Age an issue or an excuse?

Options
Russellb97
Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
edited July 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
So a little background. 13 years ago I weighed 330lbs and I lost 100lbs in 11 months and have lost another 30lbs gradually over the last decade. Man time flies.
What's super awesome is the fact I'm turning 40 next month and my weight is still trending down. I am active in life and play but in the past few years I only go to the gym to lift weights once a month. I'm not currently tracking but I have for years and I know I'm eating more than ever before and I'm still trending down. Sure my weight fluctuates day to day but it's in line and expected with my eating plan.
Age and metabolism may be another one of those etched in stone diet myths like eating 6 small meals a day but yet so many people claim this as a reason they gain weight. I'm just wondering what you guys think both anecdotal and research studies.

To be fair I'll give my opinion. I do not believe that metabolism is affected by age directly but more a product of losing lean body mass as we age and also adaptive response to years of dieting. Personally my metabolism at age 40 is much stronger than I was 27.

Be blessed!

Replies

• AJF230
    AJF230 Posts: 81 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Age is no excuse. People get older, have more disposable income and no little kids to chase around (generalizing, here), get themselves onto a bad feedback loop...and mistake a correlation with age to be a causation BY age.

EDIT: age could be a factor if an injury or condition correlated with age helps one gain a ton of weight, but again, its calories-in calories-out. People eating food they don't need is a whole separate situation
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    I am in the same camp as you are - the main reason for the decline in BMR is the decline in lean muscle mass in the general population as people get older - the metabolism isn't really slowing down, there's just less to maintain.

I also believe that age is an excuse... there are many people using this site that are in their 50's and 60's that are successfully losing weight (or maintaining weight loss) and are probably in the best shape of their lives.

FWIW - I am 54 and have lost 50 lbs so far and in the best condition physically that I have been in for over 25 years!

Agreed. I so wish I'd maintained the muscle I had in my 20s. However, I'm in better shape now than I was 10 years ago and at points in my 30s.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    I'm only 26, so I can't quite contribute to the excuse of age. But I think anything can be an excuse if you let it.

What I can say though, is there are folks that are in their 80s that often are lifting weights in my gym. All I can say is that I hope I kick that much butt at their age.

My mom is coming up on 79 and kicks butt at the gym :)

She can out-walk and out-garden me.

However, I've got her beat when it comes to swimming and yoga. I think the swimming is partially mental though. She's been doing the same swim for decades. I used to think lack of upper arm strength was holding her back but she should have more of that now that she's been going to the gym for a year.

At the beginning of the swimming season, I go for 20 minutes and keep increasing it until I'm over an hour. She just swims to the same point she always has.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I'm 40 and a consistent bmi 19.6-20.0 so it's possible
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Russellb97 wrote: »
    yet so many people claim this as a reason they gain weight. I'm just wondering what you guys think

I think it's a crappy excuse but super-common. I read recently that adult Americans watch, on average, six hours of video a day. There's plenty of time. People don't value their health much (beyond finding a sex partner), most of our culture is lame, and they get in a downward feedback loop.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I think age absolutely matters.
    I didn't start telling much of an effect until I reached my late 40's.
    Activity level and muscle mass matter too, of course.
    The problem is that as you age and your body naturally develops some aches and pains and stiffness it can become harder to motivate yourself to exercise or just move as much as you used to.
    They can be seen as excuses, or they can be simple statements of fact.
    At 53 I know my body doesn't respond as well as it did at 43. That's a fact. I don't use it as an excuse to not be the best 53 year old I can be!
    And to offset the declining metabolism "excuse" -- I've also found that with age my appetite has declined. It's significantly easier for me to maintain a reduced calorie diet now than it was ten or twenty years ago. Still not easy, but easier.

I think calling something an issue or an excuse is really just looking at different sides of the same coin.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Age is no excuse imo. I'm in my late 40s and have never been fitter, looked better or have eaten more in my life LOL - that's what having lots of muscle and being really active has done for me :smiley:
    But I do have good health in general, so that helps.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Some people had so many excuses as they were aging that now they use age as an excuse. Does that even make sense? lol. Still trying to have my coffee this morning.

Exercise has always been a part of my life from a very young age. My parents are in their 70's and still go hiking, kayaking, zip-lining, etc. They set a great example on how to stay physically active as you age. Now that I am 42 I make sure exercise stays part of my life. I have never been considered over weight, but I was seeing my weight creep up as I was about to turn 40. I lost 10 lbs and reduced my BF% and have been maintaining for over two years now. It is such a great feeling to be physically fit in my 40's. Plus, I like setting a good example for my kids. Another bonus is my husband and I have been together over 20 years and he still tells me how much he loves my body. (super motivating there :wink: ) Age will never be an excuse for me. We love to eat, but we also love to move! :smile:
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I think age is absolutely a factor, but it's only an excuse if you let it become one.

I've had four children, so that's four times I had to lose weight. Two of my children were born while I was in my mid to late twenties, the other two in my early to mid thirties. There was definitely a difference. With my first two, I simply cut portions and counted calories and lost the weight. It wasn't easy, took a long time, and I struggled a lot, but it worked. After my third child, eating the same way became much, much harder. I just couldn't cut my calories to the needed level without feeling constantly hungry. I suspected increasing insulin resistance (something that happens to lots of folks as they get older). I was hopelessly stuck until I switched up my diet, and went low carb. Then I lost the baby weight, plus an additional 25 lbs I never thought I'd be able to lose. My fastest post-baby weight loss so far was after my fourth child, at 35 years old, when I was already eating low carb to start with (I gained the same amount each pregnancy, so it wasn't even that I had less to lose). Anywho... I guess that's my rambling way of saying that as we age, physical changes often occur that do make it harder to lose weight the conventional way. But it only becomes an excuse if you refuse to experiment with other options.