war on carbs who's with me

Options

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I'm in!

I'm always trying to cut out as much sugar and starch as I can, and keep the fiber and protein. I'd rather eat fat for energy.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Turb2o wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Enksar1 wrote: »
    My new eating diet will be no carbs like rice or bread , only boiled potatoes after training and unlimited fruits and salad throw all the day.

Those are carbs too. I had a smoothie with fruit and veg with breakfast, so no war on carbs for me.

Plus, unless you are burning calories in warring on carbs, I think this is in the wrong section. How much fight does a banana or potato put up?

Also, the whole idea of warring on a food is bizarre. If you don't want to eat it, don't. I try to maximize my intake of healthy fats and higher nutrient carbs (within my calories, of course) and keep consumption of other fats and carbs to a relatively small portion of my calories (although I still fit in cheese and ice cream and the occasional baked good), but I certainly see no point in pretending like "carbs" are uniquely the issue or that I am warring on them. That's so silly!

Anyway, eat the carbs you like. I personally prefer my potatoes roasted with their skin (most of the nutrients are in the skin) vs. boiled, but whatever tastes good to you.

Not all carbs are bad maybe I shouldn't change the status to war on refined carbs i.e processed foods carbs from none starchy veg e.g. greens are made up of fibroids carbohydrates but war on carbs was quicker to post

Whats wrong with starchy carbs like potatoes? They are full of nutrients and satiate many people. Also, carbs are muscle sparring and can support energy.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    My new eating diet will be no carbs like rice or bread , only boiled potatoes after training and unlimited fruits and salad throw all the day.

Those are carbs too. I had a smoothie with fruit and veg with breakfast, so no war on carbs for me.

Plus, unless you are burning calories in warring on carbs, I think this is in the wrong section. How much fight does a banana or potato put up?

Also, the whole idea of warring on a food is bizarre. If you don't want to eat it, don't. I try to maximize my intake of healthy fats and higher nutrient carbs (within my calories, of course) and keep consumption of other fats and carbs to a relatively small portion of my calories (although I still fit in cheese and ice cream and the occasional baked good), but I certainly see no point in pretending like "carbs" are uniquely the issue or that I am warring on them. That's so silly!

Anyway, eat the carbs you like. I personally prefer my potatoes roasted with their skin (most of the nutrients are in the skin) vs. boiled, but whatever tastes good to you.

Not all carbs are bad maybe I shouldn't change the status to war on refined carbs i.e processed foods carbs from none starchy veg e.g. greens are made up of fibroids carbohydrates but war on carbs was quicker to post

Whats wrong with starchy carbs like potatoes? They are full of nutrients and satiate many people. Also, carbs are muscle sparring and can support energy.

Nothing is wrong with them, unless they don't satiate you, they raise your blood sugar, or you have other reasons to avoid starch. They have much the same effect as sugar does on insulin. So, if sugar is a particular problem for you, then you might want to go to war on starch too.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Choosing to go to war against anyone or anything, without really being able to knowledgeably and cohesively articulate what it is about that person/group of people or in this case, group of foods that you are so against, seems like a bad idea, but sadly, all too common in todays world. Trying to summon others to your cause, when it doesn't really seem like you know what you are fighting for (and against) doesn't seem that wise either.

Societal references aside - there is nothing wrong with any kind of carbohydrate, in the absence of a medical condition that requires you to restrict them - in the context of an overall balanced diet.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    OP, as someone who is a low-carber, there really is no reason to go to "war" with or vilify carbs. Many if not most people do just fine eating them on the CICO model as long as they exercise self control. Remember if carbs were inherently evil that vegans would all be dead lol.

Being low carb works well for me because I hate pasta, rice, etc. and bread makes me sick. I still happily enjoy lots of veggies though (with carbs! lol) and, being very close to maintenance, will continue this lifestyle because its intuitive for me. It isn't for most people and therefore won't work for them long term. So you do you OP, but no need to get feisty over a macronutrient that is a non-issue for the majority ;)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »

Nothing is wrong with them, unless they don't satiate you, they raise your blood sugar, or you have other reasons to avoid starch. They have much the same effect as sugar does on insulin. So, if sugar is a particular problem for you, then you might want to go to war on starch too.

No argument here. I understand that some people have an issue with carbs. Its no different than those who have an adverse effect to saturated fats or those who aren't satiated by fat. I just don't like generic statements and absolutes when there is significant variation in diet needs.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Ugh.. read it as "war on crabs"

0cb.jpg

That thread messed with my mind.

That was last week. Get with the program. Now we are back to hating on carbs.

Yeah yeah. Fine.

No. I'm not with you OP. I have loved my carbs every pound of the way in my weight loss and I don't plan to break up with them for no good reason now.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    How do you engage in war on a molecule? What are it's weapons and capabilities? What are the conditions of victory? Do proteins engage in war crimes? Is this a starch crusade or a sugar jihad?

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Are we going down this rabbit hole again? *kitten* me! I believe the only way for OP to understand this is a flawed method of weight loss and quite frankly unsustainable:8 is for him to slip up enough times to realize, you're spinning your wheels because it just doesn't work in the long run (Been there, done that). Power to you my man. Now off to make me a bowl of grilled potato chips.

This pretty much sums it up
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    How do you engage in war on a molecule? What are it's weapons and capabilities? What are the conditions of victory? Do proteins engage in war crimes? Is this a starch crusade or a sugar jihad?

The carb jihad fighters waved the white flag, they didn't have enough energy to continue the battle.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »

Awwee! The cutest war, evarr!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    They would have little itty bitty swords and teeny tiny Viking hair dos
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Someone has watched too many Mark Bell YouTube videos and and taken everything literally.