Done with fast food.

Options

Replies

• dearcassandrab
    dearcassandrab Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Man thanks for everyone's responses it's cool to see everyone's different thoughts and go tos! Bahahaha paige I laughed so hard! Usually when I put my mind to it I will do it I have a lot of discipline but I too believe in food addiction, and I've overcome most of the things I used to eat every day. Candy, soda, sugary cereal. Occasionally I have an Oreo, or a graham cracker, or a bowl of cereal. Sodas I had to stop drinking because I couldn't have one or two a week. It would always be more. I haven't had a soda in almost 4 months.
  • dearcassandrab
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Man I miss pizza. I gave it up awhile ago because of the cheese! There are dairy free pizzas that I could get but the drive is kinda far, and it's kind of pricey so I've avoided it! But maybe for a cheat day I'll try it out. I don't know if I could go without cheat days but kudos to you friend that's really cool! You are a tough cookie. Ouch salt burn. :/ that sucks. I had to quit eating fried chicken. Can't eat mashed potatoes either. I can make these things dairy free at home so I've really improved my cooking skills. lol
  • JC77721
    JC77721 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that fast food bloats me (I don't know what could be the reason). So I eat it only once a week
  • dearcassandrab
    Options
    Does the same to me I think it's sodium.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    dykask wrote: »
    I just had a very large 9 vegetable salad with a 120g salmon filet, not bad for fast food. (7-11 no less, but in Tokyo, Japan)

I'll be in the states in a couple of weeks, I always have a hard time finding reasonable food there. It seems the food groups there are only Burgers/assorted fattening sandwiches, Pseudo Mexican, and Teriyaki rice dishes. The other thing is the portion sizes ... seems like US children in the states eat like Japanese sumo wrestlers, it is kind of scary. For example take a milkshake ... The small McDonalds one in the US is like 3 times the size of a milkshake form a Japanese McDonalds, plus you don't get whip cream and a cherry on top. I guess the good thing is you get multiple meals from one purchase if you can control your eating.

Sorry if my post is a bit too flip, but living outside the states a few years really helps one realize how horrible the food situation in the states often is. You can get a lot of cheap fast food but ... well there are reasons so many are obese in the USA.

Oh well, guess you're in trouble then.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I have been fast food free for about 4 years. I still do Starbucks with whipped cream and have had a couple of Dilly bars from DQ but that is it. I'm a celiac and eating out is bad for my health so I don't do it.

For the past year, I have eaten a LCHF ketogenic diet so now fast food fits my menu even less.

I do feel better without it. My bloat wasn't sodium, it was the food that was hurting me... There isn't much about fast food that would not be better served by eating other whole foods or homemade foods, IMO. No one needs fast food, it's just a want that people indulge. Some can handle it and some can't. I couldn't so I don't eat it.
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I could so tear into this bad boy!!! However, willpower has won out..I haven't had fast food in some time..although I have had a couple of Egg McMuffins in the past few months..

I love the McGriddles..those sumbitches are tasty!

eisxf5wsalnw.jpg
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I recently cut out dairy and before that I would occasionally cheat with fast food. That ends today. I'm tired of being derailed by this greasy demon. It makes me bloated and heavy. DONE. Anyone else done?

I've been done for a few years now, and I honestly don't miss it.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    When driving, McDonald's coffee can save my life and yours. I do not forswear the fast food, but I do eschew the greasy stuff.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I'm in the "if I ban it I'll just want it more" camp. I eat fast food a couple of times a week. I stay within my calories and hit my macros just fine. There are actually plenty of fast-food options that give you pretty similar calories, macros, and nutrients as a home cooked meal (cooked by me, at least, LOL). I decided for myself that learning to make smart choices in any situation was more useful to me than forcing myself to never have it again.

I really wish people wouldn't stereotype food in the US like we live in a greasy pile of sugared fat that we helplessly shovel down our pie-holes. Sure, there is easy access to nutrient-deficient, calorie dense food. But we also have easy access (in most areas at least) to nutrient-rich whole food and fresh produce. Heck, I can get a grilled chicken sandwich, a small chili, and an unsweetened iced tea at Wendy's, or I can get triple cheeseburger, large fries, a Frosty, and a Coke. I can go to 7-11 and get something unrecognizable hermetically sealed in plastic, or I can go to a farmer's market.

Sorry OP, I went off on a tangent! Sorry you have to give up dairy :(. I hope you find what works for you and reach your goals! :drinker:
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    We have take out only maybe once a month. Not because it's bad or unhealthy, it's just how it seems to fall. Then again this would probably be different if I lived in the US, where you have an enormous variety of fast food outlets to choose from and much more temptation.

Our main choices are:

Mcdonalds (my hubby refuses to eat there)
    Hungry jacks(burger king), (neither myself or hubby like their food)
    KFC
    Pizza
    and our local fish n chip shops

Not very exciting or tasty options lol
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    We have take out only maybe once a month. Not because it's bad or unhealthy, it's just how it seems to fall. Then again this would probably be different if I lived in the US, where you have an enormous variety of fast food outlets to choose from and much more temptation.

Our main choices are:

KFC
    Pizza

Where are you at? Alice Springs?
  • Christine_72
    edited July 2016
    Options

Our main choices are:

KFC
    Pizza

Where are you at? Alice Springs?

Lol Adelaide, the forgotten state.

ETA: Population 1.7 million. You often see postcards saying "Adelaide at night" and it's just a blank black picture!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Man I miss pizza. I gave it up awhile ago because of the cheese! There are dairy free pizzas that I could get but the drive is kinda far, and it's kind of pricey so I've avoided it! But maybe for a cheat day I'll try it out. I don't know if I could go without cheat days but kudos to you friend that's really cool! You are a tough cookie. Ouch salt burn. :/ that sucks. I had to quit eating fried chicken. Can't eat mashed potatoes either. I can make these things dairy free at home so I've really improved my cooking skills. lol

Exactly... I can make (almost) everything at home and have control over the ingredients! I make homemade pizza now and honestly I can't stand most pizzas anymore (unless it's from those fancy Italian restaurants).
  • dykask
    dykask Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I'm in the "if I ban it I'll just want it more" camp. I eat fast food a couple of times a week. I stay within my calories and hit my macros just fine. There are actually plenty of fast-food options that give you pretty similar calories, macros, and nutrients as a home cooked meal (cooked by me, at least, LOL). I decided for myself that learning to make smart choices in any situation was more useful to me than forcing myself to never have it again.

I really wish people wouldn't stereotype food in the US like we live in a greasy pile of sugared fat that we helplessly shovel down our pie-holes. Sure, there is easy access to nutrient-deficient, calorie dense food. But we also have easy access (in most areas at least) to nutrient-rich whole food and fresh produce. Heck, I can get a grilled chicken sandwich, a small chili, and an unsweetened iced tea at Wendy's, or I can get triple cheeseburger, large fries, a Frosty, and a Coke. I can go to 7-11 and get something unrecognizable hermetically sealed in plastic, or I can go to a farmer's market.

Sorry OP, I went off on a tangent! Sorry you have to give up dairy :(. I hope you find what works for you and reach your goals! :drinker:

1) A grilled chicken sandwich from Wendy's doesn't sound very good to me. Yuck, and I happen to like chicken. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
    2) I really think it depends where you are. There are vast areas of the states where there aren't farmers markets or even good grocery stores within walking distance at least. Obama's food deserts. Road trips in the states are often really bad for food as the signs mostly just point out McDonalds, Burger King, KFC, etc.
    3) 7-11 in the US is horrible for food! 7-11 in Japan is totally different, you can't even buy gas there but they do have a fair amount of reasonable food. Also a great many other services.
  • Christine_72
    edited July 2016
    Options
    We have Wendy's here, but they are only located in 9-5 shopping centres. All they do is hotdogs, donuts and milkshakes.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,651 Member
    Options
    I don't eat fast food as much as I used to but that's only because I would drive to various places during the week for lunch. Now I walk during that hour and eat either grilled chicken strips or a tuna pouch at my desk once I get back. I like to eat lightly during the day so that's why so little.

Normally I would get a grilled chicken filet and side salad at Burger King or Wendys or chicken salad at Subway. I really like the chicken at Burger King and Wendys, actually.

I kinda wanna go to christine's Wendys tho!
  • Christine_72
    Options
    ^^^^ Oh we have subway, forgot about that one.

@glassyo Your Wendy's menu looks a million times yummier than our 3 selection crap.