ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    NasMax wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    shrugs, I don't see a lot of ground breaking stuff here...but have at it OP...

then you quite obviously don't need to be here mocking other peoples level of knowledge (or lack of) everyone is at different stages... there would have been a time when this was also new to you.

not mocking anything, just pointing out that there is nothing ground breaking here...

to you maybe... if you've read through the comments you'll see that alot of people are unaware of this concept.

all of that information could of been found in the "most helpful posts" section of this forum, or any other forum for that matter...

Yet some people are still unaware of this concept (some even argue against it who haven't yet become familiar with the science & application) ...your posts are now pointless and taking away from the topic. This topic is obviously not of any use to you, so there's no point in you commenting anymore unless it's to help contribute.

I am contributing by pointing out that people should read the most helpful posts...
  • ndj1979
    edited July 2016
    Options

then you quite obviously don't need to be here mocking other peoples level of knowledge (or lack of) everyone is at different stages... there would have been a time when this was also new to you.

not mocking anything, just pointing out that there is nothing ground breaking here...

to you maybe... if you've read through the comments you'll see that alot of people are unaware of this concept.

all of that information could of been found in the "most helpful posts" section of this forum, or any other forum for that matter...

Yet some people are still unaware of this concept (some even argue against it who haven't yet become familiar with the science & application) ...your posts are now pointless and taking away from the topic. This topic is obviously not of any use to you, so there's no point in you commenting anymore unless it's to help contribute.

I am contributing by pointing out that people should read the most helpful posts...

you are the one resorting to name calling, not me.

It is an open forum and I can comment anywhere I choose/see fit...

sorry, captain obvious...
  • NasMax
    NasMax Posts: 138 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

no, you're just being a dick. This topic is active, it's created discussion & many people have inboxed me thanking for the information & wanting to talk more about the subject... go away.

mate seriously, have a word with yourself, you're making yourself look silly.
  • artichokes4algernon
    artichokes4algernon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Another study as of last week regarding this issue, Pumping iron: Lighter weights just as effective as heavier weights to gain muscle, build strength:
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/07/160712094259.htm

(Read the peer-reviewed article in the Journal of Applied Physiology here if you have access: http://jap.physiology.org/content/121/1/129)

This study dealt specifically with men but I've (female) had the best results with lighter weights/many reps. This is probably due more to body type and genetics than we currently have an understanding of. What works for one person may not for another.

(me = just wishing to tone and not add bulk)

• ndj1979
    Options

no, you're just being a dick. This topic is active, it's created discussion & many people have inboxed me thanking for the information & wanting to talk more about the subject... go away.

the only silliness I see is, is repeating obvious statements that are common knowledge and acting like you are doing everyone a favor...
  • NasMax
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Another study as of last week regarding this issue, Pumping iron: Lighter weights just as effective as heavier weights to gain muscle, build strength:
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/07/160712094259.htm

(Read the peer-reviewed article in the Journal of Applied Physiology here if you have access: http://jap.physiology.org/content/121/1/129)

This study dealt specifically with men but I've (female) had the best results with lighter weights/many reps. This is probably due more to body type and genetics than we currently have an understanding of. What works for one person may not for another.

(me = just wishing to tone and not add bulk)

Hey, yep great study!

Im not saying 'heavier weights are better' im saying you have to get stronger... regardless of the rep range you're using... even if thats a 12-15 rep range.

Hope that makes sense? ☺
  • NasMax
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Can you can it with the "mates" you sound like a cockney crawled up your *armadillo* and died :)

That said...I think if you want to reach those who don't know this stuff, you should spread your wisdom around the threads when people ask for help or advice ...jump in and add to the chorus

But I'd work on making my posts shorter too...cos people don't read walls of text generally

Nope not cockney, just British lol ☺
  • NasMax
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Can you can it with the "mates" you sound like a cockney crawled up your *armadillo* and died :)

That said...I think if you want to reach those who don't know this stuff, you should spread your wisdom around the threads when people ask for help or advice ...jump in and add to the chorus

But I'd work on making my posts shorter too...cos people don't read walls of text generally

Nope not cockney, just British lol ☺

thats no excuse for talking like a bad Michael Caine script :)

LMAO! :smiley:
  • NasMax
    Options

the only silliness I see is, is repeating obvious statements that are common knowledge and acting like you are doing everyone a favor...

If you think this is common knowledge you obviously havent read through this thread, as its mostly uncommon to the majority of people conversing in here.. anyway, im not interested in a pointless argument. Bye x
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    This isn't that controversial, folks.

To get bigger, you have to get stronger. It's inevitable. People are reading to much into this I think.

I generally agree with this.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Adding:

I would bet a study that tested a varied program with strength and Hypertrophy incorporated would fair better than either Hypertrophy or strength in the singular form.

Not exactly what you're after but a good read of itself.
    http://classic.jap.physiology.org/content/121/1/129
    Adding:

I would bet a study that tested a varied program with strength and Hypertrophy incorporated would fair better than either Hypertrophy or strength in the singular form.

Seems to be testing endurance training vs Hypertrophy, no?
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Adding:

Adding:

Seems to be testing endurance training vs Hypertrophy, no?

Not really. From the discussion it doesn't seem to matter whether the weight was heavy or lighter as long as it went to failure. Saw increases in both hypertrophy and strength (with one exception, bench).
    I bolded the quote below from the study discussion.
    Interestingly, they picked a larger sample group that had at least 2 years worth of training with weights more than 2x per week.

"Twelve weeks of supervised, higher- and lower-load per
    repetition RT programs were similarly effective at inducing
    skeletal muscle hypertrophy
    in resistance-trained participants
    when RT was performed to volitional failure. Additionally,
    when participants were tested periodically for maximal
    strength (i.e., essentially being allowed to practice their 1RM),
    the increases in muscular strength were not significantly different
    between groups. The exception was bench press 1RM, which
    increased to a greater extent in the LR group. Additionally,
    postexercise levels of circulating hormones did not change as a
    result of the RT intervention and were unrelated to changes in
    muscle mass and strength."
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Genetics matter too. I'm not that strong compared to a lot of guys my height and weight, but physique wise a lot of times my muscle size is bigger than theirs. They may bench more (my highest bench ever was 275lbs in my 20's), but my pec size would make it seem I'm just as strong. Granted, to get bigger I did have my bench go up, but I really never benched more than 225lbs for reps because I was going more for volume training to build size and not just by progressively increasing my bench numbers.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    you all got me confused. I was told yesterday you can gain muscle in a deficit if the conditions are right,but when I first joined and over time most people on here who have lifted and built muscle says NO you cant and thats what I thought so as well, so which one is it? (aside from newbie gains,getting back to lifting and so on)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    you all got me confused. I was told yesterday you can gain muscle in a deficit if the conditions are right,but when I first joined and over time most people on here who have lifted and built muscle says NO you cant and thats what I thought so as well, so which one is it? (aside from newbie gains,getting back to lifting and so on)

You will gain muscle at a faster rate being in an energy surplus.
    It is still possible to gain muscle in a net deficit over time but the success of that happening (and amount of muscle gained) will be influenced by a number of different factors such as genetics (responsiveness to exercise and nutrient partitioning/p-ratio), how much body fat you have, how large of a deficit, how well structured your training program is, protein intake, etc.

And I list out all this context because it matters.

There's a very big difference between an overweight teenage male with 6 months to a year of experience (not a complete noob) eating in a small deficit and training intelligently vs a female contest level physique athlete in her 40's in the last 3 weeks of a contest prep diet.

One of those people will very likely gain muscle and the other will very likely lose it, but both are in a deficit.
  • NasMax
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

You will gain muscle at a faster rate being in an energy surplus.
    It is still possible to gain muscle in a net deficit over time but the success of that happening (and amount of muscle gained) will be influenced by a number of different factors such as genetics (responsiveness to exercise and nutrient partitioning/p-ratio), how much body fat you have, how large of a deficit, how well structured your training program is, protein intake, etc.

And I list out all this context because it matters.

There's a very big difference between an overweight teenage male with 6 months to a year of experience (not a complete noob) eating in a small deficit and training intelligently vs a female contest level physique athlete in her 40's in the last 3 weeks of a contest prep diet.

One of those people will very likely gain muscle and the other will very likely lose it, but both are in a deficit.

100% this, great answer!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    I just Googled that, and read the abstract of the paper that comes up.

I've seen a lot of different recommendations for protein intake, it's hard to know which one to follow. Depending which one I go with, I should get anywhere from 150g to 350g per day. I feel like the top end is exaggerated, but again as a cyclist for many years, I just have no idea. I've probably been getting 75g per day while I've been lifting for the past two months, and I feel like I've gained very little muscle during that time. Seems like the best explanation is that I'm not getting enough protein to build muscle with. Does that sound right? I'm getting plenty of carbs.

What are you stats if you don't mind me asking?

sex
    weight
    esitmated body fat
    how long have you been lifting
    what other exercise are you doing
    whats your specific goal

all the good stuff & I'll be happy to help out with recommendations :)

I'm a 38 year old male, 6'1" tall and about 225 lbs. Estimated body fat is 20 % and lean body mass 42 %, according to my smart scale. I know that's not the best way to calculate, but it's the best I have available to me right now. I started lifting (moderate weight, high reps) on May 26 and started lifting heavy (low reps) July 1. I lift every other day for about an hour, always focusing on arm and chest. My goal is to build upper body muscle. I ride a road bike about 100 miles per week on average.

Ok, so the very first thing is to understand energy balance...

if you're wanting to lose weight you need to create a caloric deficit,

if you're wanting to gain weight you need to create a caloriec surplus

if you're wanting to lose FAT rather than overall weight, you'll need to manage your nutrition in a way that supports your lean body mass to ensure that the weight loss is mostly from fat mass

if you're wanting the weight gain to be mostly new muscle tissue, you'll need to adopt a slight calorie surplus that is enough to support the building of new muscle tissue, but not too much to avoid a significant amount of fat gain during the process

Now, I would recommend that you aim for building an overall well rounded physique rather than just trying to build your upper body exclusively as that will lead to muscular imbalances than can show up in the form of injury, pains, aches etc

If you're adamant on cycling that 100 miles each week, just understand that you're expending a very lage amount of calories to do so, thus meaning that you'll need even more calories going in to ensure that you're in an overall calorie surplus (although as a newbie, you can build muscle while in a deficit for a short period of time, maybe 3-6 months... so you could target fat loss & build new muscle at the same time before having to choose one goal exclusively)

If you're main goal right now is to put on lean mass tissue,

I'd recommend starting a solid plan which focuses on getting stronger with the compound lifts & then adding in accessories for any bodyparts that you feel need extra work

(starting strength, stronglifts 5x5 & ICF 5x5 are all great options for your current level)

now, as far as the nutrition.. you'll need to calculate you're TDEE (you can use an online calorie calculator to get a rough starting point) & then add a moderate surplus to support the building on new muscle tissue, my recommendation would be to add 200-300 calories to your TDEE or to add 10% of the total calories of your TDEE to you daily calories

Then it's a case of testing & tracking results

You should be able to shoot for a nice half a lbs per week at your current level, but if you find fat gain happening too fast, lower your goal to around 0.25lb per week

Hope this helps!!!?? :)

This information that you are providing is not any NEW news to us. We all give out this exact same advice, daily to all MFPers that wish to encounter the next step in their weight loss journey, maintenance journey or better yet get some ripped abs per se.

Just curious if I missed the punch line here and not being snarky at all, but I am confused that there is actually this "secret".. its not.. its all in just what you wrote for this poster.

While it isn't a secret I would say based on some of the questions I see people just don't have the knowledge.

So my point that this is not a "secret" has been made, and this is really about just giving basic advice to anyone that wants assistance with setting up their goals, or just has a basic question to help them further their goals.

edited to add: their seems to be a little bit of boasting going on about how much knowledge OP has, etc... When a topic of discussion has been written in the forums, it is always up for debate or interpretation by all that wish to join in the conversation. I watched this thread form for the past couple of days and some possible ego is in here as well.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    Options
    I agree completely w/the basic principles stated by the OP that "calorie deficit" = "weight loss" and that "getting stronger" = "gaining muscle."

What is often not understood (especially here on MFP) is that, while one can lose weight and get stronger to a certain level of stasis, ultimately you cannot get stronger and gain muscle (if that is your primary goal) w/o also gaining weight, which is contrary to what so many people on MFP say they want to do, which is lose weight and get stronger.

It is a paradox of body recomposition that is a source of much confusion.