WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2016

Options

Replies

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Becca, I am with you on movie houses. I hate the surround sound. That's why it is hard for me to go to different places Charlie does his Karaoke. Some places are so proud of the excellent sound systems they have fro their singers. And the singers love it also! But my MS hates it and it makes me exhausted. It is just such an overload. Our senior price here in town is $7.50 to see a movie and it just isn't worth it. It was pretty much impossible when Charlie had his ulcerative colitis but now that problem is over so he is wanting to go to movies. He loves the sound in his man cave pretty loud also. DirectV has a lot of music stations and so he puts his 60's rock on that decible level. I am also with you on how did we did get this age. Charlie got his invite to his high school 50 year reunion. 50 year????? How did he get that old. I have never gotten any invite to any reunion at my high school so I will bever get a reminder how old I am!!!

Have enjoyed watching all the Olympics. One of the favored in the 100 and 20 meter breast stroke is Lilly King. She is from here and we are so proud to have an Olympian from here. I would imagine when she has her final swims, all the sports brs will be packed plus a lot of private watching parties.

Charlie and I were doing our normal Sunday evening of getting the trash ready to go out. And he found some suspicious brown stuff in the hallway and blamed the cat on pooping on the floor, something she has never done before. Now our previous cat did. But then he kept on seeing it. I thought I had smelled something on him so asked him to check himself. And oh boy, did we have a problem. With ostomates, some one with some kind of ostomy, it is called Code Brown. It took quite a while to get that taken care of and cleaned up. Our poor cat. She usually likes to be in the bedroom with us when we change his bag. She sits right beside me on the floor. But she didn't want to have anything to do with this. Charlie gave her a couple of Temptation treats to make up for us blaming her.

I think both of us are finally getting our strength back. I looked at our calander for the week and it is empty except for my stress test on Wednesday!!!!! It has been awhile since it has been that empty. It looks wonderful. He is wanting for me to take him to Karaoke Wednesday night. He hasn't been in quite a while. Michelle was over here this afternoon and mowed our lawn, trimmed and then picked up lawn clippings. She then went around and was going to empty all trash cans into main trash can. I stopped her on that. We need to be doing that. I don't know what I did to deserve a daughter like her.

Joyce, Indiana
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Cheri, Glad you made it to Texas safely. I hope all your belongings do, too. How hot is it in College Station?
    KarenE

Today it topped out at 102 degrees!!! Needless to say I was indoors all day. Just went out a bit ago and it was just still too hot for me but walked down to the corner and back.

Nite all,

Cheri
    College Station, TX
  • sandrachis
    sandrachis Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    This is my first day on site. It took me all summer to get exercise, water, food, and sleep under control. Now have a more orderly and comfortable life. Now if they would stop making peanut butter it would be a perfect world.
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    <3
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,644 Member
    Options
    :)
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,148 Member
    Options
    <3
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of Leslie Sansone Walk to the Hits DVD. This is a fun DVD, not as much like her others. The plan for tomorrow is to do another segment of the 10 minute yoga DVD, hold my plank, then take the extremepump class.

I'm not going to bother to log today. There's just too much going on. With Jess here I have no idea what we're doing for dinner. Lots of other things happening.

Jessica found a mouse in the pool, took it out and brought it up on the deck for me to give her washcloths to dry it off. After seeing that snake, I think I can handle a mouse....lol

Did a load of laundry then iced the cupcakes that I'll take to bowling tomorrow. Then worked on the weeds for 2 hours, made Vince mashed potatoes to have later in the week, then made him a banana chocolate bread (which is in the oven right now). My cousin from VA called and we talked for a few hours. It's always nice to catch up.

Miriam - how scary! I can understand how you must have felt. Jess is severely allergic to coconut, even if it's in the air. One time we were out and this lady bought a box of coconut macaroons, opened the box and offered some to everyone. We, of course, didn't take any but as we were leaving Jess turns to me and says "ma, I can't breathe". Here's me thinking to myself "I have no idea where the nearest hospital is, I'm even in a different state. I can't drive her car (it's a stick and I don't know how to drive a manual). Lord...help her" We just sat in the parking garage until she could breathe. It WAS scary. So glad things worked out and your gd is OK. That was very nice of you to donate a bottle of Benadryl to the first aid station. I'm very surprised that they didn't have any. She has had to have her seat changed in a restaurant because the person next to her had coconut shrimp or because the way the air currents were she would breathe in coconut from someone else. Congrats on your NSV

Karen - welcome!

Kylea - boy, you sure have had a tough time of it! Welcome! What kind of business do you have?

Lenora - I know BB&B has a website. Jess' friend was registered and I found what I wanted to get her. The only thing is, when you use the website, you can't use the 20% off coupon.

katla - that is exactly what I do...log on my phone (or tablet) when we are away but use my computer to post here.

chimera - welcome!

MsLady - welcome! what are you studying?

Cheri - so glad you made it safe and sound. Thanks for checking in

janetr - you should definitely go to the place with your pt. You'll be a great inspiration to lots of others.

Joyce - that is the senior price at our movies, too. However, there is one day when all the movies are $5. Maybe you have that near you? The movie places really don't advertise it much

Michele in NC
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Michele in NC - It's been a long time since I have driven a straight shift; but, I can do it. It's like getting on a bike, once you learn it is easy to pick it up. EVERYONE should learn how to drive on, in case of an emergency.

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    ;)
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Thanks Mary, all because of your great example. Thanks for encouraging all of us to be the best we can be. I'm not there yet, but I'm working on it. :)

Janetr okc
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Pip: I'll use the name you prefer. Pip suits you well and your given name is lovely, too. My DH has MS. I appreciate all that you do to help fight the disease. :flowerforyou:

Cheri: Three cheers for making it to your new residence in Texas. When your things catch up with you, you'll turn the new house into home, sweet home. :heart:

Sue: I haven't found the Olympic horse events so far. I want to watch. Perhaps I can find a schedule on line. We don't have a regular schedule in the paper. too many different cable and satellite possibilities., I guess. :smiley:

I'm going to see if I can auto record Olympic Equestrian events and then head to bed. This evening I watched bike racing and swimming.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,756 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    I am up and having my tea.. mr grumpy has a furlow day today so he is here too, thank goodness I have to work.. :)
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,611 Member
    Options
    Good Monday Morning!

My Sunday exercise was cleaning up the Shelby GT for a car show and walking around to see all the beautiful cars! Water and food were easy since it was so hot. But I am much happier when it is warm!

Michele in NC- My family owns a lawnmower sales and service dealership. Things are slowing down with the drought here in OH. My DH's father started it in 1967. Upon his passing, we took over.

SugarDarlin_ When I fell last Spring, they too thought I tore my meniscus. MRI revealed arthritis and fluid. PT was a big help. Something about hips. I was really surprised by that. But most of the exercises were designed to strengthen and loosen my hips as they are the support for the knees. It took a several months but definitely helped! Ice and exercise still help on bad days.

AnnR- Personal acceptance is the hardest. I struggle with that daily. I was always tiny (100#) until I quit waitressing and turned 35! Then I went to 150#. Have struggled since then. Upon turning 50, it seems to want to settle in the belly-ugh! Now, I accept that 100# is way too thin especially at over 50, but not happy with belly. What helps me is picking out clothes that I feel fabulous in. Some days that means six outfits til I find one I like! B) Good luck with DH procedure today.

Joyce_ Since my daughter has moved back closer to me it has been a blessing for her help especially with errands
    and housework! My DH is legally blind, I work 50+ hours a week. I love the extra help. Allow her to do that for you.

Lenora- Pyrenees are great herders. That is what they are bred for. Mine is just a lazy house mutt ;)

Gotta get ready for work! Have a blessed day!

Kylia in OH
  • ilikegardens
    ilikegardens Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Good Morning to All,

Kim, Happy Birthday!!!! I hope you have a wonderful day.

Janetr, I agree, you should go with your friend to demonstrate your form with the kettle bell. What an achievement!

One of my favorite things about getting older is the sense of realism it brings. That includes a sense of realism about what my body can and can't do, although I still try to challenge it, and I'm grateful to Mary, Janet, Heather, Pip, Barbie for providing the knowledge of what's possible). I'm more patient, more forgiving of myself and others, and more secure that things will be okay--and if they're not, I'll manage.

At least, I'm more realistic most days...I still have my moments.

Now to work. Today should be my last frantic day, and then I can relax a bit. Please wish me luck on finding time to exercise. It helps so much with mood and stress.

KarenE
  • ilikegardens
    ilikegardens Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Actually, finding time to exercise isn't due to luck. It's commitment. Scratch that last request and please send me good commitment thoughts!
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Kim ~ Happy, Happy Birthday! Hope it's a great one and your choice of chocolate covered strawberries sounds delish!

Carol
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    :)
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Cheri congrats on making it to the new place. Once all your belongings get there you will feel even better. At some point it has got to cool down (right??) so you can get out and explore by walking the neighborhood.

Purl I haven't met this many Karen's myself!

Janet I think it is great that you could be a kettle bell ambassador. This is a good thing, I love when fate comes knocking on the door and we say yes!!!

I am following my goals this month so far, I feel lighter, I am moving and reversed the slide up in weight woohoooo.

NYKAREN
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Cheri, so glad you made it safely to the big star state. I remember one move where the Uhaul trailer got a flat tire. In the middle of New Mexico. Uhauls do not have spare tires, so I had to sit in the car while my former husband hitched a ride to town (this was before cell phones) to call Uhaul, and then wait hours for them to actually show up and change it. So I was a bit concerned for you!

Janet, it is a great feeling to be a role model for others. A lot of my work involved being a role model for clients with mental health disorders that you can take back control of your life and to not give up and give in. Because of stigma, most people that do well do not tell anyone they have a mental illness. So most people, when they think of someone with a mental illness, think of the homeless man under the bridge. Even staff were surprised to learn that I had a mental illness because they often had that misconception too! But what was amazing was that I was always learning from the clients too! Over the years I have had dozens of people tell me that just knowing me, and what I was able to accomplish (owning my own home, having a job, going back to school as an adult, raising a family), helped them to overcome suicidal thoughts. Those four areas are where a program called Psychiatric Rehabilitation focuses (housing, jobs, school, and social). So as I was helping to implement this program around the state of Iowa, I was able to show clients that having goals in those areas was realistic. Anyway, I wandered off topic a bit (not enough coffee!). I just wanted to say congratulations and enjoy the experience!
  • frankiesgirl21
    frankiesgirl21 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    Everyone, do you realize how accountable you all are? Do you realize that by logging your food intake you are an active participant in your own lives? That you are looking at your lives "awake" and engaged in it? So many women are living their lives "mentally asleep" and not making their marks in the world. Today, each of you, make your shoe imprint on the earth. In a way, we all shall be connected... ((((hugs)))))

Becca
    Oregon
    Becca so true! So well put. I have always been pretty bad about logging on the weekends but I made myself do it even though my *kitten* ipad suddenly decided not to charge. The end result was a little disappointing and I had thought I was going to be ok... just shows there are hidden pitfalls. However, it could have been worse and it was a valuable lesson learned..

Enjoyed a lovely weekend including dinner with DSS and a really nice day on the motorcycle with DH. Weather here was gorgeous yesterday. Although it got into the upper 80's, the humidity was very low so it was enjoyable. We went down through the historic Gettysburg area which is very gorgeous and also the surrounding apple country. The apples are starting to turn pink, although I wonder how the harvest will be as it has been so hot and dry this summer.

Now its Monday and its back to work. (weekends are always soooo short....) but I am being mindful of the goals I set for this month and trying to follow through.

At least I kept up my H2O goals this weekend. That always helps...

Have a great day gals!