If calories is a calorie-what's the issue with Sugar then? how to reduce intake? HELP!

Options

Replies

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Sugary foods have the lowest satiety scores, meaning you are more likely to want to overeat when you consume any significant amount of them. To me this is the biggest reason that sugary foods have to stay in the category of "treat", separate from most of the other foods I eat. Fruits are exceptional both because of the fibre they add (which increases satiety) and the nutrients.

If your diet has lots of protein (which arguably has the best satiety scores), it should be easier to incorporate sugary treats in moderation without overeating. If you have a large calorie consumption (as many of the guys here do) that 10-20% discretionary portion of your daily intake accommodates treats more easily.

It's a rare day that I achieve 30% of my calories from protein (I aim for 20% and find that tough enough), so I need to make sure most of my carbs are complex.

Personally I went through a time where I couldn't tolerate being even a little hungry. I was eating way too many simple carbs (including lots of sugar) at that time. I suspect I was on a blood glucose level roller coaster ride.

• Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    Pizza is not counted as a vegetable, the tomato sauce is if anything.
    There's no DV because DV is based on how much an average body needs.
    Sugar is not addictive. At all.

tomatoes are a fruit...lol.. but i got the point
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    richln wrote: »
    Raptor2763 wrote: »
    A calorie is NOT a calorie - THAT'S the issue. Calories from proteins, fat, and sugar are used in a set sequence. To be clear, sugar is fairly common. I think what you're referring to is refined sugar - as in the kind found in candy, cake frosting, or even the cake itself. Calories from refined sugar - also called "empty calories - have ZERO nutritional value (hence the term "empty").

Now, if the best solution is to avoid the problem, how to deal with refined sugar?
    1. You're gonna have to become expert at reading labels. HINT: anything ending in "ose" such as "sucrose", "dextrose", or "glucose" should trigger a red flag. Also, be on the lookout for sugar-type substitutes, like stevia and truvia.
    2. Shopping the periphery of the store physically avoids the problem - the sugar-laden products are on the shelves in the middle.

BTW - same general idea holds for salt. You'll find all the salt you need in the food you eat. No need for more.

Can you please elaborate on the set sequence the body uses to process macronutrients?

Please don't elaborate I can't take it!!
  • Budjola
    Budjola Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    good sugar would be the one that u got or took while eating veggies and fruit, bad one would be from sodas and stuff
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Budjola wrote: »
    good sugar would be the one that u got or took while eating veggies and fruit, bad one would be from sodas and stuff
    But the sugar is the same...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Not legally in the US for culinary purposes. Botanic and culinary classifications of fruit vs. veg differ.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »

I think I've finally figured this out. Please excuse the rather passe or sexist analogies.

A good girl hangs out with nice, respectful, well-dressed boys who get good grades. A bad girl lurks around with the smokers who swear and drink and skip class. Both girls may be the same in terms of their own actual behavior, but they are judged by their companions.

Good sugars and bad sugars are the same, but one hangs out with fiber and lots of micros (or just looks all respectable, since those in a banana don't actually come with much fiber). The other (the bad one) hangs out with fat and calories.

It's all about judging by appearance and association!

I love this analogy!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options

I think I've finally figured this out. Please excuse the rather passe or sexist analogies.

A good girl hangs out with nice, respectful, well-dressed boys who get good grades. A bad girl lurks around with the smokers who swear and drink and skip class. Both girls may be the same in terms of their own actual behavior, but they are judged by their companions.

Good sugars and bad sugars are the same, but one hangs out with fiber and lots of micros (or just looks all respectable, since those in a banana don't actually come with much fiber). The other (the bad one) hangs out with fat and calories.

Hmm. Or maybe it's an anti immigration thing: good sugars stay where they started out. Bad sugars go somewhere else.

qehnhnxoxdjb.gif
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    A calorie is NOT a calorie - THAT'S the issue. Calories from proteins, fat, and sugar are used in a set sequence. To be clear, sugar is fairly common. I think what you're referring to is refined sugar - as in the kind found in candy, cake frosting, or even the cake itself. Calories from refined sugar - also called "empty calories - have ZERO nutritional value (hence the term "empty").

Now, if the best solution is to avoid the problem, how to deal with refined sugar?
    1. You're gonna have to become expert at reading labels. HINT: anything ending in "ose" such as "sucrose", "dextrose", or "glucose" should trigger a red flag. Also, be on the lookout for sugar-type substitutes, like stevia and truvia.
    2. Shopping the periphery of the store physically avoids the problem - the sugar-laden products are on the shelves in the middle.

BTW - same general idea holds for salt. You'll find all the salt you need in the food you eat. No need for more.

Can you please explain how a unit of measurement isn't a unit of measurement?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Not legally in the US for culinary purposes. Botanic and culinary classifications of fruit vs. veg differ.

Legally who gives a crap about a legal definition of a fruit really? Next thing you know the law will allow men to be called woman.... The Law is a joke anymore so poor argument but funny.

Well sense the tomato sauce was being talked about in a culinary sense and what the school classified it as, I'd say the argument is spot on.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,651 Member
    Options

Hmm. Or maybe it's an anti immigration thing: good sugars stay where they started out. Bad sugars go somewhere else.

Dammit, it's high school all over again!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Think of sugar as a very efficient container to move calories from one place to another. Combine that with what some people call its addictive qualities and you will have it. I think you will benefit more by eating less calorie dense foods that have nutritional value.
  • HazyEyes93
    HazyEyes93 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar and a calorie is a calorie. Too much of ANYTHING is bad. Moderation is key.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

This may be the greatest post I've ever seen here.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2016
    Options

Just pointing out that the body runs on glucose. It's so important that if you don't eat enough of it, your body will produce it through glucenogenesis.

Also would like to point out that cakes are mainly fat and many cookies have less sugar than many fruits. They are just void of fiber.

OP, there are a variety of sugars and largely they are processed the same, with the exception of fructose. Either way, one should look to get adequate nutrition and not consume large amounts of added sugar.
  • jjdig
    jjdig Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Ha ha ha! This is good entertainment! All I know is that when I'm on a sugar binge, nothing else substitutes, and when I eat a lot of sugar (and I mean a lot), I get fat.
    However, when I'm out running/hiking/skiing/whatever for 4+ hours and start to fade, sugar brings me right back. "Quick energy" as my mom used to say. There's something that helps muscles recover faster with insulin, but I am definitely not qualified to say anything about it as I'm only a beginner in this chemistry lesson, too!