Calorie in Calorie out

Options
I have been reading multiple posts. And most of them seem to indicate that nothing else could possibly scientifically assist in weight loss except for the fact of "Calorie in/Calorie out". For those who feel that this is the "only" way weight is loss please explain to me if you are weighing your food, logging everything you put in your mouth, not eating back all of your exercise calories, and have researched and know what your macros should be, how can you not lose weight for 3 months? Oh, and have been to the doctors and not diagnosed with anything. Also, if the answer is plateau, then please explain how this is possible if the only factor that counts is Calorie in/Calorie out. Thank you for your help with this.

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I think instead of your regular MD you would do better by seeing a nutritionist or a dietitian. They can measure your metabolism with a device that collects your exhalations (I don't know the science behind it, but it works) and then calculate from there exactly what your basal metabolic rate is and what your true caloric needs are. Then they help you build a good food plan based on that number. What MFP estimates to be your metabolism may not actually be accurate for you.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Have you started any new meds? Sometimes these can cause water retention.

I also would go get checked out by a dr.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,654 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    3. You actually are losing weight, but your weight data is too inaccurate (or has too few data points) to see it. A slow rate of loss can easily be masked by water fluctuations if you have only a few data points over those three months, but if you're weighing daily at the same time in the same conditions and your trend line is flat, that isn't the issue.

Are you using www.weightgrapher.com (or similar: for example happy scale for iphone, libra for android, or my own preference www.trendweight.com) to track your weight trend over time?

Unless you have daily weight ins under the same conditions and preferably on a scale that is positioned on solid ground (not carpet or something yielding) it will be hard to track very small changes.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    To add 4. You are making enough small logging errors to impact on any or all losses. There are a lot of incorrect entries in the database as it is largely user created. Make sure to cross reference entries with package information/USDA information and never use generic entries for things like spaghetti sauce, lasagne etc, create your own recipes with the recipe builder.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    MrsKila wrote: »
    I have been reading multiple posts. And most of them seem to indicate that nothing else could possibly scientifically assist in weight loss except for the fact of "Calorie in/Calorie out". For those who feel that this is the "only" way weight is loss please explain to me if you are weighing your food, logging everything you put in your mouth, not eating back all of your exercise calories, and have researched and know what your macros should be, how can you not lose weight for 3 months? Oh, and have been to the doctors and not diagnosed with anything. Also, if the answer is plateau, then please explain how this is possible if the only factor that counts is Calorie in/Calorie out. Thank you for your help with this.

you are eating more than you think (choosing incorrect entries, not logging everything as it is easy to forget)

and/or

Over estimating calorie burns

CICO is science. If you haven't lost any weight...at all period...but in 3 months your weight has to have moved either up or down.
  • JDixon852019
    JDixon852019 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Yes, I log everything that goes in my mouth and I use a food scale make sure my portion sizes are accurate. I eat back no more than 50% of my exercise calories but usually don't eat them back at all. The weight is coming off.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2016
    Options

Something that you may consider is switching from the MFP model of calculating calories to a TDEE model (TDEE would incorporate exerice and you would eat the same thing daily). In the end, there is a feedback loop where you have to adjust calories based on actual results.

If you want to open your food log, we can take a look.

Also, do you have any medical conditions, such as PCOS, diabetes, etc..? Because they can effect the results.
  • battyfitch
    battyfitch Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'd double and triple check the food entries you're using are accurate. I think a lot of people use the lowest one they can find - like, I'll see people logging 2 tbsp butter at 37 calories or whatever when in reality 2 tablespoons of butter would be over 200 calories. Do that a few times a week, plus a few other inaccurate entries and it can add up to enough to stall losses, especially if you're aiming to 0.5-1lbs a week.

Other than that, I dunno. Scientific marvel? Alien?
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    battyfitch wrote: »
    I'd double and triple check the food entries you're using are accurate. I think a lot of people use the lowest one they can find - like, I'll see people logging 2 tbsp butter at 37 calories or whatever when in reality 2 tablespoons of butter would be over 200 calories. Do that a few times a week, plus a few other inaccurate entries and it can add up to enough to stall losses, especially if you're aiming to 0.5-1lbs a week.

actually butter should be logged by Grams.

2tbsp of butter or appx 30grams.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    The first thing I would do is open my diary and ask others to take a look at it to see if any inaccuracies are causing me to be eating more than I think I am. A second set of eyes will catch things that we might not see as being inaccurate.
  • battyfitch
    battyfitch Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

Ok?
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Ok?

accurate logging is logging solids by grams...if you are going to speak to logging accurately and choosing correct entries then the accurate logging is done by grams for butter.

Mentioning tbsp in regards to a solid muddies the waters.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    MFP really needs an eye roll emoji.

I agree...
  • frankiesgirl21
    frankiesgirl21 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    MFP really needs an eye roll emoji.

I concur.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    9_9 this will have to do for now.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    you are eating more than you think (choosing incorrect entries, not logging everything as it is easy to forget)
    and/or

CICO is science. If you haven't lost any weight...at all period...but in 3 months your weight has to have moved either up or down.

This. Unless you're one of the X-men and your superpower is defying physics, your numbers are off.

Nothing we do is exact. If it's not working, you tweak it until it works (eat less, stop eating back exercise cals, weigh more carefully, etc.)

Are you counting all your liquid calories?

• CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options

and/or

This 1000%