How do you react when someone offers you food you want but "shouldn't" have?

Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    If it's something I want but I did not account for it in my calories I judge if it's worth the calories. Sometimes it is, sometimes it's not. If it is, I take it, if it's not I don't. No guilt either way or ill feelings towards the person (so nice of them to kindly offer). I don't feel bad for declining either. I have the right to not take something I don't want to take, and in most cases the person can understand. It's just not a big deal for me overall.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    santje00 wrote: »
    Do you feel like they're sabotaging your diet? Do you say no and feel guilty? Do you say YES and feel guilty?

For me, I would always give in and tell myself I'd just work it off later. I felt bad to let other people down. You?

I say "no thanks", but often get annoyed and even angry at people having this food around me. I know it sounds silly, but I can get frustrated with people eating something they should not have, since it could jeopardise their health. At other times, I crack and give in. Feeling horrible afterwards of course.

Why do you get to decide what fits into their goals? Do you take notes on everything else they are eating? Do you monitor their exercise? Are you aware of possible mental health issues, such as depression? Are you keeping an eye on their physical health, PCOS, thyroid functioning, liver enzymes, kidney function, lipid profile, etc? This is none of your business, yet you react to it in a way the could increase your own stress levels. May I suggest keeping your eyes on your own plate?

OP, I'm with Sued0nim, starting with a no thank you and escalating assertiveness of responses until they get the idea. Just as often though, I actually want what they are offering, or I take a bite to satisfy my curiosity if it's something I've never tried before.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I usually say no, or if I say yes and I don't really want it, I'll 'save it for later' (aka give it to my husband or throw it in the trash when theyre not looking)
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I just say, "No, thank you," if I don't want it. I say, "Yes, please," if I do want it.

That is the end. I'm not sure how guilt factors into it at all.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Perhaps you need to work on some assertiveness skills.

I'm fine with it, now (I'm a health coach :smile: ). I do have clients who find that socializing is one of the toughest things when it comes to sticking to diet, mostly because there are mixed feelings involved with turning down foods you want deep down, or feeling uncomfortable saying no to others.

Then you should be teaching them how to eat those foods in moderation and not make them seem off limits. However, based on how this is phrased, I have a feeling that you are a "coach" of one of the many MLM scam products out there, in which case, your clients are likely being fed a lot of wrong information anyway.

I'd love to know what the term "health coach" really means.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I just say "No thank you". My calories are pretty much planned out for the day. No guilt on either side.

This.

I notice that it's much easier to resist an "unplanned" offer of something tasty looking if you have a treat planned that fits into your calorie goal for the day. Some random item of food that is offered to me will most likely wreck my goal for the day given that I probably won't know exactly what's in it and how large a slice or whatever they are giving me, so that helps me see it as less tempting. Another helpful tip is to remind myself that if I want a piece of chocolate cake or whatever, I'm going to get the best chocolate cake I can find and enjoy a slice without any guilt. It may just not be today when I wasn't planning on it.
  • Camish911
    Camish911 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    ncfitbit wrote: »
    I just say "No thank you". My calories are pretty much planned out for the day. No guilt on either side.

Another helpful tip is to remind myself that if I want a piece of chocolate cake or whatever, I'm going to get the best chocolate cake I can find and enjoy a slice without any guilt.

I do that with pizza. If I'm going to eat something as high calorie as pizza it is NOT going to be Little Caesars or Dominoes. It's going to be something great like Firehouse Pizza. BTW that did almost backfire when the free pizza offered at Planet Fitness was Firehouse. Barely escaped that temptation!
  • spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    It is difficult where I work sometimes as people bring in doughnuts, biscuits, sweets, cake etc. all the time! Particularly as we all work night shifts, they are the worst. But I have started just saying 'no thanks' and I never feel guilty about that. I don't see why anyone else should care what I am putting into my body.
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I keep some wiggle room in my daily intake to allow for someone bringing biscuits to work or other similar situations. But as I don't carry a big flashing sign that announces my diet and food intake to the world, I can't expect everyone to know. People offer food for one of two reasons A) they're just being nice, and the wiggle room usually accommodates what is on offer and if not they understand when I decline. B) they have their own issues that they're projecting onto my weightloss, but they are their issues and I'm not getting drawn into it or being made to feel guilty about it.
  • iammeinnh
    iammeinnh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I try to have the majority of my diet be fruit and veggies, legumes and lean meat. If I am offered something that doesn't fit in my usual plan I will consider whether I really want it or not. I will use a few negative motivators if I don't really want it and walk away from it. If I do really want it I will savor it. I will thoroughly enjoy it (I have been known to dance in my seat) And, I will start with a little helping. That is usually enough.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    If it fits my calories and macros, I will accept. If they don't fit, then I just say 'no thank you, I am fasting'.
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Do you feel like they're sabotaging your diet? Do you say no and feel guilty? Do you say YES and feel guilty?

For me, I would always give in and tell myself I'd just work it off later. I felt bad to let other people down. You?

I say "no thanks", but often get annoyed and even angry at people having this food around me. I know it sounds silly, but I can get frustrated with people eating something they should not have, since it could jeopardise their health. At other times, I crack and give in. Feeling horrible afterwards of course.

wow really?

I hope you mean people who are allergic to peanuts that are eating peanut butter and not someone eating a burger or a chocolate bar...

OP if I want it I say thanks that is great...if I don't want it I say no thanks, looks great but not hungry atm.

there is no food I "shouldn't" eat since I don't have food allergies etc.

There is no one food that could sabotage me.
    Perfect. And, I agree. Why get angry at people? It's not like they'll pin you down and force you to eat something.

Really? It is not up to everyone else to give up their favourite foods just because you've cut them out. It is up to you to either work those foods into your calories (yes, they can be eaten; calorie is a calorie) or to accept that there will always be that sort of food around and shut it out. Unless it is food that you have sensitivities or allergies to!

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    In general, I don't want food I shouldn't have so it's a non-issue. I also don't think twice about turning down food from acquaintances. If I'm a guest in someone's home and the host offers something to make me comfortable I accept or decline only taking my wants into consideration.

If it's an occasion where food is part of a celebration or tradition I eat it - and like it - whether it fits into my plan or not. Those sorts of shared experiences are about more than just the food and are important to me.
  • GirlonBliss
    GirlonBliss Posts: 38 Member
    Options

Then you should be teaching them how to eat those foods in moderation and not make them seem off limits. However, based on how this is phrased, I have a feeling that you are a "coach" of one of the many MLM scam products out there, in which case, your clients are likely being fed a lot of wrong information anyway.

I phrase my questions from the perspective of where I was when I was 40 pounds overweight, and also in the words used by people who still have weight to lose. I don't tell people that anything is off limits - that's why there are "" around the word shouldn't in the question/title. And no, I'm not an "MLM scam" - whatever that is.
    rainbowbow wrote: »

A health coach helps guide people through their health changes. We help with behavior/lifestyle change, goal setting, accountability, support, and are a great person to go to for resources and guidance.

It's probably best I provide links written by others, so here are some from Mindbodygreen you can check out if keen:

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-7249/10-reasons-why-you-need-a-health-coach.html
    http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-6452/5-Reasons-to-Work-with-a-Health-Coach.html
    http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-22770/the-top-5-questions-i-get-asked-as-a-health-coach.html
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I phrase my questions from the perspective of where I was when I was 40 pounds overweight, and also in the words used by people who still have weight to lose. I don't tell people that anything is off limits - that's why there are "" around the word shouldn't in the question/title. And no, I'm not an "MLM scam" - whatever that is.
    rainbowbow wrote: »

A health coach helps guide people through their health changes. We help with behavior/lifestyle change, goal setting, accountability, support, and are a great person to go to for resources and guidance.

It's probably best I provide links written by others, so here are some from Mindbodygreen you can check out if keen:

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-7249/10-reasons-why-you-need-a-health-coach.html
    http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-6452/5-Reasons-to-Work-with-a-Health-Coach.html
    http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-22770/the-top-5-questions-i-get-asked-as-a-health-coach.html

smh really you people advocate enforcing your new life on others in the family...not gonna happen. My husband is a grown man and if wants crispers and oreos he can have them.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

If it fits within my calories, I accept it.

If it does not fit within my calories, I decline politely. :)

This. But there's no food I 'shouldn't have'.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Someone offered me pizza today. I said no but she still warmed it up for me. She gave it to me and I still said no. WTF. I can't just eat a piece of pizza in the middle of the day. I want dinner. And desserts. And I don't want to do cardio.

I do what I want and eat what I want and don't give a crap what anyone else thinks.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »

You should feel guilty if your sweet dying grandma makes something you loved for years and you absolutely refuse it while saying no one should ever eat that.

If co-worker Sally is offering everyone doughnuts she picked up on the way to work just say no thanks and everyone moves on with their lives.

No one is sabotaging anything by making an offer. I make choices. I am responsible for my choices.
    I don't feel guilty about saying no if something doesn't fit my day's plan.

I don't think I am letting people down by not eating something. It really doesn't matter that much. I don't feel guilty over food.

I eat all kinds of foods. I don't have foods I shouldn't ever eat. I choose not to eat some foods.

I was taught that it is polite to offer food or drink to someone instead of just eating or drinking in front of them. That is not the same as caring if they accept or not.

Well said. Big difference between homemade food offered by sweet dying Gramma and generic donuts by coworker.

Good point about it being polite to offer if you are eating/drinking in front of someone.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I just politely decline and go on with my life. No one has ever really pushed the issue with me ever :/
  • lisabridwell
    lisabridwell Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Try saying "No thanks, I'm losing weight." I've found that response always works; no one wants to cause you to break a losing streak! They often respond w things like "That's great. How much have you lost?" Or, "Good for you. I've been needing to lose weight; how are you doing it?" It's nice to see how turning the response from the typical negative response ("I'm on a diet.") to a positive ("I'm losing weight.") actually turns people from sympathizers ("Oh, I'm sorry.) or detractors ("Eatimg just one won't hurt.") into real supporters. ("Wow! Congratulations. That's great. I need to do that too!). Try it and see if you get new encouragement.