Cardio vs lifting while trying to lose weight

Options
1235»

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I haven't read this thread in depth but it looks like there are some arguments about gaining muscle in a deficit. I'll leave this Lawrence Judd and Eric Helms article here. I've read it twice and it hurts my head because I'm a science dunce.

http://muscleandstrengthpyramids.com/calorie-deficit-gain-weight/

Yup, the "not being able to gain in a deficit" is getting less and less so set in stone in my opinion. Is it gonna be harder, sure. Do certain age groups and genders have a better shot at achieving it? Sure. I don't think anyone really debates it. I think the argument is more about the "level of difficulty" to achieve it. If that makes sense? Full disclosure: not sober at the moment.

Either way, I am of the opinion that it absolutely can be done and not nearly as difficult as people make it out to me. To me, if you stimulate your
    muscles, something is going to happen to them.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I haven't read this thread in depth but it looks like there are some arguments about gaining muscle in a deficit. I'll leave this Lawrence Judd and Eric Helms article here. I've read it twice and it hurts my head because I'm a science dunce.

Yup, the "not being able to gain in a deficit" is getting less and less so set in stone in my opinion. Is it gonna be harder, sure. Do certain age groups and genders have a better shot at achieving it? Sure. I don't think anyone really debates it. I think the argument is more about the "level of difficulty" to achieve it. If that makes sense? Full disclosure: not sober at the moment.

Either way, I am of the opinion that it absolutely can be done and not nearly as difficult as people make it out to me. To me, if you stimulate your

In my opinion, it depends on the person. I've been gaining muscle at a deficit, but it's very hard to maintain. If you get lazy even a little and don't keep the muscles stimulated, you will start to lose muscle strength and size. It's just less likely to happen with a surplus than with a deficit.
  • dbhuff369
    dbhuff369 Posts: 17 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    You mind if i ask how you measured body fat and lean body mass gain (<-- keeping in mind lean body mass is more than muscle)?

Calipers, then do the math (subtract fat from weight for LBM). I use a 7 point measurement but 4 points is about the same and easier to do alone... Some will argue about accuracy, but since I use the same points and methods, I'm consistent, and my current appearance is consistent with my BF #s. Yes, technically, I could have gained bone mass, etc. but that seems unlikely at my age (54). Also, the timeframe is short enough that not likely to be other components. My gym offers displacement measurements; maybe someday I'll care enough to corroborate with that...

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Yeah, that's what I'm getting from things I'm reading/listening to. I personally wouldn't tell someone to set their GOAL to be lose weight and gain muscle. I'd still say to choose one or the other, if you gain muscle-great.