Age an issue or an excuse?

Options

Replies

• BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    BillMcKay1 wrote: »
    The original question is kinda vague, an excuse or issue for what?

Age is an issue in regards to metabolism and recovery time. That's just a fact of life. Even the fittest seniors are not in the same physical shape as the fittest 25 year old. We all age. Any TDEE calculator out there will show you either need to be more active or eat less calories as you age to maintain weight.

Now, using your age to not be active and watch what you eat or to say you can't lose weight because of your age, that's an excuse. Or a choice. I know plenty of retired folks that are pretty happy not worrying about it and just enjoying things.

Agree with all this but..
    Any TDEE calculator out there will show you either need to be more active or eat less calories as you age to maintain weight.

Is because TDEE calculators work by making some basic assumptions, for example that someone of a specific height and sex is comprised of a certain ratio of lean mass and fat*. Or that, a given time exercising will expend a certain amount of energy.

One of the assumptions that these calculators make is that your metabolic rate will drop as you age. That is a logical assumption, since this is what happens for the bulk of a population. But it is not aging that is causing the drop in metabolic rate but the increasingly sedentary lifestyle that most of the population take on as they age.

In short there is a correlation with decreased metabolic rate and age but aging is not the cause of that decrease.

*obviously TDEE cals that take %BF into account don't fall for this assumption.

Fair enough. Using Sailrabbit I can see that the TDEE formulations that use BF% stay the same if only the age changes but activity level and BF% stay static. Those formulations also give a higher TDEE than ones that are BMI based and use age, sex,height and weight.
  • your_pal_crusher
    your_pal_crusher Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Turned 40 last month and I'm in the best shape of my life! :D

Turned 45 last month and I'm also in the best shape of my life! Cheers!
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    The original question is kinda vague, an excuse or issue for what?

Age is an issue in regards to metabolism and recovery time. That's just a fact of life. Even the fittest seniors are not in the same physical shape as the fittest 25 year old. We all age. Any TDEE calculator out there will show you either need to be more active or eat less calories as you age to maintain weight.

Now, using your age to not be active and watch what you eat or to say you can't lose weight because of your age, that's an excuse. Or a choice. I know plenty of retired folks that are pretty happy not worrying about it and just enjoying things.

Agree with all this but..
    Any TDEE calculator out there will show you either need to be more active or eat less calories as you age to maintain weight.

Is because TDEE calculators work by making some basic assumptions, for example that someone of a specific height and sex is comprised of a certain ratio of lean mass and fat*. Or that, a given time exercising will expend a certain amount of energy.

One of the assumptions that these calculators make is that your metabolic rate will drop as you age. That is a logical assumption, since this is what happens for the bulk of a population. But it is not aging that is causing the drop in metabolic rate but the increasingly sedentary lifestyle that most of the population take on as they age.

In short there is a correlation with decreased metabolic rate and age but aging is not the cause of that decrease.

*obviously TDEE cals that take %BF into account don't fall for this assumption.

Fair enough. Using Sailrabbit I can see that the TDEE formulations that use BF% stay the same if only the age changes but activity level and BF% stay static. Those formulations also give a higher TDEE than ones that are BMI based and use age, sex,height and weight.

Interesting: @orlcam is a MFP user and wrote the Silrabbit calculator.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    I'm 66 and have been lifting weights for 2 years now and lost about 65 lbs altogether since 2013. I also run and swim. I think older people tend to be less active generally and that, combined with muscle loss means, we can't eat as much as we used to, but as long as you're aware of how much you can eat and also add a bit of exercise in it's totally just as easy or hard for us as it is for anyone else.

I think we may also need even more protein as we age, especially if we're using our muscles more than the average Jack or Jill, to prevent some of that muscle loss.

Here's to being a fit old lady!
  • thenananator
    thenananator Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Lack of self confidence disguised as an excuse. I will be 52 in September and the self talk throughout my 40s kept me fat. I lacked the self confidence to say f-it! I am donning a pair of damn spandex and heading to the gym. Damn it all. And here I am. over 40lbs off since the end of February. I tell any young person I meet along this journey to do it now. Don't have regrets like that. Time goes by so swiftly....
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I am unquestionably in better shape than at any time in my life, now, at 48, but for me that does mean heavier than before, not technically underweight like I usually was (I like being skinny, but it's probably not the healthiest state to maintain).
    I feel like I can't eat as much, but think this is very likely a lifestyle thing as it's hard to skip suppers now with all the kids at home, need to set a good example, and it's hard to skip supper and run in the morning, and I am pretty sure that being able to skip supper when not hungry was a big part of keeping my weight low (it's easy for me to go to sleep without eating anything, but very difficult to skip lunch)

My mom gained some as she got older older, but again, this just got her to the middle of a healthy range.

But I suppose the bottom line is that I can still trust my body to stay in a good weight and shape if I eat moderately and work out daily, and that's been the case for my life. Not through the menopause yet though, so I do not know if that will mess me up any. But....

When I was a teen, everybody said "you won't be able to eat like that when you are 20 without getting fat"
    When I was in my 20s it was "wait until you are thirty, you won't be able to eat like that without getting fat"
    When I was in my 30s it was "wait until you are forty, you won't be able to eat like that without getting fat"
    and now it's "wait till menopause"

So maybe it will be a non event like those others were, who knows?
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    @chunky_pinup You're grandma looks FANTASTIC :o
  • Dannigreen31
    Dannigreen31 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Nah I'm 31 and fitter now than I was in my 20s and hopefully continue getting fitter
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Um... 30 and 40 is not "age." Those of you of in this group are just spring chickens. B)

After menopause I started to see my weight creep up with no appreciable change in diet or exercise. I'm here to lose the pounds I gained. Obviously I need to refine my diet and my exercise regime. And also to accept that time and gravity do change the body -- which is especially true for women, and unfortunately more so for women who are well-endowed in the chest.

So...yes, age is a factor. But it's not an excuse.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I don't think age itself is a factor but rather all those pesky health issues that go with it. For over a year, I had kept off 50 pounds, regularly weighing 116-119 pounds. However, at age 44, I have perimenopause to deal with now. Once I started gaining a little weight, I tweaked my diet and now maintain enough of a deficit to supposedly LOSE a pound a week. However, have I lost any? Not really ... this is with continuing cardio 5x a week with 2 of those times being HIIT and also 2-3x a week with weight lifting. I am doing everything in MY control and it is like I am swimming in an undertow at times. I am not giving up but it is so frustrating to know that you are doing everything you can but your body is rebelling against you. I also have auto-immune issues (UC) and my body likes to retain body inflammation. However, until menopausal symptoms starting coming on, I was able to deal with that body inflammation through diet and exercise.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I'm utterly shocked at how many experts in human metabolism we have here. Especially because the consensus opinion is in stark contrast to all known biomedical research on the processes and biochemical effects of aging, cumulative damage to subcellular and organ systems, DNA damage and repair, apoptotic cascading and the like.

I will post a more comprehensive literature review later when I get a chance to sit down at my computer and pull key articles, but it seems the height of ignorance and/or arrogance to conclude aging has no effect on our ability to stay physically fit or affect body composition and caloric needs over time.

I think you are way overthinking this. I think we all know that as we age our body changes. I don't see where anyone here is at the "height of ignorance and/or arrogance".
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    It would be very informative if everyone posting would list their age.

It's really, really easy in your 30s or even early to mid 40s to think aging isn't an issue.

I think for many people it's wishful thinking (if I say it's not an issue then it won't be for me when I get there!).

I stick by my earlier assertion that age can be both an issue and an excuse. None of us ages the same, even if we're in top condition in our younger years. We don't all have the same genetics. Some will hit the jackpot as far as aging well and others won't. For those who won't it can be a legitimate excuse. I know quite a few extremely fit, health conscious people who have developed unpreventable age-related health issues. To tell those people that age is just an excuse would be absurd. OTOH I know middle aged/older people who are perfectly capable of improving themselves who do use their age as an excuse. And I've known people who in middle age (or later) find themselves finally with the time and resources to devote to themselves instead of others, are genetically lucky enough to not be hindered by age-related health issues and get in the best shape of their lives. There is no blanket "yes" or "no" answer here.
  • BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I'm utterly shocked at how many experts in human metabolism we have here. Especially because the consensus opinion is in stark contrast to all known biomedical research on the processes and biochemical effects of aging, cumulative damage to subcellular and organ systems, DNA damage and repair, apoptotic cascading and the like.

I will post a more comprehensive literature review later when I get a chance to sit down at my computer and pull key articles, but it seems the height of ignorance and/or arrogance to conclude aging has no effect on our ability to stay physically fit or affect body composition and caloric needs over time.

Drama much? Who was saying anything like that?
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    My grandmother is 94 years old...she looks like she's about 70 and goes to the gym and strength trains every day, followed by water aerobics. Her major weight fluctuations are when her prednisone prescription gets altered for her arthritis. She has had times in her life where she has not been super healthy, but I think she's living proof that you can change your life at any time...age is just a mentality. You have to put the work in, regardless of how many times you've been around the sun. It may be easier at certain ages, but it's never impossible.

uth4asjrz4z2.jpg

I'm sorry, that woman is in her 90s? She really does look amazing! I have nothing productive to add to this discussion but I had to comment.