Carbs or no Carbs???

2»

Replies

• gonetothedogs19
    gonetothedogs19 Posts: 325 Member
    Every person is different. I grill hamburgers and eat them open-faced. And I pull out most of the inside of my half-bun. Why? Because the full bun (carbs that happen to provide zero nutrition) does not provide me additional satiety, and my burger with the hallowed out half-bun tastes just as good. Calories saved? Around 150.

And if you maxing out at at 1,500 calories or less, those 150 calories are Huuuuuge.
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Things like white bread and pasta are calorie dense so it's easy to go over your calorie allowance. But carbs in and of themselves are fine, all comes down to personal preference. I didn't like eating low carb, I found it too restrictive. Other people prefer it.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Track carefully and see if it matters for you.

If you do actually have metabolic problems, carb intake and type can be a make-or-break issue. For normal, healthy people, consuming simple carbs from grain sources (bread, pasta, etc.) is fine.

P.S. There is really no such thing as a NO carb diet, unless you are living on steamed chicken breasts :)

• Caitlinbc
    Caitlinbc Posts: 1,914 Member
    I personally don't cut out carbs, just reduce my portions and eat the less refined carbs like whole wheat bread or brown rice.
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    If you are interested in more information on carbs and how they can affect weight loss and health, check out Low Carber Daily group. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Biased information, of course. The idea that "carbs" as a group have any effect on weight loss or health (oh dear, I ate a carrot!) makes no sense. Now, of course low carbing can be a good approach for some and can be done healthfully (although is not inherently or even usually more healthful), but this "come over here where we can preach about the evils of carbs without the irritation of opinions to the contrary" is depressing. One would have hoped that the purpose of the low carb forum was to help those who wanted to do low carb have good sustainable diets and helpful tips in how to do it, not to promote the (false) idea that eating carbs is unhealthy or makes you fat.

OP didn't seem to have decided that she needed to go low carb, but was asking about what type of carb to eat, as I read the opening post.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    I don't count carbs, just calories. I used to do low carb but found it not sustainable. Since eating more carbs I actually find that I have enough energy to walk and run as much as I do.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    edited July 2016
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    ...OP didn't seem to have decided that she needed to go low carb, but was asking about what type of carb to eat, as I read the opening post.

Ya, I feel very different after different types of carbs. Flour (bread, pancakes, baked goods, pizza) makes me sleepy. Bread made from sprouted grains does not. I feel sick after drinking apple juice. Whole apples are fine, but not as satisfying as potatoes.

When I said earlier I decreased carbs, what I really meant was that I eat less products with flour. I've upped my fruit and veggie consumption (overall carbs are still lower than before.)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    ...OP didn't seem to have decided that she needed to go low carb, but was asking about what type of carb to eat, as I read the opening post.

Ya, I feel very different after different types of carbs. Flour (bread, pancakes, baked goods, pizza) makes me sleepy. Bread made from sprouted grains does not. I feel sick after drinking apple juice. Whole apples are fine, but not as satisfying as potatoes.

Agreed. I don't have the same reactions as you, but I definitely don't think all carbs (or all protein or fat sources, for that matter) are the same. I like to have a variety, but some in much more limited quantities than others (such as those that are highly refined and come with fat).