Simple Ways to not gain back the weight you lost.

Options
124»

Replies

• missycats2004
    missycats2004 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I just started on Maintainace a week ago and MFP had me go from 1400 up to 1750. I panicked at that many calories and manually dropped it to 1550. I do water aerobics 5 days a week for 2 hours at a time and walk the beach sometimes in the evenings. I have gained back 4 lbs already and now I am beside myself ... Makes no sense to me. I'm still eating the same and weighing my food. Has anyone else had this problem ?
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    I started in maintenance too about one week ago - just before going on holiday. MFP also recommended a jump to 1750-ish calories but that is way to high a calorie limit too soon for me so I am holding to 1400 and eating back all my exercise calories. I feel so full sometimes - even too full. Wow.

So far - one week in - and I am able to stick to it and weight is more or less level. Up one pound one day and down a pound the next. I am logging everything but more loosely (no food scale available) and using a bathroom scale that is not my own so I am considering it as a 'relative' number for comparison purposes only.
    Fingers crossed this steady state continues.
  • beachgal0626
    beachgal0626 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 LOL! Magical thinking, indeed! (If I don't post it I must not have eaten it. Or at least if I did the calories don't count.) A few weeks ago I ate an entire 7oz bag of pretzel thins. Logged the whole bag. I even went ahead and ate the last few just so I would be accurate... :#

Oh my gosh, I've done this, too! :p
  • jmolivia
    jmolivia Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    mygrl4meee wrote: »
    I went from 272 lbs and got to my lowest at 169 pounds.. Between passing out when I was hungry and finding out i was anemic and going thru treatments.. Plus going thru a bad separation leading to divorce I started gaining. I recently seen 187 on scale and that really bothered me. I am currently training for half marathon and doing some weight training so hoping I finally got a grip on things.

Girl, you did something amazing losing that much weight! So you gained some back--stop beating yrself up, move on, and get back on track. <3
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 LOL! Magical thinking, indeed! (If I don't post it I must not have eaten it. Or at least if I did the calories don't count.) A few weeks ago I ate an entire 7oz bag of pretzel thins. Logged the whole bag. I even went ahead and ate the last few just so I would be accurate... :#

Oh my gosh, I've done this, too! :p

Me too. Except i logged the bag afterward, and they were chocolate covered pretzels. First and last time i ever did that, nearly 800 calories :sad:
  • missycats2004
    missycats2004 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I went on maintenance a week ago and they had me raise mine to 1750 also. I panicked and manually lowered it to 1550. But I've gained 4 lbs in a week. I like what you did so I think I will drop mine back to 1499 where I started from and use my exercise points to eat ...maybe that will Help
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I just started on Maintainace a week ago and MFP had me go from 1400 up to 1750. I panicked at that many calories and manually dropped it to 1550. I do water aerobics 5 days a week for 2 hours at a time and walk the beach sometimes in the evenings. I have gained back 4 lbs already and now I am beside myself ... Makes no sense to me. I'm still eating the same and weighing my food. Has anyone else had this problem ?

@missycats2004 when you move from defecit towards maintenance by increasing calories you get water weight swings that you need to just relax through, your weight will naturally go up then after a few weeks settle down again ...then you increase again ..say by another 100-150 ...and you keep on doing this until your weight doesn't go down writhing 3-4 weeks and then you drop back to the previous number because that will be your level

Do not panic
    Do not stop increasing calories
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    ponycyndi wrote: »
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    I'm curious too, but I don't want to be a jerk.

So let's imagine a theoretical person who lost X pounds, then gained them all back.

What goes through this person's head when they reach .25X, .5X and .75X pounds regained?

I ask because maybe in talking about it, I/you/we can identify some thought patterns that can be nipped in the bud.

I only gained back 15lbs, but what "allowed" it to happen was I stopped getting on the scale (because I knew it was a number I wouldn't be happy about) and I had stretchy pants, and clothes in my closet that fit me at a higher weight.

I just used some rough times and emotional issues as an excuse to eat way more than I knew I should, and ate until my stomach hurt, every day.

I did this too^

You get lazy, and tell yourself "I'll get back on the horse (or scale eventually)." I stopped exercise too (doh!).

I also had an emotional issue. Really hard to get myself motivated when life can be so unfair.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    OP, I think those rules sound pretty reasonable, if applied in the "loose guidelines" sense, as you suggest. I'm sorry you're getting some push-back that feels like negativity.

I'm thinking that by posting in "maintenance" - which does seem logical! - you're getting a higher percentage of folks who've been around for a while, who've often seen other people post "rules" in a more rigid or religious mindset, and who are therefore more likely to pick a bit, perhaps thinking new folks will take the rules more rigidly than you're presenting them. IDK.

Well said.