Do you eat it just because it's free??

Options
I apologize ahead of time for this rant, but I just can't understand!!! I have a friend who is constantly talking about trying to be healthy, yet yesterday was 7/11 so she got free slurpees....5 yes 5 free slurpees to be exact!! Then today is dress like a cow day at Chick Fil E, so sure enough, she is putting spots all over her body, so she can visit every chick fil e in the valley and eat free all day!

Free is always nice, but is it really worth your health??

edited to say: I realize I should just worry about myself and I have the choice NOT to partake. sorry for the rant!! Have a healthy day everyone!!

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Well...I did not partake in free slurpee day yesterday but only because it's too much out of my way. If I like it and it's free, yes I'll have some. But ONE...not FIVE. Portion control is our friend...
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I used to... It's not been hard to refuse free food but now I'm really hyper aware of just how many opportunities there are to eat for free that you haven't planned for
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I am having to break myself of this habit and it's difficult. There have been a few very hard times in my life where I didn't know where the next meal was coming from. So now I'm struggling to not chipmunk any free food just because it's there.
  • amieleighmac84
    amieleighmac84 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Let me tell you!! I work in a hospital and all of the nurses are CONSTANTLY bringing in junk food to share with everyone. A coconut layer bar is NOT worth my health! Neither are those free samples in front of the food court at the mall or when it was national donut day and they were giving out free donuts at dunks!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Most people who talk a lot about wanting to be healthy really have no concept of what that means. Your friend is one of those...she has no concept nor is she even remotely committed to even trying to live a healthier lifestyle. Sure...a slurpee now and then, whatevs....some free fried chicken here and there, no biggie. But it sounds like those things are front and center in her lifestyle.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't go to places for free food, such as you descibed (though I might if someone asked me to go with them). But when free food is available, yeah I almost always go for it. Like free lunch day at work, or snacks at a meeting. Maybe it's all the years when I didn't have much money and free food meant more money for other things. I don't know. I just like free stuff.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    WHAT? Yesterday was free Slurpee day?
  • mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    In the past I'd be like "free? Awesome!" and eat if they were giving some stuff up. Nowadays when my bff and I talk about not being able to "afford" a cupcake, we're talking about our macros. My health and goals now mean a lot more to me than money.When I'm talking free though I mean going into a bank and they have cookies. If my calories allow it, I'd take one, but I've never really done any promotions.

"Free" Usually means ridiculous crowds of people. I rather pay lol.
  • LB2812
    LB2812 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    yea, it doesn't sound like this person is really interested in getting healthy or knowing what that means.

If a place is doing a free-food promo, i don't go unless i'd of gone to get it anyway. i normally don't go to 7-11 and get slurpees, so i'm not going to go because it's free. if it's something i like and might buy anyway, then i would, but i'd just get the one.

I do find this is a struggle when people bring in food to work and it's in front of my face... not only is it free food, but food that will otherwise go to waste! Gah! I may have a healthy meal prepped for lunch but if I see sandwiches & cookies & stuff in the board room available for free - that's my struggle not to take it! I'm getting better though! usually by reminding myself that my stuff is usually better anyway :laugh:
  • MirandaMilan
    MirandaMilan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have a very difficult time passing up free food. I've been poor in my life, and I always looked at it as saving money. (But 5? Really? One is enough!) As for coconut bars and donuts? Desserts are my weakness. I hate to say it, but being very new at this dieting thing, I probably couldn't resist a free coconut bar right now. I'd probably compensate by skipping lunch. I know - that's terribly unhealthy. I'm hoping to reset my cravings by changing my lifestyle. Maybe I can learn to be indifferent to sweets...maybe.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Most people who talk a lot about wanting to be healthy really have no concept of what that means. Your friend is one of those...she has no concept nor is she even remotely committed to even trying to live a healthier lifestyle. Sure...a slurpee now and then, whatevs....some free fried chicken here and there, no biggie. But it sounds like those things are front and center in her lifestyle.

Going for free Chick-fil-a and Slurpees does not = those things being front and center in life. Nor does it = not committed to being healthy.

Healthy does not mean that you can not enjoy these thing once in a while.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    "Free" Usually means ridiculous crowds of people. I rather pay lol.

Yeah, that's my take. I love free, but not if it's going to be a pain in the tuckus to get it, and not if it's something I wouldn't already buy. Heck, I have a coupon for a free slushie for the mini-market across the street from my house, and it's been stuck on my fridge about a year.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I will eat nearly anything if it's free and I like it. Too much time spent as a student.
  • hzliiz
    hzliiz Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    No but I also don't hesitate to throw out leftovers. Used to think I shouldn't "waste" food but I realized if I put it in my body when I don't need it that I'm pretty much treating my body like a trash can. Free? Already paid for? Not reasons for me to eat it if I don't need the fuel.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    Wow.
    NOT what I thought this would be about. hahaha :blushing:
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Hehe I'd happily bike over to the nearest one for free chicken if they were doing that here. Wouldn't be caught dead handing that chain my cold hard cash but I'll relieve them of some sandwiches if they insist ;)
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    To me it is not free if I have to drive and use my gas (which costs money) to get to all the stores/restaurants/gas stations just to get the "free" food.

I live in a small town, so falling for the "free" gimmicks would require at least a half hour to hour drive one way. So not worth a free slurpee.

Sounds like your friend doesnt have anything better to do than drive all over just to get "free" stuff. I have a full time job and 2 kids in sports, who has time to drive to all these places? I cannot even get home before 9 pm to eat dinner at home.
  • sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    No not in all cases, if I had a cow costume would I go to chick fil a today to get that free meal yeah sure I would but I think that chick fil a actually uses real food and they do have a lot healthier options not for an all the time thing but for the occasional treat yes, any other fast food chain, NO, and for free slurpies absolutely not
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Going for free Chick-fil-a and Slurpees does not = those things being front and center in life. Nor does it = not committed to being healthy.

Healthy does not mean that you can not enjoy these thing once in a while.

From how the OP stated it, it sounds like this person is pretty much hitting every free this or that during the week...that sounds pretty front and center to me...but whatevs. To me it didn't sound like, "every once in awhile my friend has a free slurpee"...her friend had ****ing 5 slurpees or didn't you read that?

You obviously don't know me because I'm well aware that you don't have to deprive yourself. But regular consumption of fried chicken and slurpess isn't exactly getting your nutrition on. But again...whatever
  • princessdartany
    princessdartany Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I use to be one of those people....never dressed up though too much effort. However, yesterday at Publix they were sampling the meal of the week and I didn't take a sample. My immediate thought was can I afford these calories, and how will I count them any way....So no its not worth your health. Over eating sucks!!!! I know because I was not only a member of that club...I was the queen!