People who post their fitness stuff on FB, etc, have mental issues

Options
DetroitDarin
DetroitDarin Posts: 955 Member
SO says

http://www.businessinsider.de/people-who-post-their-fitness-routine-to-facebook-have-psychological-problems-study-claims-2016-8?IR=T
People who are always keen on documenting their gym activities (or every time you simply go for a good, old-fashioned run) tend to be narcissists. According to the researchers, the primary goal is to boast about how much time you invest in your looks. Apparently these status updates also earn more Facebook likes than other kinds of posts.

"Narcissists more frequently updated about their achievements, which was motivated by their need for attention and validation from the Facebook community", the study concludes. The high number of likes doesn't necessarily mean everyone loves seeing those bragging posts, though. Dr Tara Marshal goes on saying, that "although our results suggest that narcissists' bragging pays off because they receive more likes and comments to their status updates, it could be that their Facebook friends politely offer support while secretly disliking such egotistical displays."

I get it. And I believe it - but it's more than just fitness stuff. Transcends fitness and covers their political crap, their family stuff etc, and what not. eh?

Thoughts?

Replies

• DetroitDarin
    DetroitDarin Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    people want popularity because if other people like them, they are worth-liking. :-/

I've not watched GoT - is it good?
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    people want popularity because if other people like them, they are worth-liking. :-/

I've not watched GoT - is it good?

It's excellent! The books are great, too - just very, very long.

I confess that while I was losing weight I posted progress photos on Facebook. These photos actually inspired a bunch of women I know to lose weight and adopt healthier lifestyles. But I also confess that one of the reasons I did it was because I was getting tired of seeing everyone's bragging posts and needed to put something up there to show people that I was doing something positive, too. After years seeing everyone post about their beautiful families, awesome boyfriends, epic tropical vacations and 'checking in' at all these cool places was starting to really get on my nerves.
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    I'm too lazy to log my workouts...guess I'm only 50% narcissist. I also find it funny how shows like criminal minds made the word Narcissist a household word.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    I'd say I'm slightly narcissistic...I do value positive feedback, and tend to talk about my workouts and nutrition ad nauseum (at home). But I hate FB, ditched it over a year ago and never looked back (only to get drawn into the dark world of MFP soon after!)...so maybe I'm only 60% narcissist. Dunno, I'll post this on my wall and see if all my gorgeous, fit MFP friends agree with me( they better! )
  • tashantx
    tashantx Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I'd say I'm slightly narcissistic...I do value positive feedback, and tend to talk about my workouts and nutrition ad nauseum (at home). But I hate FB, ditched it over a year ago and never looked back (only to get drawn into the dark world of MFP soon after!)...so maybe I'm only 60% narcissist. Dunno, I'll post this on my wall and see if all my gorgeous, fit MFP friends agree with me( they better! )

I think I love you.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    tashantx wrote: »
    For me personally it is mostly to inspire other people but I'm not going to lie and say I don't enjoy the positive attention . Narcissist is a bit much I do agree attention wh0re is a much better term. I post a lot of pics of myself because I felt disgusting for a really long time and I am Uber proud of my accomplishments. It's gonna get old fast for most people , then I'll just start complaining about all my "haters" and make endless posts about that. Hahaha

You must make those haters so jealous, you are gorgeous!
  • moonchildisme
    moonchildisme Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I do not post anything about working out on FB. Hell it took me months to post a selfie after I lose over 100 lbs. That's what this site is for....I guess I just like keeping them separate.
  • tashantx
    tashantx Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    tashantx wrote: »
    For me personally it is mostly to inspire other people but I'm not going to lie and say I don't enjoy the positive attention . Narcissist is a bit much I do agree attention wh0re is a much better term. I post a lot of pics of myself because I felt disgusting for a really long time and I am Uber proud of my accomplishments. It's gonna get old fast for most people , then I'll just start complaining about all my "haters" and make endless posts about that. Hahaha

You must make those haters so jealous, you are gorgeous!

Careful you are feeding my narcissism! Lol
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    I do think some people post it just to have the accountability but I am sure many post just for the validation. I've commented on a couple of friends posts regarding their runs asking stuff about them because I kind of want to run and I know they do races so I'd be interested in doing some with them but they never really reply so clearly they just want people to say OMG you're awesome.

FB can be annoying. I just use it for skating recruiting and posting silly things my boy does and of course pictures of adventures. Gotta make people believe I'm an awesome mom instead of sitting on my butt like I am now
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I don't post a lot on FB now, but I used to post more and one reason was when I was getting back in to shape after having a baby. I posted about two things mainly, the cute baby, and kicking *kitten* in the gym. Those were pretty much the center of my life at that time, and isn't that what FB is for? Sharing parts of your life with your friends? After I got to my goal weight and started loosening the slack, I stopped posting as much. Then I started hearing about how others never wanted to see work out posts from their friends because that just means they're bragging. Also I learned people with out children don't want to see posts about people's children. So now I rarely post anything because apparently two of my main life interests are annoying to others.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    Options
    Best thing about FB....................I get to jab jokes at family and friends. Oh and watch how everyone is politically involved in their candidate when they really have no idea that neither of them are qualified to run a household, much less a country.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png