Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Are short fasts really helpful for burning fat?

Options

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Hey @dykask, give this a read.

You're welcome...

http://m.ajcn.nutrition.org/content/84/3/475.full
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    edited September 2016
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    dykask wrote: »
    These are all just estimates, even if you use a scale. The way calories are measured isn't even remotely close to how the body metabolizes the food. Tracking calories off of heartrate too is another form of estimation. Additionally the so called 3500 kc / lb of fat is another estimate. Striving for exactness is a waste of time. Anyway I'm eating out a lot right now and I can't easily change that right now. So weighing food isn't really an option.
    This I agree with, especially the bolded...
    I'm also not doing things in isolation, so it is really murky about the value of each part. Here are the current things I'm doing.

* Cut way back of refined sugar - pretty sure that is driving the reduction in visceral fat if nothing else. It took me 2 years to go from 106 cm waistline to 103 cm, after cutting sugar I'm at 88 cm in only 4 months.
    * Changing the foods I eat, mostly adding complex carbs, some healthy fats and more protein.
    * Trying to run a slight calorie deficit of ~250 kc / day average. At least for now.
    * Experimenting with fasting multiple times a week.
    * When I eat back calories from fasting I'm choosing fats and protein. I already have enough carbs in breakfast.
    * Doing most workouts while in the fasted state.

Anyone one of those things by themselves can help with weight loss.
    In regards to the bolded, this is why it is generally a bad idea to make generalizations...
    I'm pretty sure though the fasting helps with fat lose because my workouts are more consistent.
    So exercise is helpful for fat loss then...
    It would likely be a wash if I did the same workouts after eating.
    Only if it effected the quality of your workouts. If calories are equal it shouldn't have an effect. I say shouldn't because obviously for some it does. But this goes back to your other true statement, things are not done in isolation so it is very hard to pick out the one thing that worked...
    At around 15 hours into the fast, I start feeling very good and energetic.
    In my experience this was probably due to cortisol release. Probably the bodies way of getting us to get up and find some food...

Just to be 100% clear I have never said exercising isn't helpful for fat loss. Exercise though often will cause people to gain weight not lose weight over some periods of time. There is a lot more to weight than just fat.

Additionally many people tend to overeat with exercise. That can lead to at least maintaining fat while building muscle. Exercise with diet control is different than just exercising without paying attention to diet.

Well to that point, if you are losing fat and gaining weight you are gaining muscle, which is a good thing...

Good is subjective, not everyone wants to build muscle. Since you like pointing out others are generalizing, maybe you shouldn't do it yourself.

So let me get this straight. Are you suggesting that it is unhealthy to have a well muscled body? That adding muscle mass is anything but a good thing for overall health? Mind you, I am not talking about body builder type muscle...

From what i gather his argument is the all exercise makes people over eat. And that controlling diet is what is required to lose weight.

And from my gatherings he isnt weight training so I doubt there is muscle gain. What confuses me is for someone who talks so much about metabolism why would you 1) not want to gain muscle since it is directly related to metabolism and 2) recognize that diet alone makes it hard to maintain muscle mass and if there isnt some kind of resistance training done during weight loss that maintaining your metabolism is more difficult.
  • dykask
    dykask Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    These are all just estimates, even if you use a scale. The way calories are measured isn't even remotely close to how the body metabolizes the food. Tracking calories off of heartrate too is another form of estimation. Additionally the so called 3500 kc / lb of fat is another estimate. Striving for exactness is a waste of time. Anyway I'm eating out a lot right now and I can't easily change that right now. So weighing food isn't really an option.
    I'm also not doing things in isolation, so it is really murky about the value of each part. Here are the current things I'm doing.

* Cut way back of refined sugar - pretty sure that is driving the reduction in visceral fat if nothing else. It took me 2 years to go from 106 cm waistline to 103 cm, after cutting sugar I'm at 88 cm in only 4 months.
    * Changing the foods I eat, mostly adding complex carbs, some healthy fats and more protein.
    * Trying to run a slight calorie deficit of ~250 kc / day average. At least for now.
    * When I eat back calories from fasting I'm choosing fats and protein. I already have enough carbs in breakfast.

In regards to the bolded, this is why it is generally a bad idea to make generalizations...
    I'm pretty sure though the fasting helps with fat lose because my workouts are more consistent.
    Only if it effected the quality of your workouts. If calories are equal it shouldn't have an effect. I say shouldn't because obviously for some it does. But this goes back to your other true statement, things are not done in isolation so it is very hard to pick out the one thing that worked...
    In my experience this was probably due to cortisol release. Probably the bodies way of getting us to get up and find some food...

Just to be 100% clear I have never said exercising isn't helpful for fat loss. Exercise though often will cause people to gain weight not lose weight over some periods of time. There is a lot more to weight than just fat.

Additionally many people tend to overeat with exercise. That can lead to at least maintaining fat while building muscle. Exercise with diet control is different than just exercising without paying attention to diet.

Well to that point, if you are losing fat and gaining weight you are gaining muscle, which is a good thing...

Good is subjective, not everyone wants to build muscle. Since you like pointing out others are generalizing, maybe you shouldn't do it yourself.

So let me get this straight. Are you suggesting that it is unhealthy to have a well muscled body? That adding muscle mass is anything but a good thing for overall health? Mind you, I am not talking about body builder type muscle...

No you are wrong again. I didn't suggest anything. A lot of people exercising are only trying to lose weight. To them it isn't a good thing when they gain weight. There are many threads hear on MFP with people freaking out because they aren't losing weight or they are even gaining weight. That can be a side effect of exercise. Not everyone cares about muscle.
  • dykask
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Sooo.......you're eyeballing portions and guessing the calorie content of your foods and presenting the resulting numbers as evidence for your theory. K.

And sure, even using scales won't give you a perfectly accurate calorie count but it's certainly more accurate than eyeballing your servings and estimating calories based on comparisons with other foods.
    Again, I'm not implying that you're not seeing success. It's clear that you are. I'm just saying that your success is not occurring for the reasons you believe and that the statistics you're quoting to support your beliefs are likely highly inaccurate.

And you are making assumptions about my accuracy when you know nothing about me. I've been controlling my diet for years, I know very well exactly what I'm doing. I'm not some newbie crying that I'm not losing weight. Just because something doesn't fit in to your model of the world, doesn't mean it is wrong.

It's not an assumption that eyeballing and guesstimating are less accurate than weighing and precise logging.

And again, I'm not doubting the success you've had with your methods. I'm only trying to explain that what works for you doesn't work for the reasons you think it does.
    Unfortunately, you won't listen to facts, science or reason which only makes it ironic that you're accusing other people of being blinded.

You are the one that isn't listening. Modern science is clearly showing different foods have different impacts on health. The concept that all calories are equal doesn't even make sense. Even people that push it put qualifiers on it all the time.

Calorie counting is just an estimate no matter how precise one tries to be. There are so many variables besides the serving size. Logging is a tool for people to get in control to see what they are doing. I already have the counting and control down. I use them when I need to figure out what I'm eating, right now I've got it down pat.

The reason I'm losing weight is simple. I've cut back on refined sugar and replaced those calories with healthy foods. The exercising and experimenting with fasting are for body composition in my case. I'm trying to reduce fat faster.

Each thing I'm doing contributes to the whole in different ways. At this point I'm eating a more comfortable level and still losing weight. The most likely reason is I'm using more of my food and also drawing from my fat.

* IF is providing much more benefits in how I feel and even perform. I don't know if it is helping with the fat lose or not, but I'm sure it isn't hurting. I could use IF to maintain a large calorie deficit if I wanted and maybe I will someday. (Unlikely though, I don't like feeling like crap.)

* Exercise, food choice, etc ... I was doing those before and making progress losing fat but I was gaining about 1kg a year from muscle gain. Cutting back on sugar changed that, now my fat is dropping. Waist from 103 to 88cm in four months is crazy progress.

• J72FIT
    edited September 2016
    Options

No you are wrong again. I didn't suggest anything. A lot of people exercising are only trying to lose weight. To them it isn't a good thing when they gain weight. There are many threads hear on MFP with people freaking out because they aren't losing weight or they are even gaining weight. That can be a side effect of exercise. Not everyone cares about muscle.

Lol!

There are many reasons why someone might gain weight during exercise. Two that come to mind are muscle gain and water retention. People only get upset because they think it's fat gain. When they realize it's water they generally feel better because they realize it is transient. When they find out its muscle they generally become very happy.

Not caring about muscle is a big mistake. Did you bother to read the article I posted? Are you interested in actually learning anything? Has it ever occurred to you that I've been where you are, and have learned and grown beyond it, and am not just talking out of my rear end?
  • dykask
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

From what i gathet his argument is the all exercise makes people over eat. And that controlling diet is what is required to lose weight.

And from my gatherings he isnt weight training so I doubt there is muscle gain. What confuses me is for someone who talks so mich about metabolism why would you 1) not want to gain muscle since it is directly related to metabolism and 2) recognize that diet alone makes it hard to maintain muscle mass and if there isnt some kind of resistance training done during weight loss that maintaining your metabolism is more difficult.

I never said exercise makes all people overeat. I said a lot of people do use exercise as a reason to eat a lot more and they often do overeat.

As for muscle gain, it sounds like you are saying you only gain muscle by weight training. Wow, that is so wrong, I hope you realize that. Pretty much all forms of exercise build muscle under the right conditions. I went through two years where I was just mostly replacing fat with muscle, but that only got me down to about 25% body fat from over 30% and I gained a modest 2 kg doing that.
  • dykask
    Options

Lol!

There are many reasons why someone might gain weight during exercise. Two that come to mind are muscle gain and water retention. People only get upset because they think it's fat gain. When they realize it's water they generally feel better because they realize it is transient. When they find out its muscle they generally become very happy.

Not caring about muscle is a big mistake. Did you bother to read the article I posted? Are you interested in actually learning anything? Has it ever occurred to you that I've been where you are, and have learned and grown beyond it, and am not just talking out of my rear end?

I've seen many people complain about gaining weight from exercise. Not everyone cares about building muscle. You care, I care but there are a lot more people in the world than just us.
  • J72FIT
    edited September 2016
    Options

Lol!

I've seen many people complain about gaining weight from exercise. Not everyone cares about building muscle. You care, I care but there are a lot more people in the world than just us.

Sorry, once again you are incorrect. The people who gain weight from exercise and find out its muscle are pretty often relieved. They complain because they think it's fat.

More often then not, it is usually water retention. Building muscle is not that easy...

I'll ask again. Did you read ANY of the articles I've posted?
  • dykask
    Options

Lol!

Sorry, once again you are incorrect. The people who gain weight from exercise and find out its muscle are pretty often relieved. They complain because they think it's fat.

More often then not, it is usually water retention. Building muscle is not that easy...

You have posted anything I haven't already read. Additionally it is pretty clear you don't much about people. Most don't even try to exercise. http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cdc-80-percent-of-american-adults-dont-get-recommended-exercise/
  • J72FIT
    edited September 2016
    Options

Lol!

You have posted anything I haven't already read. Additionally it is pretty clear you don't much about people. Most don't even try to exercise. http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cdc-80-percent-of-american-adults-dont-get-recommended-exercise/

So you read them and what? Not convinced?

The article in the health benefits of muscle mass? Nothing?

Your link is an article that says most people don't get the recommended amount of exercise they should. It has nothing to do with what we have been debating (and I use the term loosely).

Honestly, you really do need to proof your responses before hitting send. Conversing with you is like conversing with an adolescent...
  • J72FIT
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Confused. Are you arguing to argue? My sixteen year old is like this, too! This is black, no it's white, mom!

No, not confused, it is often the same few people that diss everything yet never add any value to threads.

I think you are confused about the nature of debate!
    Had you posted in the Success forum along the lines of "I'm doing IF and enjoying it. Helps with my exercise and I can lose weight without having to weigh all my foods" you would get the approval and congratulations you seem to expect. (Congrats from me by the way, genuinely glad you found something that works for you.)

But this is the Debate forum - where people share knowledge, experience and air different or opposing views.
    That's where the value of debate lies.
    But if you have a closed mind and reject out of hand any view but your own you learn nothing.
    There's been some really good info posted in this thread and I hope others have learned things that benefit them.

You have some very singular beliefs based on very dodgy data which will always be challenged. You are of course entitled to those beliefs but you are not entitled to air them in a public forum without disagreement. If you didn't react with such hostility you probably wouldn't get so much hostility back.

As always you jump a day late and a dollar short. ;)

There are a few posters that don't debate just slam because they think they have it all figured out. They should be teaching the multitude of researchers, scientists and doctors working on figuring it out if they are so smart. The fact is they are just repeating things like parrots.

Slamming? Really? Grow up, put on your big boy pants and get over it...
  • J72FIT
    Options
    1) It's ironic that so many people have tried to present you with facts and explain to you why your methods are working yet you reject the science presented to you in favor of clinging to your own theories (which are based on a faulty understanding of the science behind them) and accuse us of not listening. We are listening. We're just shaking our heads because you refuse to let go of your own theories long enough to learn anything.

We call this mis-representing the data...
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    1) It's ironic that so many people have tried to present you with facts and explain to you why your methods are working yet you reject the science presented to you in favor of clinging to your own theories (which are based on a faulty understanding of the science behind them) and accuse us of not listening. We are listening. We're just shaking our heads because you refuse to let go of your own theories long enough to learn anything.

The data should sue.
  • J72FIT
    Options

The data should sue.

I actually take that back. He is not misrepresenting, rather he is misunderstanding the data. Misrepresenting would assume he understands what is happening and is trying to portray it in a way that furthers his agenda. IMO, he has no idea why it's working, which is pretty common...
  • J72FIT
    Options
    You can't fight faith with facts...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

From what i gathet his argument is the all exercise makes people over eat. And that controlling diet is what is required to lose weight.

And from my gatherings he isnt weight training so I doubt there is muscle gain. What confuses me is for someone who talks so mich about metabolism why would you 1) not want to gain muscle since it is directly related to metabolism and 2) recognize that diet alone makes it hard to maintain muscle mass and if there isnt some kind of resistance training done during weight loss that maintaining your metabolism is more difficult.

I never said exercise makes all people overeat. I said a lot of people do use exercise as a reason to eat a lot more and they often do overeat.

As for muscle gain, it sounds like you are saying you only gain muscle by weight training. Wow, that is so wrong, I hope you realize that. Pretty much all forms of exercise build muscle under the right conditions. I went through two years where I was just mostly replacing fat with muscle, but that only got me down to about 25% body fat from over 30% and I gained a modest 2 kg doing that.

First i did not say weight training.... i said resistance training.. there is a difference. You can gain muscle with body weight. You are absolutely wrong that all forms of exercise gain muscle. There are plenty of studies comparing resistance based training vs cardio; end results showing losses in lbm with cardio only vs resistance.
  • tashygolean730
    tashygolean730 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I am in a facebook group of over 20, 000 people who intermittent fast. The overwhelming consensus from their experience is that IF windows have zero to with the actual fat/weight you drop. It is only a tool for easier caloric deficit management. I will take the experience of 20, 000 any day. You are eating in a deficit if you are dropping weight period. Its basic science and you aren't special. Just because you have no actual awareness of your caloric intake/output doesn't mean you aren't in a deficit.
  • pazzynj
    pazzynj Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've done fasting & I certainly loss weight fairly quickly! Only problem was losing weight too fast results in saggy skin... Better to do it the slow healthy way. Cardio & strength training keeps the skin tight:))