Do you eat it just because it's free??

Options

Replies

• 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Then today is dress like a cow day at Chick Fil E, so sure enough, she is putting spots all over her body, so she can visit every chick fil e in the valley and eat free all day!

Really??!!! I think I have a cow bell around here and face paint!

(I was raised without much money to go around, - FREE was always taken advantage of!; it can be a very ingrained mindset!! but FIVE Slurpees and ALL[\b] the ChickFilA stores locally -is a bit much!
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Sure every once in a while it's fun.
    You know there IS such thing as moderation.

DOn't live your life as a wet blanket.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Oh, I used to when I was a grad student! It took me a long time to get out of that "I must grab all the free food I can, because free food" mindset. That helped me get by when I could barely afford food, but surely contributed to my weight gain.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    if i'm *just* eating it, it better be free.

oh wait.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    No I don't eat because food is free. I can control myself. But Booze...I never say no to free booze.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    No I don't eat because food is free. I can control myself. But Booze...I never say no to free booze.
    QFT
  • Katkamm77
    Katkamm77 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    WHAT? Yesterday was free Slurpee day?

My thought exactly! When's the next one? Um, for my kids....yeah, that's the ticket
  • ninjakitty419
    ninjakitty419 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    People bring in desserts to work all the time, and yes i USED to be one of those people who would take it if it was free. Maybe. If there wasn't people around to judge me. And I certainly would not take more than one for fear of being judged! Now I still might take ONE if I want it and have the spare cals but for the most part I have broken myself of the "eat it because it is there" mentality.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Two weeks ago, they were giving away full-sized Magnum ice cream bars. FOR FREE! I will never forget that day. Never.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Dressing like a cow day. Love it! Nowhere (as far as I know) does things like that in England! Occasionally you might get a free slice of cheese at a supermarket deli counter! By slice, I mean a tiny little square.

I doubt I'd go for free food like that though. I'd feel embarrassed. Maybe that's an English, reserved thing.

The only time I got something for free was when I graduated and I went to Dunkin Donuts (near Canterbury cathedral) in my cap and gown to get a drink, and the woman gave my friend and I some free mini donuts as a graduation gift!

I work as a teacher and very occasionally people bring biscuits (cookies) for the staff room. I usually make sure I'm prepared with healthy snacks so can ignore any temptations. Sometimes I might eat one with a coffee.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

Hmm, I might not go for free food, but would definitely go for free booze!
  • Katkamm77
    Katkamm77 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I used to think I would take anything that was free. I don't anymore. Only if it's something I can use.
    Oprah had a show once where she had tables of give away stuff. One table had brand new sneakers. ALL of them left shoes only. One woman took one. When Oprah asked her why she would take one shoe that didn't have a partner the woman said, "for my dog." LOL
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Two weeks ago, they were giving away full-sized Magnum ice cream bars. FOR FREE! I will never forget that day. Never.

*still reliving this magical day*
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I'm very cheap, so honestly, if it's free, yes I will eat it.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Depends. I don't partake of free items I wouldn't normally eat just because they are free (that's just silly), but when my local grocery store has their buy-one-get-one-free sales in the meat and/or produce department, I most definitely stock up my freezer/fridge.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    This thread is a good reminder to me to stop eating the free food at work so often. The truth is that often I can't tell accurately whether it fits in my calories or macros or not. I think I'm taking a small piece of cake and I estimate and log it, but my estimate might be way under. That's how I gained weight before. I am all for moderation and I don't think I need to cut out treats completely, but I do need to do it a lot less often.

Another problem I have is with leftovers at dinner. I need to only eat one portion and be willing to throw extra food away if needed. In the past I didn't want to "waste" food. But throwing it in my stomach is worse than throwing it away because I don't need it and it hurts my health.

Allow me to introduce you to your freezer. All those leftover portions can be put away for another day when you don't feel like cooking. No need to stuff yourself OR waste food.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    The free food I have a problem passing up is the stuff that is put out at a party/ BBQ type of event. No matter how many time I tell myself I'm going to control it, I always end up eating too many appetizers, to the point of feeling full and then eat dinner too. If it's out in front of me and I like it I cannot pass it up.
  • KokowithaK
    KokowithaK Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I try *really* hard not to but I feel like since I've decided to lead a healthier lifestyle, more people have been offering me free, *unhealthy* food! And I'm more aware of it now because I watch what I eat nowadays. Yesterday, a friend offered me rhubarb crisp; I took one small piece. And then they kept offering me more...I had to say no but they tried to say that I didn't 'need' to worry about this kind of stuff. Another person offered me an entire platte of thai food that they brought back to work; it was lo mein, pork fried rice, and egg rolls. I ended up giving it to someone else and throwing the rest away because noone would eat it. I *hate* throwing away food but I also don't want to eat it as well.
  • IronFiend
    IronFiend Posts: 44 Member
    Options

"Free" Usually means ridiculous crowds of people. I rather pay lol.

Me too!
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Who are you to judge what others do?
    mckayla-maroney-meme-getty.jpg