because even though I still didn't eat a lot, I ate calorie dense foods whenever I did. My mother didn't cook meals or send me to school with lunch, so lunch would be Skittles and M&M's from the vending machine or sausage biscuits from McDonald's because they were 2 for $1. Then when she'd get home from work, she didn't want to be bothered and throw money at us to order fast food. I'd be so hungry at that point it was easy to polish off a large pizza, supersize meal, or a Chinese food combo meal by myself. The only things stocked in the house were things like soda, ice cream, chips, etc. My mother has always been and probably always will be overweight due to her habits, denial, and excuses. Once I turned 18 and was able to take responsibility for my own food choices, I immediately went from 190 to 115 in a bit over one year. I even ate more frequently, but gravitated toward more nutrient dense and less calorie dense food and the weight came right off.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    That is great Maxematics! Plus you have a set point and don't have to calorie count. A lot of naturally thin people know when they have gained a bit intuituvely. I could know in my "knower" exactly what I weighed to the pound before I even got in the scale. I'm not sure how, but it was true.

When I started "over-riding" my knower for my normal weight, then my body got used to eating bigger portions and dealt with the extra calories by storing them as fat. I don't know if I can get down as low as I used to be, but my goal is to prevent health issues in the future. I feel like I have time to turn things around to live a thinner and more fit lifestyle for my later years.

Edited for typo
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Some people are naturally slim. My friend is just a little over 5 feet, 110 lbs soaking wet, near 40 years old with a kid. And I've seen what she eats. She's Italian and Sicilian so lots of pasta and she drinks regular soda. She also has great skin and looks 10 years younger then she is!

Yes, another naturally slim person.

But here come the comments - "she's really not eating as much as you think she is eating," or, "she's secretly running five miles a day and not telling you," or, "you don't know how much running around she has to do with that kid."

Denial, denial, denial that there are naturally slim people because they have fast metabolisms.

Metabolisms do vary, but not greatly given same size and body composition. Often people who eat a lot without gaining as much as expected simply aren't absorbing as much of what they eat as others. While metabolic rates don't vary greatly, guts do.

Right, plus, as already been established, "lots of" pasta means different things to different people. I've lost weight eating while still eating lots of pasta. My definition of lots of pasta has also changed over the years. Pasta in and of itself doesn't make overweight unless you consume too many calories.
    Additionally, we can't glean from the original comment how this person eats the rest of the time when not with company, how active they are, etc... if she follows something like the Mediterranean diet, the basis for being able to eat that way is also to be as active as possible.

To look at this one offhand example and make the blanket statement "see, this person is naturally slim" without also having this info to examine is jumping the gun a bit.

Her mom makes the pasta. It's SO FREAKEN GOOD!! Way better then store bought. Although when she cooks she will use Barille or whatever is on sale. We worked nights at a hospital so we saw each other 12 hours a day for three years. We actually talked about her weight- not meanly or anything! She said she's always been little, and if she ever gets fat her relatives will throw a party to celebrate. She didn't gain anything extra when she had her baby and quickly lost it after he was born.

When I say she is naturally slim, I mean that she eats what she wants when she wants without measuring, worrying about calories, has no eating disorders and is slim.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,000 Member
    Options
    hmltwin wrote: »
    DebSozo wrote: »
    My theory about "naturally slim" people is that they don't think much about food other than at meal times, don't get hungry between meals, don't stress eat, and don't eat for comfort. They eat to live, and enjoy large quantities of food on occasion with celebrations but don't overindulge every day. They are aware of body signals of satiety and often eat less for several days after a special night out where they eat more than their norm... etc etc...

I have to disagree with you just a little... My sister was always lighter than me (until very recently). We're both very food oriented. She's actually much worse about snacking than me and has a tendency to eat with she's stress or bored. She also eats slower than practically anyone I've ever met, but she will clean her plate.

When she graduated high school, she weighed all of 110 pounds, at about 5'5". She never went over 150 pounds until her activity level dropped, after she switched jobs. That's when all her bad eating habits caught up to her. Until then, she was "naturally thin". For her, he had nothing to do with her thoughts about food. It had everything to do with her activity level.

Yep ... from my experience, every single time I gained some weight it had everything to do with my activity level.

Summer would come to an end, I'd take a light activity month or 6 weeks in order to give myself a break from a very active summer season ... and I'd gain some weight (but not enough to put me into the overweight range). In those days, I didn't mind a bit of a weight gain because as soon as I started training again, I'd lose it.

But then, in 2009, my activity level dropped right off because of DVT and I struggled to get it back again ... and that was the beginning of why I ended up here on MFP.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Some people are naturally slim. My friend is just a little over 5 feet, 110 lbs soaking wet, near 40 years old with a kid. And I've seen what she eats. She's Italian and Sicilian so lots of pasta and she drinks regular soda. She also has great skin and looks 10 years younger then she is!

But here come the comments - "she's really not eating as much as you think she is eating," or, "she's secretly running five miles a day and not telling you," or, "you don't know how much running around she has to do with that kid."

Denial, denial, denial that there are naturally slim people because they have fast metabolisms.

Metabolisms do vary, but not greatly given same size and body composition. Often people who eat a lot without gaining as much as expected simply aren't absorbing as much of what they eat as others. While metabolic rates don't vary greatly, guts do.

Right, plus, as already been established, "lots of" pasta means different things to different people. I've lost weight eating while still eating lots of pasta. My definition of lots of pasta has also changed over the years. Pasta in and of itself doesn't make overweight unless you consume too many calories.
    Additionally, we can't glean from the original comment how this person eats the rest of the time when not with company, how active they are, etc... if she follows something like the Mediterranean diet, the basis for being able to eat that way is also to be as active as possible.

To look at this one offhand example and make the blanket statement "see, this person is naturally slim" without also having this info to examine is jumping the gun a bit.

Her mom makes the pasta. It's SO FREAKEN GOOD!! Way better then store bought. Although when she cooks she will use Barille or whatever is on sale. We worked nights at a hospital so we saw each other 12 hours a day for three years. We actually talked about her weight- not meanly or anything! She said she's always been little, and if she ever gets fat her relatives will throw a party to celebrate. She didn't gain anything extra when she had her baby and quickly lost it after he was born.

When I say she is naturally slim, I mean that she eats what she wants when she wants without measuring, worrying about calories, has no eating disorders and is slim.

This would describe me for about 40 years including all my pregnancies (I did gain weight but quickly lost it without much effort). But, when I began to overeat I gained weight. If your friend begins to overeat, so will she.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I'm not sure why it's so hard to believe the notion that those under 25 have significantly faster metabolisms. Human growth hormone, a major component of metabolism, is twice as high at age 20 as compared to age 35.
    http://www.vrp.com/amino-acids/amino-acids/growth-hormone-amino-acids-as-gh-secretagogues-a-review-of-the-literature
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why it's so hard to believe the notion that those under 25 have significantly faster metabolisms. Human growth hormone, a major component of metabolism, is twice as high at age 20 as compared to age 35.
    http://www.vrp.com/amino-acids/amino-acids/growth-hormone-amino-acids-as-gh-secretagogues-a-review-of-the-literature

Because we don't have "significantly faster metabolisms", or else I wouldn't have been 50 pounds heavier until 2 years ago when I started counting calories.
  • gonetothedogs19
    gonetothedogs19 Posts: 325 Member
    Options

Metabolism is the conversion of energy stores into useable energy. Generally the body only converts energy as required - for growth, movement, repair etc.

A fast metabolism is what - converting more energy than required? Whats all that extra energy doing?

Maybe these people just have greater energy demands. Thats a different thing imo. Its still cico.

"It's still CICO."

Right. Two people of the same height and the same weight. One can eat 1,500 calories a day, do X amount of exercise and not gain weight. The other can eat 1,900 calories a day, do X amount of exercise, and not gain weight. Calories in, calories out. But the second person can eat more calories than the first person.

This is not rocket science.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Metabolism is the conversion of energy stores into useable energy. Generally the body only converts energy as required - for growth, movement, repair etc.

A fast metabolism is what - converting more energy than required? Whats all that extra energy doing?

Maybe these people just have greater energy demands. Thats a different thing imo. Its still cico.

"It's still CICO."

Right. Two people of the same height and the same weight. One can eat 1,500 calories a day, do X amount of exercise and not gain weight. The other can eat 1,900 calories a day, do X amount of exercise, and not gain weight. Calories in, calories out. But the second person can eat more calories than the first person.

Understanding that in probability, the further off the average you go in a normal distribution, it becomes exponentially less likely to find someone this applies to seems to be rocket science.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options

Because we don't have "significantly faster metabolisms", or else I wouldn't have been 50 pounds heavier until 2 years ago when I started counting calories.
    Ok, it may be an exaggeration. But someone in their early 20s will still be able to eat more than in their early 40s, assuming the same weight and activity level.

• gonetothedogs19
    edited July 2016
    Options

"It's still CICO."

Understanding that in probability, the further off the average you go in a normal distribution, it becomes exponentially less likely to find someone this applies to seems to be rocket science.

So in other words, every single one of us burns calories at the same rate. We are all different in so many ways, but when it comes to weight gain and weight loss, we are all the same.

Just put your height and weight in the calculator (apparently age does not matter), and assuming the same amount of exercise, you will have the exact same results if you eat the same number of calories. OK sure, if you say so.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

"It's still CICO."

So in other words, every single one of us burns calories at the same rate. We are all different in so many ways, but when it comes to weight gain and weight loss, we are all the same.

Just put your height and weight in the calculator (apparently age does not matter), and assuming the same amount of exercise, you will have the exact same results if you eat the same number of calories. OK sure, if you say so.

No, of course not. But your posts read as if you think that nothing affects weight gain except metabolic rate, and that is simply not correct.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

"It's still CICO."

You actually do realize that what you said has nothing to do with what he said, right? Just trolling? Because I can't believe you could have misunderstood so badly.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

"It's still CICO."

Do you know what a normal distribution is? It's quite different than the vertical line your first sentence suggests.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    My theory about "naturally slim" people is that they don't think much about food other than at meal times, don't get hungry between meals, don't stress eat, and don't eat for comfort. They eat to live, and enjoy large quantities of food on occasion with celebrations but don't overindulge every day. They are aware of body signals of satiety and often eat less for several days after a special night out where they eat more than their norm... etc etc...

For me this rings true. I struggled with my weight most of my life. I was hungry much of the time, constantly thinking about food, had crappy hunger signals. I never was a stress/comfort/boredom eater. When I switched up my diet from lower fat, higher fiber, to high fat, low carb three years ago I found that suddenly I wasn't hungry so much, didn't need to snack between meals, didn't think about food all the time, and could trust my hunger signals. I became a "naturally slim" person. People that haven't known me very long (less than three years, when I dropped the weight) assume I've never struggled with my weight, which is somewhat frustrating in its own right.

I do love seeing the look on the server's face when I order the largest steak available on the menu; even better is the look when they see that I've eaten every bite :D. I'm sure people witnessing that think I'm "lucky" to be so "naturally slim". What they don't know or see is that I only go out to eat maybe once a month and if I do eat a particularly large meal, I end up eating very little at (or skipping) the next two or three meals.

• gonetothedogs19
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Well, the good news is that this is my last post because I am getting nowhere.

When I was in my late teens and early 20's, I ate like a horse, out-ate my friends, and I was skin and bones (as were my father, uncle and first cousin when they were in their late teens and early 20's). And I even bought a product called "Weight-On" when I was in college. Didn't work.

I am not a freak of nature. There are millions of others like me. If you want to reject this undeniable fact of life, so be it if it makes you happy.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

When I was in my late teens and early 20's, I ate like a horse, out-ate my friends, and I was skin and bones (as were my father, uncle and first cousin when they were in their late teens and early 20's). And I even bought a product called "Weight-On" when I was in college. Didn't work.

I am not a freak of nature. There are millions of others like me. If you want to reject this undeniable fact of life, so be it if it makes you happy.

Did you see a doctor?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

But the thing is, you don't know exactly how many calories you were eating daily. Did you track your intake precisely or just using your, "I ate like a horse" method.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Also, it is true that someone basically adult sized who is still growing will need more calories. So what? I am not sure why this is meaningful to the thread topic.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    But HOW MUCH she eats matters. Unless you're with her 24 hours a day, you can't say she's slim just because when you see her she eats that way.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This is the usual cop out answer because nobody is with anybody 24 hours a day. Therefore you cannot "prove" there is such a thing as a naturally skinny person. Obviously, these people who we think are naturally skinny have this rare condition where they can only eat when other people are around, and cannot eat when nobody is looking.

Ridiculous. And I am speaking as someone who was skin and bones in college, did zero exercise, and ate more than most of my fraternity brothers.
    Lol, sounds like more of a cop out on your end. Unless you've tracked a person's daily activity and eating, your OPINION of why someone is "naturally thin" is just that......an opinion. There have been studies and experiments where people who were "naturally thin" were monitored throughout the day and they all came to the SAME conclusion..........................they don't consume more than they burn.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png