If calories is a calorie-what's the issue with Sugar then? how to reduce intake? HELP!

Options
Saw a documentary "Fed up" and "Sugar Coated"

are there different types of sugar? like good sugar vs bad sugar? sugar in fruit vs sugarcane vs jaggery vs molasses vs honey?

How do I reduce my intake? -i'm not diabetic or have any one in my family or extended family suffering from it or have history of but those documentaries make me think.

I finally accepted that eating a pizza vs eating regular home made food is no different for weight loss as long as I maintain a deficit and now this?

The more I learn the more confused I get -who is right? who is wrong?

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I think dosage is the issue, and not types of sugars. But I do believe refined foods with sugars tend to be more problematic than whole foods with sugars. Anyway, some people can handle more glucose and fructose than others before health problems creep up. The problem is knowing which group you are in.

I thought I could handle sugars. Apparently my body can't (health issues now like IR) so I skip them. My sugar intake is usually well under 10g per day. Others can handle sugars no problem. Hopefully they will continue to do so, although the likelihood of that drops as one ages.
  • NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, there is no difference. If you overdo the sugar consumption, over time your body will lose the ability to handle it properly, and that's when people start to get into medical conditions. Enjoy sugar in moderation, and you should be fine - just make you sure really are practicing moderation.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Eating more calories than you burn leads to weight gain.
    My problem was never one particular food. I overate.................everything.
    Learning moderation and portion control of all foods was key for me, and continues to be in maintaining.

There are no demon foods.

As with most things regarding becoming healthier, you have to learn what works for you, and stick with it. We are all different, but basically, it is CICO.
  • viren19890
    viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot all for posting.

They did mock AHA and AMA in the documentary. They also talked about how most research funds are provided by big corporations. USDA being in the pocket of bugger corporations.

They revised so many things in the bills and legislation.
    Also, the food at school cafeteria being pizza, fries, nachos and no vegetables? They were able to categorize pizza as a "vegetable".

They did talk about eating something with "fat" is better than eating 0 Fat but with higher sugar.

Also how come sugar does not have DV percentage. Aren't we already consuming more than AHA recommended sugar?
  • viren19890
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Sugar is sugar. The body breaks it down to simplest form and absorbs it. Good carbs get broken down to sugar. Don't believe all the hype.
    If sugar was really the issue to obesity, then countries that consume more than the US should also have an obesity issue, and most of them don't. Brazil as a country consumes more than the US.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Bro, they had Brazil on the list of obesity ridden countries lol
  • viren19890
    Options
    And oh! What about sugar being 8 times more addicting than Cocaine?

The study they did on 43 rats that chose sugary water over cocaine?

They didn't list any links to the study though.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Pizza is not counted as a vegetable, the tomato sauce is if anything.
    There's no DV because DV is based on how much an average body needs.
    Sugar is not addictive. At all.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Sugar is sugar. The body breaks it down to simplest form and absorbs it. Good carbs get broken down to sugar. Don't believe all the hype.
    If sugar was really the issue to obesity, then countries that consume more than the US should also have an obesity issue, and most of them don't. Brazil as a country consumes more than the US.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This is true. However, for me, foods with lots of sugar added do not keep me full as long as higher fiber, naturally sweet foods. I'll eat peaches before cake, for instance. And a sweet potato is always a first choice if it's available.
    On the other hand, if I really want a milkshake, I'll have one. I just don't really want them as often now as three years ago when I started here on MFP.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    viren19890 wrote: »
    And oh! What about sugar being 8 times more addicting than Cocaine?

The study they did on 43 rats that chose sugary water over cocaine?

They didn't list any links to the study though.

A study that shows rats prefer food over pharmaceuticals does not indicate that sugar is addictive.

IKR?

The rats actually ate - wait for it - the actual food source over the non-food source.

NFS.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar, but provides a very easy and neurologically rewarding way of consuming Lott's oof calories in a short space of time.