Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Are short fasts really helpful for burning fat?

Options
18910111214»

Replies

• peter2100
    peter2100 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I think intermittent fasting is for people who are already slim looking to get absolutely shredded. If you're overweight or obese, it's just not really necessary.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    peter2100 wrote: »
    I think intermittent fasting is for people who are already slim looking to get absolutely shredded. If you're overweight or obese, it's just not really necessary.

Anyone can use it as it is just an eating schedule.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

@peter2100
    Nope - it's for anyone that likes to eat in that particular style or finds a different pattern helpful to control their intake.
    "Necessary" for weight loss is a calorie deficit and different eating patterns suit different people to help then achieve that deficit.

I have zero intention of being "shredded" but found 5:2 immensely helpful in achieving a small weekly calorie deficit - something that had eluded me with everyday restriction.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

Nah, it's just an eating schedule.

I inadvertently did it for years long before I was anywhere near "slim" because I found that eating breakfast early sort of turned on my appetite switch for the day and made me hungrier throughout the day. Delaying breakfast later and later seemed to avoid that problem and helped me manage my food intake better. I realized this somewhere back in the '80's, long before I was anywhere near the internet. I started back then just having coffee in the morning and not having anything until lunch when I was working.