feeling guilty about working out because i have small children

Options
124»

Replies

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Incorporate them into your workouts a couple times a week. My daughter did with her kids and now they like to work out (child appropriate of course). I think it sets a good pattern for them in the future.
  • raw_key
    raw_key Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I feel like that too sometimes, especially when my boys start crying because I'm leaving for the gym. I try to go immediately after they're tucked in most times but, if an instructor I like is teaching a class in the evening before hand, I'll try to make it to the class. Think of the investment in yourself as something you need to do to be healthy enough (mentally and physically) to be there for them. You need your stamina to keep up with to young ones and as they get older you'll want to continue to keep up with them. If you don't take the time to do that, it could have negative effects on your health and even potentially your mental health. Parenthood isn't easy, and taking an hour for yourself isn't selfish. You can always fit time in with your husband after you get home from the gym too.
  • merryward13
    merryward13 Posts: 1,662 Member
    Options
    They always say "you can't pour from an empty cup". My family has me all the other hours of the day, I get one hour to myself, to better myself, for my family.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    I never felt guilty
    I used to get up early before my daughter woke up
    Now I go to the gym at lunch time
    Other times we walk together few times we ride bikes in the park together. Need to do more of the riding together
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    amyn73 wrote: »
    All these judgmental people talking about being good examples ... I get it but I get the OP's view. We only have so many hours in our day. Each hour with our kids, especially with work and school, is a priority. Eventually we run out of time. Do we short change them or exercise?? And before anyone starts in on "get up early", forget it! I don't know about anyone else but I'm tired after working all day and doing all my other "jobs". I don't need one hour less sleep to add to my fatigue.

When I started out I used to do 30 day shred. 20 whole mins a day of neglecting my daughter. Wicked mummy
    God forbid if I decide to have a night out with the ladies
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    amyn73 wrote: »
    All these judgmental people talking about being good examples ... I get it but I get the OP's view. We only have so many hours in our day. Each hour with our kids, especially with work and school, is a priority. Eventually we run out of time. Do we short change them or exercise?? And before anyone starts in on "get up early", forget it! I don't know about anyone else but I'm tired after working all day and doing all my other "jobs". I don't need one hour less sleep to add to my fatigue.

Yeah.... no. Everyone has excuses. Exercising for yourself is not "short changing" your kids. Kids now a days need to learn to be more independent.
  • smile_laughter
    smile_laughter Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    You have received a lot of advice, so why not more?
  • smile_laughter
    smile_laughter Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    You have received a lot of advice, so why not more?

Ok....so the rest of my comments didn't go through. Grrrr.....so here is what I wrote this morning.

I have 3 kids and totally understand feeling guilty. The reality is you need time for yourself. You will be a better mom. I highly recommend getting weights for home use and dvds. When I feel bad about leaving the family, I workout at home. My kids sometimes join me and it becomes fun. Also, if you take your kids places, walk while you wait for them. I also walk while they play at the park.

Good luck.