All calories may not be equal

Options

Replies

• Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    rosebette wrote: »
    I've read Ludwig's book and my husband and I have been following his program. I'm a normal weight person and have been maintaining using Mfp to travel calories and exercise. I experienced no weight loss but decrease in hunger between breakfast and lunch due to increased satiety. I basically follow the program pretty loosely now because I need more carbs to support my workouts. However, my husband, who is significantly overweight and type 2 diabetic, has lost 35 lbs since April. He's really the poster child for the kind of individual Ludwig writes about. Part of Ludwig's theory is that the low fat craze led to an industry that produced high carb, nutritionally empty foods that were unsatisfying, creating a population like my husband. For my hub, eating full fat products and increased protein significantly decreased his cravings for carbs. After eating a typical Ludwig breakfast, he's able to pass up donuts and pizza at the office. The answer is yes, my spouse is probably eating fewer calories because he is satisfied and too full to crave foods he ate before. He's also eating more nutrient dense foods.

And that is the problem with those who advocate calorie counting. Your husband has reduced calorie intake simply by changing what he eats. If he were just counting calories, but eating the crappy low-fat diet the USDA recommended for 30 years (they finally apologized this year), he probably would have failed because of the lack of satiety.

And of course if you greatly reduce consumption of grains and sugar, you can reduce complications from T2 diabetes, and sometimes reverse it. You can't if you are eating bagels and low-fat cream cheese for breakfast, pizza for lunch, and pasta for dinner.

Non sense. Low fat does not =/= low satiety. Protein + fiber have the greatest satiety, and then starches. Going from eating junk food to eating whole quality food is what made the difference. The person husband stopped eating highly calorie, high carb, high fat, high sodium foods and something more reasonable. It's the quality of food that change, which drove a reduction in calories. Many of us do the same thing with whole grains, oats, quinoa and bunch of other carb items.

"Protein + fiber "
    Sounds like your a whole-food vegan. Good for you. But her husband (and 98% of Americans) will never be vegans. So you do the alternative healthy option for many (not all) because of satiety - high fat, low sugar, low grain.

Yup, sounds right.

Never understood the vegan thing. I do understand not wanting to kill animals for food and have no problem with that philosophy.

But if you won't eat an egg from your neighbor's happy and healthy backyard chickens just a few times a year, it becomes a religion. And please vegans, don't give me a cholesterol lecture.

My decision to avoid eggs from backyard chickens has nothing to do with religion -- it's a consistent position on animal exploitation. Backyard chickens actually form a significant part of the rescue chicken population and many of them are killed when the people who own them are no longer able to care for them. Even if one does make a commitment to care for chickens for their entire life (that is, not killing them when their production rate declines), there are no sources for chicks of which I am aware that don't participate in practices to which I am opposed (chick culling, using chickens for meat, and selling chicks to people who prioritize profit over the welfare of the chickens) so I wouldn't want to be a part of that process by eating eggs from backyard chickens.

Even happy and healthy backyard chickens were treated as product at some point in their life -- although the person who is presently caring for them may have their welfare as a primary concern, I avoid eggs as part of an objection to the overall chick/chicken industry.

If you don't understand why someone does something, sometimes asking will help you to find out. It may be easier to dismiss something as a religion before seeking to understand it, but it doesn't lead to greater clarity. This is my choice of what I feel comfortable supporting with my own actions, I realize other people may feel differently.

My neighbor treats her chickens like I treat my dog. And look at her chickens as chicken rescues, just like my dog was a rescue.

There is no moral reason not to eat eggs from neighbor's chickens who are treated like family pets. None.

Did she adopt them from a chicken rescue?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,550 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    RGv2 wrote: »
    I see lumpia!!

Lumpia must be different in different regions. The Lumpia I get from our neighbors isn't in that picture, or I'm blind. Both of which are completely possible.

In the rectangular tray, on the right, above the noodle dish?
    Yes. That one has shrimp in it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,550 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    YES! Tongue tied now.

So how about the answer to your 2000 donut and 2000 natural food question with Stevie Starr? 23 years of eating junk and not overweight or obese. Teeth could use some work though.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Calories in and calories out is a limited tool to describe how foods are affecting your body. Understanding the endocrine system and how foods impact it at different times of the day is the next level.

And I would say the vast majority of people on this site don't actually need to be at that level. It's called majoring in the minors. People who have mostly achieved their goal of weight loss but are looking for elite levels of body sculpting need to look at the minor details. The average person wanting to lose 50-100lbs to not be classified as obese any more doe not.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I've read Ludwig's book and my husband and I have been following his program. I'm a normal weight person and have been maintaining using Mfp to travel calories and exercise. I experienced no weight loss but decrease in hunger between breakfast and lunch due to increased satiety. I basically follow the program pretty loosely now because I need more carbs to support my workouts. However, my husband, who is significantly overweight and type 2 diabetic, has lost 35 lbs since April. He's really the poster child for the kind of individual Ludwig writes about. Part of Ludwig's theory is that the low fat craze led to an industry that produced high carb, nutritionally empty foods that were unsatisfying, creating a population like my husband. For my hub, eating full fat products and increased protein significantly decreased his cravings for carbs. After eating a typical Ludwig breakfast, he's able to pass up donuts and pizza at the office. The answer is yes, my spouse is probably eating fewer calories because he is satisfied and too full to crave foods he ate before. He's also eating more nutrient dense foods.

And that is the problem with those who advocate calorie counting. Your husband has reduced calorie intake simply by changing what he eats. If he were just counting calories, but eating the crappy low-fat diet the USDA recommended for 30 years (they finally apologized this year), he probably would have failed because of the lack of satiety.

And of course if you greatly reduce consumption of grains and sugar, you can reduce complications from T2 diabetes, and sometimes reverse it. You can't if you are eating bagels and low-fat cream cheese for breakfast, pizza for lunch, and pasta for dinner.

Non sense. Low fat does not =/= low satiety. Protein + fiber have the greatest satiety, and then starches. Going from eating junk food to eating whole quality food is what made the difference. The person husband stopped eating highly calorie, high carb, high fat, high sodium foods and something more reasonable. It's the quality of food that change, which drove a reduction in calories. Many of us do the same thing with whole grains, oats, quinoa and bunch of other carb items.

"Protein + fiber "
    Sounds like your a whole-food vegan. Good for you. But her husband (and 98% of Americans) will never be vegans. So you do the alternative healthy option for many (not all) because of satiety - high fat, low sugar, low grain.

Yup, sounds right.

Never understood the vegan thing. I do understand not wanting to kill animals for food and have no problem with that philosophy.

But if you won't eat an egg from your neighbor's happy and healthy backyard chickens just a few times a year, it becomes a religion. And please vegans, don't give me a cholesterol lecture.

My decision to avoid eggs from backyard chickens has nothing to do with religion -- it's a consistent position on animal exploitation. Backyard chickens actually form a significant part of the rescue chicken population and many of them are killed when the people who own them are no longer able to care for them. Even if one does make a commitment to care for chickens for their entire life (that is, not killing them when their production rate declines), there are no sources for chicks of which I am aware that don't participate in practices to which I am opposed (chick culling, using chickens for meat, and selling chicks to people who prioritize profit over the welfare of the chickens) so I wouldn't want to be a part of that process by eating eggs from backyard chickens.

Even happy and healthy backyard chickens were treated as product at some point in their life -- although the person who is presently caring for them may have their welfare as a primary concern, I avoid eggs as part of an objection to the overall chick/chicken industry.

If you don't understand why someone does something, sometimes asking will help you to find out. It may be easier to dismiss something as a religion before seeking to understand it, but it doesn't lead to greater clarity. This is my choice of what I feel comfortable supporting with my own actions, I realize other people may feel differently.

My neighbor treats her chickens like I treat my dog. And look at her chickens as chicken rescues, just like my dog was a rescue.

There is no moral reason not to eat eggs from neighbor's chickens who are treated like family pets. None.

Been down that road on these forums before. The reasoning made no sense to me (I shouldn't raise chickens because someone else is killing a baby rooster or some such nonsense).

But I would proffer that there is no reason not to eat eggs from any chicken that is treated humanely*. They don't have be in a backyard or treated as a pet. But I do think they should not be mistreated.

*Edited: other than personal preference, of course. ;)
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I see lumpia!!

Lumpia must be different in different regions. The Lumpia I get from our neighbors isn't in that picture, or I'm blind. Both of which are completely possible.

Maybe... The ones that we get from the neighbor are usually long and skinny.
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know how the calorie content of food is actually measured? And does anyone know if the method of measurement is really accurate?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    rabe99199 wrote: »
    Ill start by saying that i have never read the book but agree with the concept your putting forth. While everyone else is right to lose weight you need to be in a defficiency. I do however beleive that what you consume contributes to a overall better body composition. Its pretty obvious to me and i assume most people that say you eat 1500 cals a day all in cheeseburgers you will not be as successful as if your eating natural nourishing foods.

Guy that cut with his main source of protein being pizza:
    cico-still-skeptical-come-inside-for-a-meticulous-log-that-proves-it

Yes, this is the perfect thread.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    LauraCoth wrote: »
    Does anyone know how the calorie content of food is actually measured? And does anyone know if the method of measurement is really accurate?

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-do-food-manufacturers/
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

My parents aren't vegan and neither are many of my family and friends. Do we have overweight people in the family? Yes. Do we have fit lean people in the family? Yep. The difference between the overweight ones and the fit lean ones...............................is how MUCH we consume up to/over our TDEE. This is the same stuff you can't provide evidence to refute against. It still boils down to calories in/out.
    BTW it's family party time for 4 days. Just thought I'd post what we eat during this time.
    party_zpsrvn8wmxk.jpg

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

?Indonesian Independence Day by any chance?
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,203 Member
    Options
    rabe99199 wrote: »
    Ill start by saying that i have never read the book but agree with the concept your putting forth. While everyone else is right to lose weight you need to be in a defficiency. I do however beleive that what you consume contributes to a overall better body composition. Its pretty obvious to me and i assume most people that say you eat 1500 cals a day all in cheeseburgers you will not be as successful as if your eating natural nourishing foods.

Guy that cut with his main source of protein being pizza:
    cico-still-skeptical-come-inside-for-a-meticulous-log-that-proves-it

Sorry, but I just have to say, "Most awesome thread!" Hadn't seen it before, but will definitely be reading it.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    bethannien wrote: »

"Protein + fiber "

Yup, sounds right.

Wow you diagnose people with a mental health issue over the internet based on one behavior and now you get to dictate everyone's morality to them too?

You can't make this stuff up, folks.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Fine, I'll explain it to you since you can't follow.
    DNA is like a recipe
    5 free range omega-3 eggs
    3 cups of gluten free non-GMO flour
    1 cup of pure fair trade can sugar
    1 pan
    1 oven
    Heat @400 for 2 hours
    Yields 1 cake, 40 oz

Now, if I can never change that sequence as you put it, I can never make more than 1 cake. By your logic, people can't get fat because no matter how many ingredients (food) you have, you can't make more than one 40 oz cake (weight). Now, clearly, if you give someone more food or different food, you get different outputs, so clearly, the recipe can change, it isn't that rigid set of things above. It is your silly version where a person can't gain weight with more food because the recipe (DNA) is fixed exactly, and can't use more ingredients.

DNA is not a recipe. It's an enormous recipe book including instructions for building the whole kitchen. If you insist on using that type of analogy.

So your saying the book includes instructions for how to write the recipe book that is in that kitchen? As in, DNA could change itself..

The book includes instructions to make tools that repair the book if it gets torn.

You seem to be suggesting that the book intentionally rewrites itself though - which it does not do. Epigenetics is not the book rewriting itself. Epigenetics is whoever is reading the book flipping to different pages to read different recipes depending on the weather or who came to visit or some other external factor. Which is *really* stretching the analogy.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Etsar73 wrote: »
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I could easily hit 3000 calories eating at places like cheesecake factory. But getting that much at home day in day out, i reckon I'd struggle. My blowout cheat days rarely hit 2500 calories. I'm a total lightweight failure :tongue:

Adding one pint of Haagen-Dazs chocolate peanut butter ice cream (1360 calories) to my current deficit intake would put me at 3660. I don't think many people would consider a pint of ice cream per day as an undue hardship.

Alternately, I could cook my morning eggs in a couple tablespoons of olive oil (+240 calories), have 2 ounces of almonds for a mid-morning snack (+320 calories), slice up half an avocado and add it to my salad for dinner (+130 calories). Add those to my normal daily intake and boom, I'm at 3000 calories and would barely notice any difference in terms of satiety.

True, true :smile: I'd have no problem eating a pint of ice cream, and yes it would be easy adding lashings of oil to things without noticing it much.

@Christine_72 Do you have Halo Top ice cream down under? It's protein ice cream--an entire pint is 280 calories max. And it's GOOD. Not like the other stuff I've tried which tastes like frozen ice with a brown crayon mixed in and called "chocolate."

Also ... Sonics are just plain fun. It's a drive up restaurant and the wait staff is on roller skates. Worth it just for the experience. (And the tater tots.) :wink:

No we dont :( I don't think we have anything even remotely similar.

Fropro is sold at my Woolworths but a tub costs almost $14! I am tempted by the product but the price puts me right off!

http://fropro.com.au/

Don't want to derail this lovely thread..

But holy crap @Etsar73 thank you so much for bringing this my attention! I'm in SA, the forgotten state lol I went on the woolies website and it doesn't look like mine has it. But I'll be calling fropro and hopefully there's a stockist around here that has it. For $14 a tub :worried: I wont be eating the whole thing all at once!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I see lumpia!!

Maybe... The ones that we get from the neighbor are usually long and skinny.

That is what i usual get from my friend who is Filipino. Looks like a spring roll.