All calories may not be equal

Options

Replies

• rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    This is the link from when I was tracking our progress with this diet in case anyone is interested. The results were better thAn we had anticipated.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10360039/supporting-spouse-in-diet
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    I've read Ludwig's book and my husband and I have been following his program. I'm a normal weight person and have been maintaining using Mfp to travel calories and exercise. I experienced no weight loss but decrease in hunger between breakfast and lunch due to increased satiety. I basically follow the program pretty loosely now because I need more carbs to support my workouts. However, my husband, who is significantly overweight and type 2 diabetic, has lost 35 lbs since April. He's really the poster child for the kind of individual Ludwig writes about. Part of Ludwig's theory is that the low fat craze led to an industry that produced high carb, nutritionally empty foods that were unsatisfying, creating a population like my husband. For my hub, eating full fat products and increased protein significantly decreased his cravings for carbs. After eating a typical Ludwig breakfast, he's able to pass up donuts and pizza at the office. The answer is yes, my spouse is probably eating fewer calories because he is satisfied and too full to crave foods he ate before. He's also eating more nutrient dense foods.

And that is the problem with those who advocate calorie counting. Your husband has reduced calorie intake simply by changing what he eats. If he were just counting calories, but eating the crappy low-fat diet the USDA recommended for 30 years (they finally apologized this year), he probably would have failed because of the lack of satiety.

You can change your diet and end up eating too much anyway. I've seen this happen to people doing paleo and think it would have happened to me if I'd stayed with paleo and not also logged/watched portions or the like.

Lots of people here lost without meaningfully changing their diet. Mine was pretty good -- I changed it in that I eliminated most snacking, but the fundamentals aren't the same. You shouldn't assume things about other people's diets. (I was never hungry even on 1250 either -- hunger isn't my issue usually.)

Most significantly, anyone who cuts calories without consideration of satiety or doesn't react to being consistently hungry by changing up your diet isn't acting sensibly. I think most of us do this, and don't need to follow a special program to figure out how. IMO, that -- and understanding the basics of eating a nutritious diet -- is a basic life skill, not something one needs a special program or plan to follow in order to do.

Plus, there's nothing about calorie counting that would preclude you from doing that -- that's the claim that bothers me most. Some people don't care about nutrition. Personally, I do -- did even when I was putting on weight -- and so I counted and focused on eating a healthful diet when losing. But changing how much (as in calories) I ate was a necessary change.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I've read Ludwig's book and my husband and I have been following his program. I'm a normal weight person and have been maintaining using Mfp to travel calories and exercise. I experienced no weight loss but decrease in hunger between breakfast and lunch due to increased satiety. I basically follow the program pretty loosely now because I need more carbs to support my workouts. However, my husband, who is significantly overweight and type 2 diabetic, has lost 35 lbs since April. He's really the poster child for the kind of individual Ludwig writes about. Part of Ludwig's theory is that the low fat craze led to an industry that produced high carb, nutritionally empty foods that were unsatisfying, creating a population like my husband. For my hub, eating full fat products and increased protein significantly decreased his cravings for carbs. After eating a typical Ludwig breakfast, he's able to pass up donuts and pizza at the office. The answer is yes, my spouse is probably eating fewer calories because he is satisfied and too full to crave foods he ate before. He's also eating more nutrient dense foods.

And that is the problem with those who advocate calorie counting. Your husband has reduced calorie intake simply by changing what he eats. If he were just counting calories, but eating the crappy low-fat diet the USDA recommended for 30 years (they finally apologized this year), he probably would have failed because of the lack of satiety.

And of course if you greatly reduce consumption of grains and sugar, you can reduce complications from T2 diabetes, and sometimes reverse it. You can't if you are eating bagels and low-fat cream cheese for breakfast, pizza for lunch, and pasta for dinner.

Non sense. Low fat does not =/= low satiety. Protein + fiber have the greatest satiety, and then starches. Going from eating junk food to eating whole quality food is what made the difference. The person husband stopped eating highly calorie, high carb, high fat, high sodium foods and something more reasonable. It's the quality of food that change, which drove a reduction in calories. Many of us do the same thing with whole grains, oats, quinoa and bunch of other carb items.
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Mentali wrote: »
    It actually kind of sucks when people get so nitpicky and scientific that the conversation becomes unsustainable because it's moved so far from the real world. I agree with the argument that a calorie is a calorie, but using the scientific definition of a calorie to claim the question doesn't make sense willfully ignores the actual content of the question and focuses on semantics so much that it becomes a meaningless argument. Sure, you might win that particular point, but you're not doing anything to move the conversation forward and have narrowed the scope to a point that the original conversation can't even be discussed.

It's kind of like if someone came in here saying "I want to weigh less, will eating less carbs do that?" and someone started arguing with them that they're misusing the word "less" by not specifying what they want to weigh less than and continuing to argue it until the conversation is about the definition of the word "less". Yeah, you may be right from a technical standpoint, but now the conversation is about the definition of "less" and not the actual question.

I actually see it as something of the opposite.

People who say "ah ha! a calorie is NOT a calorie because broccoli is different from cake" are being willfully obtuse and arguing a strawman, because of course no one has ever said that broccoli is the same as cake (or that foods are foods for all purposes). It's an intentional misunderstanding of what people who say "a calorie is a calorie" mean, which is why they are in their rights to point out that a calorie is a unit of energy.

Most of this IS people talking past each other, but I think mainly due to this willful misrepresentation or intentional misunderstanding by those claiming that calories are different. That's why I always try to explain nicely that I don't think it's helpful to use "a calorie" as a synonym for food or to pretend like the body recognizes "broccoli calories" as such. You'd think the clarification would be helpful and allow for further discussion, not be taken as some kind of hypertechnicality. If the person thinks there's actually a disagreement once their misrepresentation (no, no one thinks it's good to live on cake alone) is cleared up, I'd love to hear about it.

For the record this criticism was criticism of where the conversation had headed in the last page, not the overall argument - there were a lot of separate posts that all talked about the technical definition of calorie as proof that a calorie is a calorie, ignoring the meaning behind the phrase and positioning that argument as "proof" that the OP was wrong. In my previous post I had gone back and re-read the last few pages specifically for the names saying it, and it wasn't any of your posts/opinions. :)

I feel the same way about the "muscle is heavier than fat" truthers upthread - you know what they mean! You're technically correct but not contributing anything to the discussion by arguing semantics!

I was in the middle of trying to write out a "both sides are misrepresenting" response but on further thought I think you're right - I can't think of a single way people are misrepresenting the "all calories are not equal for weight loss" people's arguments but the other side is continually having to defend that the nutrition of different foods are not equal, just their effect on weight loss, even though that's been established long before this thread. Circles!
  • gonetothedogs19
    gonetothedogs19 Posts: 325 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

And of course if you greatly reduce consumption of grains and sugar, you can reduce complications from T2 diabetes, and sometimes reverse it. You can't if you are eating bagels and low-fat cream cheese for breakfast, pizza for lunch, and pasta for dinner.

Non sense. Low fat does not =/= low satiety. Protein + fiber have the greatest satiety, and then starches. Going from eating junk food to eating whole quality food is what made the difference. The person husband stopped eating highly calorie, high carb, high fat, high sodium foods and something more reasonable. It's the quality of food that change, which drove a reduction in calories. Many of us do the same thing with whole grains, oats, quinoa and bunch of other carb items.

Sounds like your a whole-food vegan. Good for you. But her husband (and 98% of Americans) will never be vegans. So you do the alternative healthy option for many (not all) because of satiety - high fat, low sugar, low grain.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Mentali wrote: »
    I feel the same way about the "muscle is heavier than fat" truthers upthread - you know what they mean! You're technically correct but not contributing anything to the discussion by arguing semantics!

I'm with you here!
  • gonetothedogs19
    gonetothedogs19 Posts: 325 Member
    Options

"Protein + fiber "
    Sounds like your a whole-food vegan. Good for you. But her husband (and 98% of Americans) will never be vegans. So you do the alternative healthy option for many (not all) because of satiety - high fat, low sugar, low grain.

Yup, sounds right.

Never understood the vegan thing. I do understand not wanting to kill animals for food and have no problem with that philosophy.

But if you won't eat an egg from your neighbor's happy and healthy backyard chickens just a few times a year, it becomes a religion. And please vegans, don't give me a cholesterol lecture.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

I agree with psulemon, and I'm certainly not a whole foods vegan, and I'm pretty sure he's not either.

High fat is not especially satiating for the average person (for some, sure), and the SAD is considered on the high fat side, even though it's not at HFLC levels. The SAD may not be satiating (although I don't actually think that's why most overeat, I think it's hedonic eating), but that's because it's woefully low in things like vegetables, fruits, legumes, and whole grains, that potatoes are typically eaten in fry or chip form (fine in moderation, but not the most satiating version), that subsets of the population drink tons of sugary soda and the like (not satiating at all), and that meat on average tends to be higher fat version. We also eat lots of cheese (which I personally do love immoderately).
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

You can get plenty of protein and fiber without being a whole-food vegan. I'm not sure why you would jump to the conclusion that one must eliminate animal products or non-whole foods in order to get sufficient protein and fiber.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options

I agree with psulemon, and I'm certainly not a whole foods vegan, and I'm pretty sure he's not either.

High fat is not especially satiating for the average person (for some, sure), and the SAD is considered on the high fat side, even though it's not at HFLC levels. The SAD may not be satiating (although I don't actually think that's why most overeat, I think it's hedonic eating), but that's because it's woefully low in things like vegetables, fruits, legumes, and whole grains, that potatoes are typically eaten in fry or chip form (fine in moderation, but not the most satiating version), that subsets of the population drink tons of sugary soda and the like (not satiating at all), and that meat on average tends to be higher fat version. We also eat lots of cheese (which I personally do love immoderately).

This x1000.

And a quick peek into lemon's diary confirms that he's definitely not a whole foods vegan. I laughed pretty hard at that assumption.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Calling CICO a diet really shows you don't even know what CICO is.

Oh for Pet's sake - here you go: "CICO diet", as short for "a diet based on the CICO principle where all calories have the same value"

Better?

Better in the sense that you just proved his point, that you don't know what CICO is?

Yes.

It simply refers to a (set of) math equation(s). It's not a diet in any sense of the word.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

You can get plenty of protein and fiber without being a whole-food vegan. I'm not sure why you would jump to the conclusion that one must eliminate animal products or non-whole foods in order to get sufficient protein and fiber.

Yep! The best thing I did to help me stick to my calories was to add more veggies, more lean chicken and fish, more 2% greek yogurt, and some protein powder. I already had plenty of fat in my diet previously, it was the extra protein and fiber that made the difference. And my diet would make a vegan cry :disappointed:
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Is that Lionel Richie?
  • psuLemon
    Options

This x1000.

And a quick peek into lemon's diary confirms that he's definitely not a whole foods vegan. I laughed pretty hard at that assumption.

I am certainly not a vegan nor will I ever become one. Meat is a huge part of my diet.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    The name of this thread is "all calories may not be equal."

This is what Dr. Mark Hyman has to say. He is chairman of The Institute for Functional Medicine at the Cleveland Clinic.

"The truth is there are good and bad calories. And that’s because this involves more than a simple math equation. If you eat the same amount of calories in kale or gummy bears, do they do the same thing to your body? No!

When we eat, our food interacts with our biology, which is a complex adaptive system that instantly transforms every bite. Every bite affects your hormones, brain chemistry and metabolism. Sugar calories cause fat storage and spikes hunger. Protein and fat calories promote fat burning.

What counts even more than the quantity of calories are the quality of the calories."

Quantity of calories is definitely more important than quality in terms of weight loss, but that doesn't mean that quality doesn't matter; it certain does matter and plays a huge role in satiety and sustaining a weight loss strategy. Even if you eat perfect quality nutrients, you can still gain weight.

Dr. Hyman's argument is a bit obtuse because it would not occur in any environment. If you ate only kale, you would have a fat and protein deficiency. Same thing would happen with only gummy bears.

Also, sugar (carbohydrates) are less likely to store as fat, as compared to dietary fat through de nova lipogenesis. Below is some good information if you are interested in reading more about it.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/74/6/707.full

So in case you don't realize it, there are several hormones that inhibit lipolysis (fat burning) and induce lipogenesis (fat storage). When your body starts to break down carbs into glucose, your pancreas will release insulin as a means to regulate blood sugar. As insulin comes into your system, your body releases the enzyme lipoportein lipase (LPL); subsequently, it will also suppress Hormone Sensitive Lipase (HSL) which is your fat burning hormone. Due to this, people assume that insulin is bad because the thought process is: Carbs -->Insulin--> Suppressed fat oxidation --> Oh No!!!

Side note: Protein is also an insulinogenic.

What a lot of people don't realize, because it's not as discussed currently are the other hormones that suppress HSL and put our bodies into Lipogenesis. When you eat large amounts of fat, your body will release the enzyme Acylation Stimulating Protein (ASP). This enzyme also suppresses HSL, which in turn causes your body to go into lipogenesis.

When a person eats both fats and carbs, your body has a third hormone that will suppress HSL; that is called Glucose-dependent Insulinthropic Peptide (GIP).

The TL:DR verision of this: We are all screwed. Our body are fat storing machines.

Just going to bump this response to further the discussion.