SAY "NO" TO LATE NIGHT SNACKING -- AUGUST 2016 CHALLENGE

Options
lamlamsmakeover
lamlamsmakeover Posts: 6,574 Member
edited July 2016 in Challenges
Tired of self-sabotaging by munching after dinner? Upset that you double your in-calories at night? Then it's not just me . To get some help (or inspire us by your good example), please join us in this challenge.

You set what you feel is late night snacking. For example, if you have extra calories left for the day, you can have a snack if it's small. Others decide not to eat at a past a certain time. It's up to you.

We go by the formula:
Me: "number indicating how many evenings you stuck to it"
LNS: "number of times late night snacks won"

Example: Me: 2 - LNS: 0 indicates I won the first two nights.

Some people also add a * to the latest number. In the example, that would be
Me: 2 - LNS: 1*
if LNS won the 3rd night.

It's as simple as that. Or as complicated, as you will discover. Nevertheless, the persistence and good results of some of our "old" members (and some people keep coming back) show that the battle is worthwhile .

You will notice some people post streaks of how many days they are free of late night snacking. This is definitely not a requirement, but if you want to do it for motivation, it works well.

Welcome!

Replies

• LucyMcd1
    LucyMcd1 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'll try starting tomorrow night! :) Late night snacking, for me, would be after 7:30, I guess. I'm not too sure lol. Good luck everyone!

Me: 0
    LNS: 0
  • CarrieA180
    CarrieA180 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Yay! :)

Goals for the month:

- No eating after 7 pm.
    - Stay consistent with BOTH eating and exercise.

Me:
    LNS:
    Streak: 7
  • Wysewoman53
    Wysewoman53 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Thank you, @lamlam2013 ! This is so much a part of my morning ritual now, I wouldn't know what to do without it!

Question: I lost my streak last month and have been recording it as 'LNS: 1' for the month of July. Do I keep recording the temporary loss of my mind as 'LNS: 1' for the month of August, too?
  • CherylMelbourne
    CherylMelbourne Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've recently been struggling with snacking in general, so I think cutting it out in the evenings is a great place to start! So... Allow 1 night a week of snacking. Other than that, no snacks after 7:30pm.

Me: 0

Streak: 0
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,203 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @lamlam2013 Thanks again for setting up the August challenge.
    @WalkerPop Thanks for the accolade. Glad to be back in the fold!

July Goals
    • Finish eating at 9 pm 25/31 nights. 20/25
    • Finish eating at 10 pm 6/31 nights of my choice. 3/6
    • Chose to be strong!

Me: 23*
    Streak: 23... (148 overall) :smiley: [/b]

I chose to break my streak. We went on a celebration cruise (50th Wedding Anniversary) and were on 2nd sitting dinner, so didn't finish dinner until way after 10pm. I am starting fresh today!

August Goals
    • Finish eating at 9 pm 25/31 nights. 1/25
    • Finish eating at 10 pm 6/31 nights of my choice. 1/6
    • Chose to be strong!

Me: 1*
    Streak: 1... (Previous streak: 148) :smiley:

:star:Do, or don't do! :star:
    :star: There is no try! :star:
    Yoda

:heart: Keeping it real! :heart:
    :star: Adulting all the way! :star:

• lamlamsmakeover
    Options
    Aug 1

Streak: 1
  • lamlamsmakeover
    Options
    WalkerPop wrote: »
    Question: I lost my streak last month and have been recording it as 'LNS: 1' for the month of July. Do I keep recording the temporary loss of my mind as 'LNS: 1' for the month of August, too?

No. Every month brings a "clean slate." We all start the new month with ZERO wins and ZERO losses! We started logging our streaks across the months several months ago as an additional milestone. While many have started doing it, @lamlam2013's original post each month doesn't even mention tracking a streak. I just find it encouraging and challenging to see that number grow. Realistically, I know it will reset before long. (I will probably mindlessly munch on something after my cutoff ...which is what happened the last time I broke my streak.)

Just a thought for the newbies: Set goals that have room for life. Personally, I like allowing a few days (of my choice) each month to have a more relaxed cutoff time. (Thank you for the format idea, @TerriRichardson112!) With that I allow myself "grace" for a night I come home really late or am out with family. It's still not "open" to allow grazing all night, but leaves room for life to happen.

Having said all that, here are mine for August. :smirk:

August Late Night Snacking Goals Update:
    • Eat nothing after 8:30pm 26/31 nights. 0/26
    • Eat nothing after 10:30pm 5/31 nights of my choice. 0/5
    • Choose to adult, instead of impulse today.
    Children do what feels good.
    Adults devise a plan and follow it.
    Maturity is the ability to delay pleasure.

Absolutely what @Walkerpop said!! :smiley:
  • CarrieA180
    CarrieA180 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Streak: 8

:)
  • workoutjem
    workoutjem Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Me: 1
    Streak: 1
  • Wysewoman53
    Wysewoman53 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Thanks, @WalkerPop ! As usual, a voice of reason in a sea of crazy!

August

Streak: 8
  • 7seas_sailing
    7seas_sailing Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Okay. I'm in too. *stealing @WalkerPop plan*
  • PrairieChicken84
    PrairieChicken84 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I am injured right now, so I can't do any kind of fitness challenge, I need something to motivate me. Not eating after 8pm seems like a great (challenging) goal. So far I'm
    Me: 2
    LNS 0
    My Birthday is this weekend, so I know I'll cheat that one day. I'm going to allow myself 5/30 LNS nights.