Do you eat it just because it's free??

Options

Replies

• youcantfoolme
    youcantfoolme Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. As realtors, my daughter and I would decide which homes to preview often based on what was for lunch. An open house with a great lunch would always garner more agents and realtors than a caravan without food. People just love to get something for free.
  • russellbrand69
    russellbrand69 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I work in a busy part of the city with loads of office workers - they are always giving out free crap around here.
    Chocolate bars, chocolate muffins, and french bread are three most recent promotions where they were handing out free junk food.

The chocolate bar one - there was a stand with free chocolate bars, but a guy took your photo! Unbelievable - are people so mean they don't care about their image being used by marketing people as long as they get a free bar (about 1 euro, so maybe like a dollar or 2)?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Most people who talk a lot about wanting to be healthy really have no concept of what that means. Your friend is one of those...she has no concept nor is she even remotely committed to even trying to live a healthier lifestyle. Sure...a slurpee now and then, whatevs....some free fried chicken here and there, no biggie. But it sounds like those things are front and center in her lifestyle.

Going for free Chick-fil-a and Slurpees does not = those things being front and center in life. Nor does it = not committed to being healthy.

Healthy does not mean that you can not enjoy these thing once in a while.

From how the OP stated it, it sounds like this person is pretty much hitting every free this or that during the week...that sounds pretty front and center to me...but whatevs. To me it didn't sound like, "every once in awhile my friend has a free slurpee"...her friend had ****ing 5 slurpees or didn't you read that?

7-Eleven only offers them free once a year so, no the fact that she had 5 isn't a sign of anything other than she likes free stuff. And the OP only mentions 2 incidences of free food eating. Besides, 7-Eleven has Diet Coke slurpees now so the slurpees could have been calorie free for all we know.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    i had me a slurpee yesterday!!
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I apologize ahead of time for this rant, but I just can't understand!!! I have a friend who is constantly talking about trying to be healthy, yet yesterday was 7/11 so she got free slurpees....5 yes 5 free slurpees to be exact!! Then today is dress like a cow day at Chick Fil E, so sure enough, she is putting spots all over her body, so she can visit every chick fil e in the valley and eat free all day!

Free is always nice, but is it really worth your health??

edited to say: I realize I should just worry about myself and I have the choice NOT to partake. sorry for the rant!! Have a healthy day everyone!!

The old me yes, I always thought of eating from a budget stand point and the only thing that kept me from eating something I wanted was the cost, I still find myself thinking that way now. An example was yesterday we were in walmart getting something quick for dinner (still low cal but quick because it was 10 pm and we had been at the gym) and my thought while in line was if we go get a cheese burger its only a dollar and each one of these things was closer to 2.50 then I remembered I was thinking of the wrong "budget" lol So when your not thinking about calorie content sometimes people's initial response towards food is grab what evers cheapest :p This apply's to all freebies too, couldn't pass up free food :p
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    In the past I always go for free food.. that's when I put on weight LOL! Since I really cleaned up my diet I resists 80% of the time now (sometime I feel guilted into it by co workers) but its a WIP. It's very possible to do but it takes discipline, just like following any diet really!
  • delaniecastillo
    Options
    Let me tell you!! I work in a hospital and all of the nurses are CONSTANTLY bringing in junk food to share with everyone. A coconut layer bar is NOT worth my health! Neither are those free samples in front of the food court at the mall or when it was national donut day and they were giving out free donuts at dunks!

I am in the same field except with more pharm reps. I usually dictate food choices so I get to give myself a healthier choice and portion control. LIke today, they brought in food today and though it "looks" healthy enough, it was chalked with sodium and sugars. NOPE NOPE NOPE. So, you can have free food just be aware of portion control. I usually sing Prince P*ssy Control and change the word to Portion Control when I serve myself. Yes, I am a nerd.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    It's lovely to see someone get past a rant, instead of getting more and more defensive. Have a beautiful day!

I can't eat most of the things that are free, unless it's tiny samples of cheese, and even then, I worry that crackers, or knives that have been used to cut bread might be involved. It's too much trouble to ask if everything is gluten free, so I generally mostly eat my own food.
  • jadermary
    jadermary Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Free is my favorite price! I love bagel Friday at work!
    If I can keep it within my calorie goal then I eat it. If I can't well...... sometimes I still eat it and sometimes I don't :laugh: .
  • babyj0
    babyj0 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    My company buys us lunch twice a week. When someone is on a budget, and doesn't bring lunch, it's hard to pass up. But always know your limit. Just because its free, doesn't mean you have to eat all of it! :)
  • classictoaster
    Options
    As a college student, "free" was my downfall as a freshman. Of course, I wasn't "going out of my way" to get it; it was right on campus, I didn't even have to drive! These days, I steer clear of that junk. It's just not worth it most of the time.
  • IMarieB
    IMarieB Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Free is good, I like free, If they'd give away free Starbucks I'd be there. Its all about choosing what you REALLY want and can afford in your diet. Not just eating to eat. That in my opinion is being greedy!
  • IMarieB
    IMarieB Posts: 33 Member
    Options
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    If it fits in my day and I like it...yes, absolutely! But, I have become quite adept at dodging free stuff at the office. That said, I am very said that I missed free Slurpees...no 7/11 in my area.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    No, I don't eat things just because they are free. I don't eat junk food.
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Most people who talk a lot about wanting to be healthy really have no concept of what that means. Your friend is one of those...she has no concept nor is she even remotely committed to even trying to live a healthier lifestyle. Sure...a slurpee now and then, whatevs....some free fried chicken here and there, no biggie. But it sounds like those things are front and center in her lifestyle.

Going for free Chick-fil-a and Slurpees does not = those things being front and center in life. Nor does it = not committed to being healthy.

Healthy does not mean that you can not enjoy these thing once in a while.

ok I love you!! haha! that was exactly my point!

From how the OP stated it, it sounds like this person is pretty much hitting every free this or that during the week...that sounds pretty front and center to me...but whatevs. To me it didn't sound like, "every once in awhile my friend has a free slurpee"...her friend had ****ing 5 slurpees or didn't you read that?

You obviously don't know me because I'm well aware that you don't have to deprive yourself. But regular consumption of fried chicken and slurpess isn't exactly getting your nutrition on. But again...whatever

ok I love you!! haha! that was exactly my point! she's not hard up for money...she's just eating it in mass qty's because it's free!
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I believe "Eyes on our own plates" would apply. Why do we feel moral superiority when someone makes different food choices than we do? Food is amoral. Eating certain foods or not eating certain foods does not make you a better person. It doesn't even necessarily make you a healthier person either. Maybe for this person going and getting 5 slurpees and dressing up like a cow is fun for her. Good for her for enjoying herself.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    its supposed to be 1 per customer
    ya that's hoggish
    she couldn't just have 1 but she had to have 5
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Fyi one small 7-11 slush is over 100 cals
    like 170- 190 each
    drinking cals
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Fyi one small 7-11 slush is over 100 cals
    like 170- 190 each
    drinking cals

And having 950 calories of slurpees once a year = unhealthy?