If calories is a calorie-what's the issue with Sugar then? how to reduce intake? HELP!

Options

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    jjdig wrote: »
    Ha ha ha! This is good entertainment! All I know is that when I'm on a sugar binge, nothing else substitutes, and when I eat a lot of sugar (and I mean a lot), I get fat.
    However, when I'm out running/hiking/skiing/whatever for 4+ hours and start to fade, sugar brings me right back. "Quick energy" as my mom used to say. There's something that helps muscles recover faster with insulin, but I am definitely not qualified to say anything about it as I'm only a beginner in this chemistry lesson, too!

Simple question. What do you eat when you are on those sugar binges? Do you just spoon sugar into your mouth?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,399 MFP Moderator
    Options
    jjdig wrote: »
    Ha ha ha! This is good entertainment! All I know is that when I'm on a sugar binge, nothing else substitutes, and when I eat a lot of sugar (and I mean a lot), I get fat.
    However, when I'm out running/hiking/skiing/whatever for 4+ hours and start to fade, sugar brings me right back. "Quick energy" as my mom used to say. There's something that helps muscles recover faster with insulin, but I am definitely not qualified to say anything about it as I'm only a beginner in this chemistry lesson, too!

Dextrose, maltadextrin and glucose are the fastest absorbing sugars which is generally what will help replenish glycogen the quickest. This in turn will give you quick energy.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Budjola wrote: »
    good sugar would be the one that u got or took while eating veggies and fruit, bad one would be from sodas and stuff
    But the sugar is the same...

I think I've finally figured this out. Please excuse the rather passe or sexist analogies.

A good girl hangs out with nice, respectful, well-dressed boys who get good grades. A bad girl lurks around with the smokers who swear and drink and skip class. Both girls may be the same in terms of their own actual behavior, but they are judged by their companions.

Good sugars and bad sugars are the same, but one hangs out with fiber and lots of micros (or just looks all respectable, since those in a banana don't actually come with much fiber). The other (the bad one) hangs out with fat and calories.

It's all about judging by appearance and association!

Hmm. Or maybe it's an anti immigration thing: good sugars stay where they started out. Bad sugars go somewhere else.

I sure wish the grocery stores would build walls around the center area of store to encourage people to shop the good edges. And get Monsanto to pay for it.

Not. Sure. If. Serious...
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    good sugar would be the one that u got or took while eating veggies and fruit, bad one would be from sodas and stuff

I think I've finally figured this out. Please excuse the rather passe or sexist analogies.

A good girl hangs out with nice, respectful, well-dressed boys who get good grades. A bad girl lurks around with the smokers who swear and drink and skip class. Both girls may be the same in terms of their own actual behavior, but they are judged by their companions.

Good sugars and bad sugars are the same, but one hangs out with fiber and lots of micros (or just looks all respectable, since those in a banana don't actually come with much fiber). The other (the bad one) hangs out with fat and calories.

Hmm. Or maybe it's an anti immigration thing: good sugars stay where they started out. Bad sugars go somewhere else.

I sure wish the grocery stores would build walls around the center area of store to encourage people to shop the good edges. And get Monsanto to pay for it.

If people had to think before going to that section of the grocery store, maybe they'd make better food choices overall.

So are you saying that in every grocery store in the world, there is a section of "bad food choices" and a section of "good food choices"? And the bad stuff is always in the middle?

Might want to give this a read...
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10437023/whats-on-the-perimeter-in-your-grocery-store/p1

• SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I think if they made people have to stop and think when crossing into the nutrition desert of the center aisles, that might make America great again, or at least make our waists not so great. They could even have passports. You'd get less pages to stamp and limit your visits for some people.

So, we should have to "stop and think" before we're allowed access to the dried beans, oats, frozen fruits and frozen vegetables? All of which are in the center aisles in my grocery store (and most others I've been to). But the cakes and ready-made meals (on the perimeter) are fine? I don't think so.

• SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I think if they made people have to stop and think when crossing into the nutrition desert of the center aisles, that might make America great again, or at least make our waists not so great. They could even have passports. You'd get less pages to stamp and limit your visits for some people.

So, we should have to "stop and think" before we're allowed access to the dried beans, oats, frozen fruits and frozen vegetables? All of which are in the center aisles in my grocery store (and most others I've been to). But the cakes and ready-made meals (on the perimeter) are fine? I don't think so.

Or maybe you'd have to think about what grocery store you go to if they think that's a good way to organize food.

I go to the grocery store that has the best selection of fresh produce and the best prices. There's no inherent reason to put "healthier" foods around the edges of the store. I'd be very surprised if your grocery store has oats and legumes on the edges either. Edges tend to be bakery, produce, deli and fish. Plus whatever else fits - which tends to include convenience foods since they have those right at the front to stimulate impulse buying (and near to deli so as to take advantage of the cold shelves).

We have our route that takes us past all the important sections and skip the ones we're not interested in.
  • WinoGelato
    Options

If people had to think before going to that section of the grocery store, maybe they'd make better food choices overall.

So are you saying that in every grocery store in the world, there is a section of "bad food choices" and a section of "good food choices"? And the bad stuff is always in the middle?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10437023/whats-on-the-perimeter-in-your-grocery-store/p1

What if there was an armed sentry standing at the edge of each aisle who would inspect what you put in your cart and made sure it is only oats, quinoa and dried beans, and none of that evil Hamburger Helper?

OR....
    What if there was a preloaded card that everyone was given, where people could only buy "healthy" foods and you wouldn't be allowed to choose the "junk"? Wouldn't that be even more awesome?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,399 MFP Moderator
    Options

Or maybe you'd have to think about what grocery store you go to if they think that's a good way to organize food.

I go to the grocery store that has the best selection of fresh produce and the best prices. There's no inherent reason to put "healthier" foods around the edges of the store. I'd be very surprised if your grocery store has oats and legumes on the edges either. Edges tend to be bakery, produce, deli and fish. Plus whatever else fits - which tends to include convenience foods since they have those right at the front to stimulate impulse buying (and near to deli so as to take advantage of the cold shelves).

We have our route that takes us past all the important sections and skip the ones we're not interested in.

Well if you'd let me get in there and redo the grocery store, it'd be great. Real top-notch, designer quality food arrangement, let me tell ya. You'd love the lay out, I really think you would. We'd take back the impulse buys and make these diets great again.

If it's not wegmans i am not going. And they can only out so much on the outside.
  • jjdig
    jjdig Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Simple question. What do you eat when you are on those sugar binges? Do you just spoon sugar into your mouth?

I've been known to eat brown sugar by spoon in my worst cases. But - I won't say that sugar is not an addiction for ME - and I do pay attention to it after seeing those movies! But I refuse to not have ANY - heavens, I couldn't live without brown sugar!!!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

What if there was an armed sentry standing at the edge of each aisle who would inspect what you put in your cart and made sure it is only oats, quinoa and dried beans, and none of that evil Hamburger Helper?

OR....
    What if there was a preloaded card that everyone was given, where people could only buy "healthy" foods and you wouldn't be allowed to choose the "junk"? Wouldn't that be even more awesome?

Ration cards all over again!
    food-ration-card-1918.jpg
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

Booze and ice cream are on the outer walls of my supermarket. Good edges indeed!

• autumnlee59230
    autumnlee59230 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    After reading this article, and being someone who is trying to learn how to eat healthy, I am starting to get confused. Is it bad to eat fruit? I will make protein shakes with frozen fruit, bananas, spinach, etc. So is eating that as bad as eating a donut or a tastykake?
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

Hmmm, this is starting to sound familiar. Very familiar.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options

I thought Mexico had to pay for all of the walls in the US?