People who post their fitness stuff on FB, etc, have mental issues

Options

Replies

• melmelw03
    melmelw03 Posts: 5,332 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

But I hate people who write novels about how awesome their spouse is. That's the first sign of insecurity if you write 3 paragraphs about how much your "baby" means to you and you throw it out there before 300 people.

It also makes me uncomfortable when I see a friend who is in a new relationship, and their bf/gf tags them in every frickin post and it's "babe" this and "sweets" that. Maybe I'm cynical and unromantic, but it kind of turns my stomach. Also, I know in about 6 months the relationship status will change and you will no longer think his kids are "super adorable and awesome".
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    ive literally never posted once about the over 100 pounds of weight i have lost on facebook

its actually probably a little weird that i havent

i just dont care
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I stopped using Facebook when I graduated college because it had evolved from being a way for me to stay in touch with my friends to a platform where people try to sculpt their lives to look as perfect as possible. [/b]Because everyone's friends' lists had started including coworkers, last week's hookup, and that person they met at Coachella 3 years ago and never talked to again, no one was "real" anymore.

Still, I don't think it's always narcissistic to enjoy being praised, and social media makes it really easy to get compliments. And I gotta admit, I started posting on MFP a lot more when the Like/Awesome buttons appeared. Internet validation can really make you feel better some days.

OMG this, too!! I started using Facebook when I moved back to my hometown in hopes of re-connecting with old friends, etc. Now I find it tedious because people are trying to convince themselves and the world that their lives are just so perfect

@Cutaway_Collar - I know a man who's Facebook was loaded with pics of "date night with the wife" and all the while he's was having a long-term affair with someone.

I often see people talk about people posting things that are only positive like they are trying to portray a "perfect" life. But on the other hand, nothing gets slammed more than someone who posts negative posts on Facebook.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I don't post a lot on FB now, but I used to post more and one reason was when I was getting back in to shape after having a baby. I posted about two things mainly, the cute baby, and kicking *kitten* in the gym. Those were pretty much the center of my life at that time, and isn't that what FB is for? Sharing parts of your life with your friends? After I got to my goal weight and started loosening the slack, I stopped posting as much. Then I started hearing about how others never wanted to see work out posts from their friends because that just means they're bragging. Also I learned people with out children don't want to see posts about people's children. So now I rarely post anything because apparently two of my main life interests are annoying to others.

I find this so disappointing. I hear so many people complain about baby, relationship, or fitness posts and I dont understand why you would be upset about seeing these things. Maybe it's that I don't keep 100s of friends, so when I see a post it's by someone I genuinely like, but I love seeing updates on my friends' lives. Facebook is your page to share anything of your choosing, and I can't recall every being annoyed that someone posted a topic too often.

I've certainly made jokes about friends who post a selfie everyday (we are all very aware what you look like darling, we dont need a daily update, but you do you), but the only time posts ever upset me is if I am tagged in something I would deem "unprofessional" or repeat offenders who tag my exact location with them (only because I've been actively stalked in the past and try to minimize risk now).

I feel like, if posting frequently on facebook about your workouts makes you a narcissist, we should also consider whether or not the people who get UPSET about seeing these posts may also be displaying narcissistic tendencies. As in, if recognizing someones achievements and dedication makes you uncomfortable, what does that say about your own ego?

*For the record, I dont post about my workouts, I dont enjoy the "but you're already so skinny" comments that come with them, and I do NOT look cute after a workout...
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I don't do it, I don't see anything wrong with it. I think there is a bit of narcissism involved in putting yourself first and doing what is needed to be healthy and I don't think it is really a bad thing. I would rather have a friend who is a little narcissistic than one who is self hating. However, a little goes a long way.
  • DetroitDarin
    DetroitDarin Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    People want to be special; to receive praise. We want to be standing-out among our peers. just how it is.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    My facebook posts are often hilarious and people tend to think I am entertaining. I don't post bragging updates but rather my take on world issues and general things with a touch of humour.

But I hate people who write novels about how awesome their spouse is. That's the first sign of insecurity if you write 3 paragraphs about how much your "baby" means to you and you throw it out there before 300 people.

Actually this is a sign, that the relationship's failing because why'd someone spend that time entertaining people on a website, concerning their relationship; when they should be spending that time with their SO instead? It just reeks of reverse psychology.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I use an app for cycling that I allow to post to FB when I've completed a ride...all it says is that I completed a ride and it was X long and completed in Y amount of time...I used to be fat and lazy and sedentary and I know that my ride posts have inspired other friends and family to get more active.

Personally, I'm not one of those people that just has a bunch of random FB friends...pretty much everyone on my FB are actual friends and family and it's one of the ways that we share the goings on in our lives...I have a lot of family and friends living abroad and in other states and they love the fact that I regularly post pictures of my kids, etc...it's an easy way to stay in touch and share what's going on.

The political stuff is annoying and I don't really know anyone on FB who is posting a bunch of personal issues.

I reserve my Facebook for those that I know currently, knew previously & would like to get to know offline only. I've only posted 1 political thing, I only have 3 friends & I don't send friend requests, unless someone asks me to & I'd like to oblige. I haven't posted anything about my nutrition/fitness accomplishments because they aren't significant milestones yet.
  • TheChrissyT
    TheChrissyT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I think some level of narcissism is good for you. Maybe that means I'm a narcissist and validating myself. lol I just like watching people be proud of themselves, proud of their families, proud of their relationships, proud of their dogs... idk. It's facebook, I take it at face value. More like someone making an online highlight reel of whatever it is that they care about. My facebook is mostly mom stuff. Pictures of my kids, posts about what they're doing, jokes about how much I have to drink to deal with little humans... but I have started talking SOME about my achievements in weight loss and active things I do, because I care about those too.
  • gillie80
    gillie80 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    synchkat wrote: »
    My facebook posts are often hilarious and people tend to think I am entertaining. I don't post bragging updates but rather my take on world issues and general things with a touch of humour.

OMG @Cutaway_Collar I couldn't agree more. Especially when the post ends with "share this if you love your husband!" And now most of Facebook consists of people asking you to copy & paste things into your status. Like, why? Just WHY???!!

see, now I'm getting mad :/

omg those annoy me too. Share this if you support people with MS or Cancer. Um no I don't need to do that I support my loved ones my way

ok I'm getting mad too

yup i'm the same. a lot of these 'comment if...' are scams anyway, i stay well way from them. the ones that really get my goat are the ones that say "if you don't share this in 2 nanoseconds you'll burn in the fiery pits of hell" or something slightly less dramatic lol. no, i'm not going to share for the fear of having 7 years bad luck, or of one of my arms falling off!!

see, getting angry now too!!
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    gillie80 wrote: »

OMG @Cutaway_Collar I couldn't agree more. Especially when the post ends with "share this if you love your husband!" And now most of Facebook consists of people asking you to copy & paste things into your status. Like, why? Just WHY???!!

omg those annoy me too. Share this if you support people with MS or Cancer. Um no I don't need to do that I support my loved ones my way

ok I'm getting mad too

yup i'm the same. a lot of these 'comment if...' are scams anyway, i stay well way from them. the ones that really get my goat are the ones that say "if you don't share this in 2 nanoseconds you'll burn in the fiery pits of hell" or something slightly less dramatic lol. no, i'm not going to share for the fear of having 7 years bad luck, or of one of my arms falling off!!

These "Share this if you hate cancer" Facebook posts are really similar to the chain-emails I used to get in the 90's. You know the ones? The ones that said that if you didn't forward this email to 10 people you were going to die a slow, miserable, lonely, painful, death...
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    gillie80 wrote: »

ok I'm getting mad too

These "Share this if you hate cancer" Facebook posts are really similar to the chain-emails I used to get in the 90's. You know the ones? The ones that said that if you didn't forward this email to 10 people you were going to die a slow, miserable, lonely, painful, death...

Only they're worse, because people feel like they deserve a pat on the back for "standing up against cancer" when all they did was reshare a post. They didn't donate money for research, volunteer in a cancer ward, join a research study... But man, they hate cancer!
  • suvoth
    suvoth Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    I post my route and how many km's i've done and stuff but I don't think I'm egotistical or anything. My family is currently trying to lose weight too and they are encouraged to walk more when I do. I also hope (secretly) that my friends will want to join me for a walk one of these days. I don't see anything wrong with trying to get your friends and family to be a bit healthier imo. I dunno. I mean, I think I'm an average girl just trying to lose some weight, get fit and encourage others (which I have).
  • rosebudbutterfly
    rosebudbutterfly Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    SO says

http://www.businessinsider.de/people-who-post-their-fitness-routine-to-facebook-have-psychological-problems-study-claims-2016-8?IR=T
    People who are always keen on documenting their gym activities (or every time you simply go for a good, old-fashioned run) tend to be narcissists. According to the researchers, the primary goal is to boast about how much time you invest in your looks. Apparently these status updates also earn more Facebook likes than other kinds of posts.

"Narcissists more frequently updated about their achievements, which was motivated by their need for attention and validation from the Facebook community", the study concludes. The high number of likes doesn't necessarily mean everyone loves seeing those bragging posts, though. Dr Tara Marshal goes on saying, that "although our results suggest that narcissists' bragging pays off because they receive more likes and comments to their status updates, it could be that their Facebook friends politely offer support while secretly disliking such egotistical displays."

I get it. And I believe it - but it's more than just fitness stuff. Transcends fitness and covers their political crap, their family stuff etc, and what not. eh?

Thoughts?

• rosebudbutterfly
    rosebudbutterfly Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm guilty of posting my workouts. I'm doing it because I like to do it. It's not about people liking me. I'm proud of myself. I've come a long way from where I started. Besides I do receive more positive feed back than negative. If it's getting on other people nerves that's not my plan or my problem. Some people will always have issue with whatever you do. So do what makes you happy, as long you are not causing physical harm to anybody. You will be a very unhappy person if you try to please everybody. Because you can never please everybody but you can piss everybody off.
  • PoisonDartFrog
    PoisonDartFrog Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    MFP lets you cross post to FB. Everything I post here on my home page also posts to my FB page. I am far from a Narcissist. (How can I be when I weigh over 200#s?). But my FB friends are people I truly know and am using it as an accountability forum.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I don't post anything fitness related on FB. Maybe if I ran a race I would... but nobody cares about my workouts! I have one friend I can talk to about that stuff.. the others don't care.

The ones that post about it.. yeah some are narcissist for sure, but others are just really into the 'being fit' thing and do have friends who relate.. so whatever. I just ignore or unfriend people who annoy me.
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    Options
    I don't post a lot on FB now, but I used to post more and one reason was when I was getting back in to shape after having a baby. I posted about two things mainly, the cute baby, and kicking *kitten* in the gym. Those were pretty much the center of my life at that time, and isn't that what FB is for? Sharing parts of your life with your friends? After I got to my goal weight and started loosening the slack, I stopped posting as much. Then I started hearing about how others never wanted to see work out posts from their friends because that just means they're bragging. Also I learned people with out children don't want to see posts about people's children. So now I rarely post anything because apparently two of my main life interests are annoying to others.

I find this so disappointing. I hear so many people complain about baby, relationship, or fitness posts and I dont understand why you would be upset about seeing these things. Maybe it's that I don't keep 100s of friends, so when I see a post it's by someone I genuinely like, but I love seeing updates on my friends' lives. Facebook is your page to share anything of your choosing, and I can't recall every being annoyed that someone posted a topic too often.

I've certainly made jokes about friends who post a selfie everyday (we are all very aware what you look like darling, we dont need a daily update, but you do you), but the only time posts ever upset me is if I am tagged in something I would deem "unprofessional" or repeat offenders who tag my exact location with them (only because I've been actively stalked in the past and try to minimize risk now).

I feel like, if posting frequently on facebook about your workouts makes you a narcissist, we should also consider whether or not the people who get UPSET about seeing these posts may also be displaying narcissistic tendencies. As in, if recognizing someones achievements and dedication makes you uncomfortable, what does that say about your own ego?

*For the record, I dont post about my workouts, I dont enjoy the "but you're already so skinny" comments that come with them, and I do NOT look cute after a workout...

So I'm right there with you. I enjoy seeing people graduate, get married, have kids, etc.

I went to a medical school graduation ceremony for one of my friends - she said you would have thought I was getting the degree by the noises I was making.

I guess it's because I believe that God has MY best life for ME. It's not someone elses life I'm supposed to be living but my own.

That said, when I see a woman at the gym with a very small waist to hip ratio and round butt, I kind of sigh. Good for you girl.

So realize that new baby photos might be painful to someone struggling with fertility issues, or relationship photos might be hard to take for someone struggling with loneliness, whether they are in a relationship themselves.

Facebook is a place for lifestyle competitiveness, among other things. I do not engage, but that's because I worked in big data and don't trust facebook at all.
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    Options
    My top 5 FB pet peeves:

5. Fitness freaks. I don't give a duck-billed platypus *kitten* if you do a 5K or squat 300 lbs and you stopped in the middle of your workout to post a zoolander selfie. You look creepy in your workout outfit.
    4. Lefties or righties. Get off your *kitten* and work hard to take care of yourself. Your fave politician is not gonna save you or pay your mortgage. So spare me the propaganda.
    3. Religious nuts. I am a very religious catholic but the Bible thumping is something I cannot stand.
    2. Moms. Some of your kids are ugly and I don't find them cute. Adoption mommies are worse. Just sign off and do real mommy duties, this isn't a reality show.
    1. Sappy boyfriends, girlfriends, husbands and wives. You just suck. Congratulations, you just exposed your insecurities.

:)

So basically everybody.

Except fashionistas. They are all right in your book, huh?

:D

Let me add: people who post their every movement. You on the way to pick up groceries? Don't care. Had a sandwich for lunch? Still don't care. Watching a tv show, care even less than what you had for lunch. Wondering if you should buy new socks because the one you are wearing had a hole in it and you had to post a pic of it? Arrghhhhhh.

Please, the highlights reel is much more preferable than minutia.