Confessions of a Maintainer

Replies

• hikernut53
    hikernut53 Posts: 43 Member
    I also love to eat. And once I reach maintenance (6 more to go!) I will keep logging. I also love to hike, and will do extra miles when I have a potluck or some other food related event to attend. If I eat it, I have to earn it. So far that has worked for me (down 49 lbs!) Another thing that has helped me is the recognition that I used food for comfort when I was feeling depressed or anxious. Now I look for other ways to handle those feelings.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Ive been maintaining for 2 1/2 years. I still eat junk food and I don't exercise enough.
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    edited August 2016
    _piaffe wrote: »
    I always feel like I'm one big meal / box of chocolate away from my former self.

Oh, la. This. lol.

Just started maintenance a few weeks ago and have been on holiday during that same period so it is a little tough to see clearly how it will work. At least I do know I can 'play' with my calories to achieve what I want. Day by day.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    I know it sounds stupid, but I have the opposite problem of a lot of maintainers, stopping. Ive actually lost 7 lbs since I hit goal weight. I struggle with allowing myself to eat enough to maintain my cardio work. Right now I take in 2700. It's not like I'm hungry and refusing to eat, I added a bowl of cereal/milk each night just to take in more calories. But allowing myself to let go a little on "bad" foods I think is at the core.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Bad news: Eating pasta, baked goods, and have gained 3 lbs. I like the idea of seeing food as fuel...maybe that will work for me.

3# is my normal fluctuation. Food as fuel is a great outlook, unfortunately, I have always been the type of person who "lives to eat". My bad news is my husband is a "eats to live" person. I know it is never going to be possible to be an "eats to live" person for me. I just love everything about food too much. I love to shop for it, prepare it, and unfortunately, eat it. For me, now the incentive, is to never allow myself to go back to a severely obese person, and that means I have to keep logging and monitoring my weight. I am good at estimating portion sizes now, and am very aware of what I have to do to stay a "normal weight", that involves constant vigilance. Just the way it is for me.

• Nathanae
    Nathanae Posts: 29 Member
    I'm still obsessed with tracking food and calories and diet-rules. I can't bring myself to relax, although I've had a few "bad" days (even one with binging) lately and need to be careful not to go from maintainer to gainer soon! (to be honest, I am still very happy whenever the number on the scales drops, although I know I shouldn' because I'm losing my figure. I need to catch up in terms of muscle! :/ I like how I look in underwear now but, honestly, I hate how my breasts look without a bra!! :( )
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    I love this thread
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    If I had abillion dollars I'd spend it mostly on food and surgery
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    leejoyce31 wrote: »
    I love this thread

I started maintaining in May. It is a struggle. I can be "good" only so long, and then I overeat. I've tried to get a good balance and find the best numbers for me, but it really isn't easy. I've struggled to stay in the range I chose, possibly because I had such a large deficit when I was losing. But I'm a work in progress!
  • gruvergirl
    gruvergirl Posts: 11 Member
    I'm not at maintenance yet, but I was curious about this thread---very enlightening! And full of great advice for where I am now. Perhaps if I adapt some of these tips now then when I do hit my goal, maintenance may be a little easier. Thank you all for the confessions!!! I love that some of you mentioned preparing for high calorie occasions...weddings, potlucks, or even weekend snacking. Love it!
  • SunflowerSandra
    SunflowerSandra Posts: 70 Member
    I still buy an entire bag of chips and eat it in one sitting, however I know it and often log it.
    I don't always log when I know I am way over my calories.
    I rarely meet my protein goal.
  • sunshira
    sunshira Posts: 14 Member
    Ive been on maintenance for a year and am really struggling this past week. I need a new goal and focus as i see old habits coming back and i keep telling myself tomorrow will be the day but I need to focus on today not tomorrow. I feel so much better slimmer and more fit. Why would i jeopardize this wonderful way that i feel. Help!
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Survived a three week holiday. Just. No real gain in weight but wasn't able to log properly/consistently. Pretty sure I ate just above a deficit and activity helped prevent a gain. Kinda wish I was able to log to see exactly what I ate in retrospect but, you know what? Real life happens. so I am not going to stress about it.
    Back to the plan with logging and will see how it goes!
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    sunshira wrote: »
    Ive been on maintenance for a year and am really struggling this past week. I need a new goal and focus as i see old habits coming back and i keep telling myself tomorrow will be the day but I need to focus on today not tomorrow. I feel so much better slimmer and more fit. Why would i jeopardize this wonderful way that i feel. Help!

Did something stressful or different happen this past week? I've been in maintenance four months. Sometimes, I'm concerned that I will revert to old habits from 15 months ago.