20 pounds in 1 month

Options
EarthzAngel
EarthzAngel Posts: 260 Member
I need to lose 20 pounds in 1 month
Do you all think that's possible ? lol
I say need because I'm in the navy and I have a time limit.
I only have half a thyroid
And I have been keeping track of everything since I got back home from deployment.
Any suggestions for work outs ? :)

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    No 20 pounds in 1 month is not healthy or realistic unless you are currently obese. Net at least 1200 calories and just do the best you can until then. Maybe eat low carb for several days before weigh-in. That should help reduce water weight.

Pound per week goals
    75+ lbs set to lose 2 lb range
    Between 40 - 75 lbs set to lose 1.5 lb range
    Between 25-40 lbs set to lose 1 lb range
    Between 15-25 lbs set to lose 1 -.50 lb range
    Less than 15 lbs set to lose 0.5 lbs range

To lose 20 pounds in 1 month you would need a 2,335 calorie deficit every single day. 20/30 = .667 pounds per day. .667 x 3,500 = 2,335 calories.

You would have to be a really large person right now to allow for a 2,335 calorie deficit while still eating a decent amount of nutrition.
  • dpurzer
    dpurzer Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Depends on what percentage 20 pounds is of your total body weight. Based on your profile picture, 20 pounds is too tall an order. Consider lifting, toning, and tanning which will make you "look" 20 pounds lighter...
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    Isn't there a Navy Dr/medic to discuss this with you? Esp the half thyroid aspect. Did you gain weight over a long period?
    PS TY for yr service
  • EarthzAngel
    Options
    @Jimb376mfp I have tried to talk to doctors while in the military but they weren't much of a help. So I have to look into the VA here.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    The docs should know this is not reasonable for anyone (unless morbidly obese) to lose 20 pounds in a month. That is just ridiculous.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I knew an NCO who needed to lose weight to meet height/weight for BNOCC or face being flagged for failing to progress/promote on time in lifecycle. After almost a year at it, he ended up getting liposuction from a less than ethical private doctor to do so by meeting tape even though he still failed the weigh part miserably.

Suffice it to say, he looked permanently odd in uniform afterwards. :\ Not saying to do this. I'm saying be realistic.

Suffice it to also say I am not prior Navy. But the advice remains the same tho my terminology may be a bit off:

Unless you are going to get separated from your, I am assuming based on your posts, Reserve unit if you fail this PRT's height/weight get taped and if you fail it, take the flag for FEP/nutritional counseling. Then start getting your problems and attempts to overcome them medically documented within the system. That way if you can't figure out a way to sustainably get back into standards with (or more likely without) the Navy's help over a more achievable time frame, accept the fact continued military service (at least with the Navy) is not in the cards for you and seek a MEB out for an honorable discharge.

Also, unless you are distant from your unit and every other military installation (Army, AF, etc.) you should have access to a free gym and it's trainers to develop a reasonable work out routine to help you achieve not your weight loss goals, but your PRT score goals.

As far as losing the weight, you need to figure out what your daily caloric need for a 1-2 lbs a week loss is and eat back at least half of your calculated daily calorie expenditure on exercise. Buy a food scale. Accurately weigh, accurately calculate caloric content of by verifying against labels and UDSA's nutrition database, and log your food and drink every day. All of it, even single serving packaged foods as what the label says the weight is versus what it really is are two different things.

If you are unable to stick to that amount by just eating whatever you want as long as you stay within 50 calories of your calculated calorie limit, consider following Atkins New Diet Revolution (published in 2002) by the book. Not by what anyone online says; by the written book. A low carb diet may help you get your appetite under control so you can get your calories where they need to be for successful weight loss. If it works for you, as you progress up the Atkins ladder as laid out, at some point you'll need to start calculating calories again. Why? Because they matter and I'm living proof you can still get fat eating low carb. Low carb will not prevent one from staying/getting fat if they are eating 2-6K calories a day above their TDEE.

And you are going to find the military is not good at thyroids. Many docs/nurses in it fail to even order/run a proper thyroid panel to assess where you are at as far as function versus supplementation. If you really want to stay in the military, you may have to pay for private health insurance coverage and/or shell out of pocket for the cost of seeing a civilian MD/DO who is more current/up to date on the issue as far as where your test results should be for optimal health.

Do this right and you'll learn the tools as well as how to eat in a manner that'll keep you from ever being in this same position again for the rest of your, hopefully, long and illustrious military career. Don't and you're going to be, at best, in for a miserable time riding the weight yo-yo of Doom and at worst, negatively affecting your health in some manner permanently.
  • afort001
    afort001 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    How about passing the tape ? Maybe not the weight but you can pass tape.... Especially if you are 20 over
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    It is probably not going to happen, so just eat less calories than you burn (minimum of 1200/day), and stay with your program, do what you can.

What are the consequences? Will the Navy work with you if they see you are putting in an effort?

I hope things work out for you, and thank you for your service.
  • EarthzAngel
    Options
    snerggly
    >>>I am with her, I was in the Navy for 13 years. They are not good at dealing with these types of health issues.

Back to the original questions, I don't think it's good for your heart to lose that much that fast. I lost 40 pounds of weight when I went through a divorce 16 years ago and my doctor said I put some stress on my heart. Someone on here already said this - but 1200 calories per day minimum, work out (walking whatever YOU enjoy doing.) Don't eat out (just for one month), no fastfood and I bet you will lose some weight. Take care of yourself and thank you for your service to our country! :)

ME:
    Thanks for your support!
  • EarthzAngel
    Options
    Skyygraphx wrote: »
    I am looking to loose 20lbs myself, just not in that short a time-span, and I got some great advice from both a holistic nutritionist and a trainer. Basically, you need to eat a 1000 calorie deficit each day to loose approximately 2 lbs a week in a healthy way. The way I understand this is that you need to burn 1000 more calories than you consume (anyone please correct me if this sounds inaccurate). That being said, the TYPE of calories you eat also play a huge role in healthy weight loss. As my nutritionist explained, about 80% of weight loss is from diet and the other 20% is from exercise. I have experienced this to be SO true over the past few months. Even while putting working out on hold I still lost weight by just eating right. I work at a desk in an office so that says something! I also feel better, my energy levels are higher, i feel more alert and focused, i sleep better at night. Cleaning up your diet not only helps with weight loss but so many other health issues as well.

LOTS of green plants and cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, kale, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, etc... This should make up about 70% of your diet.

Whole grains/sprouted grains like brown rice, quinoa, buckwheat flour (once a day around lunch time is best). I find that eating carbs at lunch gives me energy to get through the day and I sleep better if I eat a carb free dinner. Also try to stop eating around 8pm each night.

Protein from clean sources; organic chicken, organic grass fed beef, organic eggs, wild caught salmon and other wild caught fish as well as beans, legumes & raw/sprouted nuts.

Eating meat every day is also not necessary, my nutritionist recommends having days where you avoid meat all together. Once or twice a week you can have a vegetarian day.

Minimal dairy as cow milk can be very inflammatory: I use Califa Farms almond milk as a substitute and my son and I both really like it since other brands tend to not be as creamy or flavorful. Coconut milk is great too. I use that in breakfast smoothies and try to stick with only one serving of actual cow dairy a day. Cheese is my weakness. :P

Cook with healthy oils like coconut oil, avocado oil and sunflower seed oil. These are good for high heat cooking. Reserve your olive oil for cold things like salads since it hydrogenates at high temperatures. Avoid heavily processed oil like canola and cottonseed.

Gluten and anything made with bleached, processed flour is also a big no-no. There are some great sprouted breads and true sourdough breads out there but you have to really know what to look for on your labels. My go-to is the Ezekiel Bread by Food for Life. They have a number of good bread options. Usually I find them in the frozen section at the store.

And absolutely NO processed or fast food, foods high in sugar, soda or juices with added sugar. Sugar is one of the number one causes of weight gain and it's hiding in almost EVERYTHING that is pre-packaged.

Drink lots of water. Adding cold pressed green juice into your diet is also great. Suja is my brand of choice, they offer a few different green blends, fruit smoothies and some other fruit varieties. It's a little pricey at most places but I found it at wlamart for half the price of the regular stores.

As for workouts, my trainer recommends body weight and strength training with only 1 day dedicated to cardio. FitnessBuddy is a decent "trainer" app with a pretty big selection of workouts and routines. I'm also a big fan of the P90X if you have access to it. Their yoga routine is a fantastic workout in my opinion.

The fitness trackers I use to gauge my progress are Fitbit for step tracking, Under Armor Record for logging my workouts and of course My Fitness Pal for tracking my food. They all sync pretty seamlessly and make it super easy for me to track my calorie intake compared to my calorie output.

I hope this helps you get started and thank you for your service! :smile:

Thank you so much
  • EarthzAngel
    Options
    I knew an NCO who needed to lose weight to meet height/weight for BNOCC or face being flagged for failing to progress/promote on time in lifecycle. After almost a year at it, he ended up getting liposuction from a less than ethical private doctor to do so by meeting tape even though he still failed the weigh part miserably.

Suffice it to say, he looked permanently odd in uniform afterwards. :\ Not saying to do this. I'm saying be realistic.

Suffice it to also say I am not prior Navy. But the advice remains the same tho my terminology may be a bit off:

Unless you are going to get separated from your, I am assuming based on your posts, Reserve unit if you fail this PRT's height/weight get taped and if you fail it, take the flag for FEP/nutritional counseling. Then start getting your problems and attempts to overcome them medically documented within the system. That way if you can't figure out a way to sustainably get back into standards with (or more likely without) the Navy's help over a more achievable time frame, accept the fact continued military service (at least with the Navy) is not in the cards for you and seek a MEB out for an honorable discharge.

Also, unless you are distant from your unit and every other military installation (Army, AF, etc.) you should have access to a free gym and it's trainers to develop a reasonable work out routine to help you achieve not your weight loss goals, but your PRT score goals.

As far as losing the weight, you need to figure out what your daily caloric need for a 1-2 lbs a week loss is and eat back at least half of your calculated daily calorie expenditure on exercise. Buy a food scale. Accurately weigh, accurately calculate caloric content of by verifying against labels and UDSA's nutrition database, and log your food and drink every day. All of it, even single serving packaged foods as what the label says the weight is versus what it really is are two different things.

If you are unable to stick to that amount by just eating whatever you want as long as you stay within 50 calories of your calculated calorie limit, consider following Atkins New Diet Revolution (published in 2002) by the book. Not by what anyone online says; by the written book. A low carb diet may help you get your appetite under control so you can get your calories where they need to be for successful weight loss. If it works for you, as you progress up the Atkins ladder as laid out, at some point you'll need to start calculating calories again. Why? Because they matter and I'm living proof you can still get fat eating low carb. Low carb will not prevent one from staying/getting fat if they are eating 2-6K calories a day above their TDEE.

And you are going to find the military is not good at thyroids. Many docs/nurses in it fail to even order/run a proper thyroid panel to assess where you are at as far as function versus supplementation. If you really want to stay in the military, you may have to pay for private health insurance coverage and/or shell out of pocket for the cost of seeing a civilian MD/DO who is more current/up to date on the issue as far as where your test results should be for optimal health.

Do this right and you'll learn the tools as well as how to eat in a manner that'll keep you from ever being in this same position again for the rest of your, hopefully, long and illustrious military career. Don't and you're going to be, at best, in for a miserable time riding the weight yo-yo of Doom and at worst, negatively affecting your health in some manner permanently.

Thank you
  • EarthzAngel
    Options
    afort001 wrote: »
    How about passing the tape ? Maybe not the weight but you can pass tape.... Especially if you are 20 over
    It is probably not going to happen, so just eat less calories than you burn (minimum of 1200/day), and stay with your program, do what you can.

What are the consequences? Will the Navy work with you if they see you are putting in an effort?

I hope things work out for you, and thank you for your service.

Unfortunately the Navy won't work with you if you fail lol
  • SnazzIT
    SnazzIT Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Try Intermittent Fasting - I do fast:five eating between a five hour window between 5pm-10pm but can be adjusted to suit your daily routine. However, research it first. I lost over 30lbs in a few months just following this way of eating.
  • RuthyLOL
    RuthyLOL Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Eliminate all carbs and sugar. Not the best thing but you will lose the weigh.
  • Soapstone
    Soapstone Posts: 134 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Do keto and work out. I lost 15 lb in two weeks back in May on keto before I stopped doing it. I was 50 lb overweight at the time, so I had a significant amount to lose, but nothing crazy that would make me lose so fast-A lot of it is water weight but that's okay if you just need to pass a weigh in. Eat high fat, normal protein, and near zero carb, (sub-20g )and you'll lose it. Good luck.

ETA: I was at a normal, 500 cal deficit, not even working out, and lost 15. The key for you will be to cut that water weight, and eating carbs makes you retain water. You aren't going to harm yourself doing keto for a month; I know people who have eaten keto for years and are happy, healthy people.
  • aliblain
    aliblain Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I think as the above poster has suggested, a low carb diet might be the best for you as it will mean you lose a lot of water weight. Even doing things like eating lots of asparagus and eliminating salt the day before the weigh in may help (it helps eliminate water weight). It will be hard to lose 20lb of fat but you may get near by eliminating water weight.
  • mikeisgod83
    mikeisgod83 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm prior Army and I find this hard to believe that the Navy wont work with you. Typically if you're showing progress, they're not going to start processing you out... yeah, you may be flagged for height/weight failure, non-promotable, wont send you to schools etc, but not to the point they're going to boot you. This is obviously with the assumption this hasn't been an ongoing issue. 20LB in one month is doable, you're probably not going to kill yourself, but realistically its a steep goal, and probably less than healthy. I'd just workout the best you can, count calories per MFP w/ a reasonable calorie goal and speak with your chain of command.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!