Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Diet Pills and all that that implies

Options

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    fascha wrote: »
    fascha wrote: »
    I take ephedrine and caffeine when cutting as it helps with energy and appetite control. I challenge anyone to tell me I'm taking the easy way out, I track everything I eat and I still have to be in a deficit lol it's a tool, like anything else. I don't have a problem with performance enhancing drugs either tbh. If you can drink and smoke I think if you'd like to add extra hormones to your body you should have autonomy over that.

Preaching to the choir here mate. I'm all for SARMS, Clen, Dbol, DMAA, Ephedera, etc. I'd posit the argument that those who don't enhance are looking for excuses to make for why they suck at any given thing.

Agreed. They hold onto that natty card as the ultimate excuse for a *kitten* physique as if enhancing just means you get to sit on your *kitten* and make gains LOL peasants

I'm natty for my health's sake. Not for any kind of excuse, thanks.

Are you seriously implying that all natties have bad physiques and that they use "natty" as an excuse? Give me a break. Most of the guys I know who advertise their nattiness are bragging, "I didn't even need to ride the bike to look this awesome."

Not at all. My point was that every time in recent history that someone has accomplished something extraordinary in the performance department, we immediately see chimings of "dat celltech bro". While it's a valid point, it completely ignores the fact that people (athletes in particular) have been using every means available to them to get an edge, since time immemorial.

Once upon a time, caffeine and ephedra would have been viewed the same way Dbol is today, assuming people back then had the internet and a prescription pad for excuses for why they put up second place performances.

I was really just referring to fascha's insinuation that only people with pitiful physiques promote being natty.

And yeah, lots of people are too quick to call anyone bigger than them a juicer (I probably give genetic potential more credit than your average bb.com'er).

And I get that competitors have always sought out every advantage they can get. I would argue though, that once that advantage is gained by illegal/prohibited means, it's no longer a competitive advantage. It's an unfair advantage.

ETA: if someone wants to disregard the law in order to get as big/strong as they possibly can, it's no hair off my back. However, I don't think they should compete professionally in any kind of sport because I don't think the competition should have to practice the same illegal/unsafe methods in order to have a chance.

And I'm not saying that guys like Arnold aren't impressive. But I will say that I am less impressed than I was before I knew he juiced.

Fair enough. Your train of thought would be synonymous with an MFPer showing up one day, eating 4000 kcals per day, and losing 3 lbs. per week, winning a contest, then revealing that they are a meth user.

That being said, there are plenty of legal PHs that work, though none qualify as "natty" and will give you manboobs, bacne, and liver problems if not cycled properly. I'd say that my biggest issue with all of it is the hypocrisy required by the majority to condemn one that's illegal, being meh on one that's legal, but being perfectly fine with simulants and the like. At least your view is more consistent.
  • amanda_qed
    amanda_qed Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    For anyone looking to increase energy, I recommend asking your doctor about getting B12 shots. I get one monthly (can be injected at home, if comfortable doing it yourself) and it helps give that extra boost.

I also think there is a benefit to Alli. Not so much for long-term weight loss, but it's been great for conditioning my behavior toward positive habits. When I get a craving for pizza or fast food, remembering the awful stomachache and other side effect that would result helps me resist.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    amanda_qed wrote: »
    For anyone looking to increase energy, I recommend asking your doctor about getting B12 shots. I get one monthly (can be injected at home, if comfortable doing it yourself) and it helps give that extra boost.

I also think there is a benefit to Alli. Not so much for long-term weight loss, but it's been great for conditioning my behavior toward positive habits. When I get a craving for pizza or fast food, remembering the awful stomachache and other side effect that would result helps me resist.

Strong first post.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Maybe some pills do have benefits whilst on a healthy diet. I'm not a scientific researcher! All I do know is I took a load when yoyo dieting in the past and it led to bad things. The worst being a horrific rash all over my body from supposed "all natural" ingredients...
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Heck, poison ivy is all natural, and I get spectacular hives from all natural almonds. I get all rashy from niacin, too.
  • alexpn
    alexpn Posts: 59 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    As a few people have already mentioned, the ECA/Ephedrine/Ephedra products do seem to have a good effect on fat - certainly when I've used them, but you just can't use them and expect success if your diet is crap or you're not exercising - it's pointless. There's also Clenbuterol which is heading into darker areas of supplementation, adjacent to steroids but the side effects are horrendous. The vast majority of all supplements are hoax and marketing *kitten*, you're better off counting calories on here, avoiding alcohol, drinking lots of water, and working out.
  • alexpn
    alexpn Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Just for anyone interested - Ephedrine is REASONABLY close to amphetamines in terms of molecular structure. It's banned in many countries (probably because it works and the Health Boards don't like it!)
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    alexpn wrote: »
    Just for anyone interested - Ephedrine is REASONABLY close to amphetamines in terms of molecular structure. It's banned in many countries (probably because it works and the Health Boards don't like it!)

Unfortunately, anything that actually works is eventually banned somewhere. I can't tell of it's the fault of a nanny state, or a moronic public that wants everything to be completely safe, even in the hands our dimmest bulbs. Safe and effective rarely coexist.
  • Gotrek1
    Gotrek1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    ^ as said above, back in the day when I used to workout a lot I used the old EC stack (Ephedrine, caffeine) It did help me loose weight / bulk up but not because of any magic reaction. It just gave me energy and I had so much to spare I would do extra exercise.
  • vanessa40
    vanessa40 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I remember back in the day when you could get the real stuff..mini thins at the gas station for i think it was 10.00
    Those were the days... I have used EC stacks on and off for years and never had any problems because i read directions
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, anything that actually works is eventually banned somewhere. I can't tell of it's the fault of a nanny state, or a moronic public that wants everything to be completely safe, even in the hands our dimmest bulbs. Safe and effective rarely coexist.

Neither one. It's a combination of people having a previously unknown hypersensitivity to EC dying, and idiots who think "Hey, if 20/200 is good, 100/1000 will work five times as fast!"
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    If they're not amphetamines, they're likely worthless. Unfortunately, those require prescriptions, or risking prison time.

I started gaining weight right around the time I was diagnosed with narcolepsy, and the treatment I am on (and have been on for years) for it is amphetamines. Maybe it is because I take them as prescribed but I don't find them helpful with weight loss at all. I may be the exception, or maybe I just don't take as much as was used for weight loss.
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Not sure what's up with all of the "back in the day" and "used to" with ECA stacks. I still run one. In case everyone wasn't aware, the ban was lifted shortly after ot was applied. You can get BronkAid and Primatine at just about any pharmacy in the US (it's kept behind the counter now). You just can't buy more than a few grams at a time, but let's be real, if you hit the 9g monthly limit, you're either trying to kill yourself, or you're making meth.
  • vanessa40
    Options
    Not sure what's up with all of the "back in the day" and "used to" with ECA stacks. I still run one. In case everyone wasn't aware, the ban was lifted shortly after ot was applied. You can get BronkAid and Primatine at just about any pharmacy in the US (it's kept behind the counter now). You just can't buy more than a few grams at a time, but let's be real, if you hit the 9g monthly limit, you're either trying to kill yourself, or you're making meth.

But BronkAid has Guaifenesin so it's not like the mini-thins and other pills you use to get..
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    vanessa40 wrote: »

But BronkAid has Guaifenesin so it's not like the mini-thins and other pills you use to get..

That's a fair point. It's possible to get that out of there, but it honestly isn't worth the effort to me. I'm fine with needing to drink more water to dodge the gua sides.
  • vanessa40
    Options
    Yeah me too. In the end it's all good
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    alexpn wrote: »

It works in a similar way to cocaine speeds up metabolism.. burns fat..gives you a boost before workout..and curbs appetite! Buuuut not the most advisable option. I've known a fair few have issues with ephedrine due to its narcotic / addictive qualities. Not the best on your ticker either BUT that said every once in a while, it wouldn't be particularly harmful.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Diet pills=lazy.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Pills, pills and more pills. People want a pill for every dam little thing. Suck it up. We are the ones making the pharmaceutical companies rich. I am 57 years old and take no medications, eat healthy 80% and exercise 5x weekly. I am not perfect but, I don't run to the doctor for every little ache and pain. Get tough.