food before bed.... :/

Options
124»

Replies

• susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I was watching Dr. O today and he sad new studies have shown that if two people eat exactly the same calories, but one eats all the calories earlier in the day, that person will lose more weight that the person who eats later in the evening. I was shocked at this because I also thought that the time of day doesn't matter.

Thoughts?

I'd have to see the studies he's referencing before I gave it any credence. I'm leaning towards the "idiot" viewpoint.

I eat my largest meals in late afternoon and shortly before bed, because I *cannot* sleep if I am hungry. Sometimes I eat breakfast and sometimes I don't.

There definitely are studies showing a correlation between people who skip breakfast and obese people. I would strongly suspect a lot of this is due to people like some I knew, who would skip breakfast and then head to the vending machines at 10am for candy bars. For some people, skipping meals leads to binging.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I was watching Dr. O today and he sad new studies have shown that if two people eat exactly the same calories, but one eats all the calories earlier in the day, that person will lose more weight that the person who eats later in the evening. I was shocked at this because I also thought that the time of day doesn't matter.

Thoughts?

stopped reading at dr oz...

did the person who lost weight eat ketones too?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You're not a Gremlin. Eat whenever you want.
  • Direnscure
    Direnscure Posts: 12
    Options
    If I need calories before bed, a few tablespoons of Smucker's natural peanut butter hits the spot. God, I love that stuff.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    eat before bed if you want to. doesn't matter to your weight loss...although I guess some people get indigestion. I usually have a snack an hour or so before bed...just to relax and unwind with a small treat. totally up to you.
  • babyluthi
    babyluthi Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Nothing to do with weight loss here..... however

Eating before bed, especially larger quantities is not a good idea for someone who is very obese. It can cause huge regurgitation during sleep and even aspirations. If you have ever woken up suddenly coughing and feeling a burning sensation in the top of your lungs, this is probably what is happening to you. This can lead to respiratory infections and in a worst case scenario lead to respiratory arrest -> death.

This would be a reason for someone who fits this description to not eat right before bed or through the night.
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Wow, theres a lot of cliche diet myths floating around in this post :(
  • briannaaclark1
    Options
    I am learning a lot. I always heard eating before bed was bad for your metabolism and believed it. So this has made me want to actually do some research on it.
  • elkahallick
    elkahallick Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I meal plan everyday to hit my macro numbers, but the first thing I enter is the exact products and measurements that I use to make a toasted peanut butter and jelly sandwhich every night before bed
  • NOTLUPUS
    NOTLUPUS Posts: 32
    Options
    Since nobody has bothered to ask, Are you working out during the day and pushing yourself past your normal TDEE and building muscle with resistance or cardio? If the answer is yes, then a high protein snack (i.e 100 - 200) calories should be incorporated into your daily calories and macros. A cup of fat free cottage cheese, some peanut butter,a shake whatever works for you.

Think of it this way, when you are building muscle in the gym you are breaking your muscles down so they can repair themselves and grow bigger at night. There are two types of proteins Caesin and Whey. Caesin is mainly found in dairy products, it slowly releases into the body and supplies nutrients that help repair those muscles and help you recover from your workout. Whey works much faster. This is why many people that do resistance training eat a small meal before bed, to help recovery of their muscles.

onto the breakfast thing.

Technically you can eat your calories in one bulk sitting whenever. However, this can lead to gorging if you save it for the end of the day, and being tired and not wanting to prepare anything makes fast food more tempting. The opposite is true as well, if you eat all your food first thing you will you that energy up sooner and feel like crap te rest of the day.

Think of your body as a fire. You throw a big pile of sticks in the fire first thing, they aren't there later when the fire starts to die and you need them. You throw that pile on the fire when its dying out, odds are it won't burn everything up by the end of the day and you'll be left with extra sticks (fat) This is why it is recommended that you put some sticks on the fire in the morning to help it start (breakfast), a little bit mid day ( snack ), a big pile in the middle ( lunch ) , another little bit later in the day (snack) and finally what left towards the end ( dinner ). If you are lifting it is recommended that you time your workouts so you get a snack or meal afterwards.

Your body (fire) does not know that you've stockpiled x amounts of sticks ( fat ), eventually it will find them but it starts yelling feed me before it starts looking and using those sticks that were hidden. It also panics, thinking "crap she forgot to feed me before, better not use this entire stockpile right away. I need to save as much as possible if this happens again.

If you aren't working out on a day then you should stop eating after your dinner is. You also need to figure out your TDEE and BMR. Here is a great calculator that lets you enter your goals, and helps give a meal breakdown based on # of meals you want in a day and your bmr and tdee. I recommend re-running this every 10 pounds or so you lose to help you stay on track.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/#projectedweightloss
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I am learning a lot. I always heard eating before bed was bad for your metabolism and believed it. So this has made me want to actually do some research on it.

You know what's better than research? Taking a leap of faith and trying it out for yourself. It can be a bit scary up front, but once you see it makes no difference whatsoever (provided you are accurate with your logging) it is a great feeling.
  • magurski
    magurski Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I eat almost all my calories in the 6 hours before bed. I have been for the last 3 weeks, and just broke the 200 lb barrier today. Just eat when you're hungry, don't eat when you're not.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Since nobody has bothered to ask, Are you working out during the day and pushing yourself past your normal TDEE and building muscle with resistance or cardio? If the answer is yes, then a high protein snack (i.e 100 - 200) calories should be incorporated into your daily calories and macros. A cup of fat free cottage cheese, some peanut butter,a shake whatever works for you.

Think of it this way, when you are building muscle in the gym you are breaking your muscles down so they can repair themselves and grow bigger at night. There are two types of proteins Caesin and Whey. Caesin is mainly found in dairy products, it slowly releases into the body and supplies nutrients that help repair those muscles and help you recover from your workout. Whey works much faster. This is why many people that do resistance training eat a small meal before bed, to help recovery of their muscles.

onto the breakfast thing.

Technically you can eat your calories in one bulk sitting whenever. However, this can lead to gorging if you save it for the end of the day, and being tired and not wanting to prepare anything makes fast food more tempting. The opposite is true as well, if you eat all your food first thing you will you that energy up sooner and feel like crap te rest of the day.

Think of your body as a fire. You throw a big pile of sticks in the fire first thing, they aren't there later when the fire starts to die and you need them. You throw that pile on the fire when its dying out, odds are it won't burn everything up by the end of the day and you'll be left with extra sticks (fat) This is why it is recommended that you put some sticks on the fire in the morning to help it start (breakfast), a little bit mid day ( snack ), a big pile in the middle ( lunch ) , another little bit later in the day (snack) and finally what left towards the end ( dinner ). If you are lifting it is recommended that you time your workouts so you get a snack or meal afterwards.

Your body (fire) does not know that you've stockpiled x amounts of sticks ( fat ), eventually it will find them but it starts yelling feed me before it starts looking and using those sticks that were hidden. It also panics, thinking "crap she forgot to feed me before, better not use this entire stockpile right away. I need to save as much as possible if this happens again.

If you aren't working out on a day then you should stop eating after your dinner is. You also need to figure out your TDEE and BMR. Here is a great calculator that lets you enter your goals, and helps give a meal breakdown based on # of meals you want in a day and your bmr and tdee. I recommend re-running this every 10 pounds or so you lose to help you stay on track.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/#projectedweightloss

Way to complicate that way more than it had to be for people who are new to this. The whole point of tracking your calories and macros is what makes it so SIMPLE. It doesn't matter when you eat, as long as you are hitting your target numbers for the day. Period.

If it works spreading you calories amongst 3,4,5,6, meals because you like grazing that is fine.

If you have the will power to pull off intermittent fasting because you prefer to be able to have more calories to work with later in the day, so be it.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I actually eat in bed, before bed every night.. it's all about cals in vs. cals out.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    er... ghost thread
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Well my dad lied to me. Still very nervous about eating close to bed time. Its actually harder for me to get to sleep on a hungry tummy... don't really believe in "studies" I just wanted some advice from people losing weight. Thanks again guys

JUST EEAT