People who post their fitness stuff on FB, etc, have mental issues

Options

Replies

• AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    My facebook posts are often hilarious and people tend to think I am entertaining. I don't post bragging updates but rather my take on world issues and general things with a touch of humour.

But I hate people who write novels about how awesome their spouse is. That's the first sign of insecurity if you write 3 paragraphs about how much your "baby" means to you and you throw it out there before 300 people.

OMG @Cutaway_Collar I couldn't agree more. Especially when the post ends with "share this if you love your husband!" And now most of Facebook consists of people asking you to copy & paste things into your status. Like, why? Just WHY???!!

see, now I'm getting mad :/
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,368 Member
    Options
    My facebook posts are often hilarious and people tend to think I am entertaining. I don't post bragging updates but rather my take on world issues and general things with a touch of humour.

But I hate people who write novels about how awesome their spouse is. That's the first sign of insecurity if you write 3 paragraphs about how much your "baby" means to you and you throw it out there before 300 people.

OMG @Cutaway_Collar I couldn't agree more. Especially when the post ends with "share this if you love your husband!" And now most of Facebook consists of people asking you to copy & paste things into your status. Like, why? Just WHY???!!

see, now I'm getting mad :/

omg those annoy me too. Share this if you support people with MS or Cancer. Um no I don't need to do that I support my loved ones my way

ok I'm getting mad too
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I use an app for cycling that I allow to post to FB when I've completed a ride...all it says is that I completed a ride and it was X long and completed in Y amount of time...I used to be fat and lazy and sedentary and I know that my ride posts have inspired other friends and family to get more active.

Personally, I'm not one of those people that just has a bunch of random FB friends...pretty much everyone on my FB are actual friends and family and it's one of the ways that we share the goings on in our lives...I have a lot of family and friends living abroad and in other states and they love the fact that I regularly post pictures of my kids, etc...it's an easy way to stay in touch and share what's going on.

The political stuff is annoying and I don't really know anyone on FB who is posting a bunch of personal issues.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I stopped using Facebook when I graduated college because it had evolved from being a way for me to stay in touch with my friends to a platform where people try to sculpt their lives to look as perfect as possible. Because everyone's friends' lists had started including coworkers, last week's hookup, and that person they met at Coachella 3 years ago and never talked to again, no one was "real" anymore.

Still, I don't think it's always narcissistic to enjoy being praised, and social media makes it really easy to get compliments. And I gotta admit, I started posting on MFP a lot more when the Like/Awesome buttons appeared. Internet validation can really make you feel better some days.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options
    I stopped using Facebook when I graduated college because it had evolved from being a way for me to stay in touch with my friends to a platform where people try to sculpt their lives to look as perfect as possible. [/b]Because everyone's friends' lists had started including coworkers, last week's hookup, and that person they met at Coachella 3 years ago and never talked to again, no one was "real" anymore.

Still, I don't think it's always narcissistic to enjoy being praised, and social media makes it really easy to get compliments. And I gotta admit, I started posting on MFP a lot more when the Like/Awesome buttons appeared. Internet validation can really make you feel better some days.

OMG this, too!! I started using Facebook when I moved back to my hometown in hopes of re-connecting with old friends, etc. Now I find it tedious because people are trying to convince themselves and the world that their lives are just so perfect

@Cutaway_Collar - I know a man who's Facebook was loaded with pics of "date night with the wife" and all the while he's was having a long-term affair with someone.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options
    It's almost like people think that their life isn't real if it's not posted on Facebook.
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options

Having watched you here on this site I can absolutely see that being true. You are also entertaining here.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    I stopped using Facebook when I graduated college because it had evolved from being a way for me to stay in touch with my friends to a platform where people try to sculpt their lives to look as perfect as possible. [/b]Because everyone's friends' lists had started including coworkers, last week's hookup, and that person they met at Coachella 3 years ago and never talked to again, no one was "real" anymore.

OMG this, too!! I started using Facebook when I moved back to my hometown in hopes of re-connecting with old friends, etc. Now I find it tedious because people are trying to convince themselves and the world that their lives are just so perfect

@Cutaway_Collar - I know a man who's Facebook was loaded with pics of "date night with the wife" and all the while he's was having a long-term affair with someone.
    That's terrific. It only proves the theory then. I also like how kessler said they are scripting their life. Completely agreed. They only say positive things. But I actually have to say some couples also fight publicly which provides good entertainment.

The real drawback of all this is it creates peer pressure. My wife has asked me a few times why my engagement was so low key compared to that coworker's. I showed up at her apartment with a ring at around 9:30pm. No cameras flashed, no videos, no fanfare. That guy... He assembled friends and family in a restaurant and before 50 people and other strangers... He pops the question and video went up on FB within an hour. My wife watched it a few times and got jealous.

My wife didn't make a big deal but she has fretted in the past that I didn't do enough. I snapped her out of the thought. But the very fact that such guys cause issues for others is unfortunate. Some mothers make other mothers feel lacking. Rich guys make poor guys feel like *kitten* when they post bills on the date night. Yes, some guys do that. It's the state of the world and the only comfort we can feel is that the braggers actually feel "hollow" inside and they know it and they also know and fear others may know it too.

UGH Facebook engagements. T and I got engaged while we were laying on the couch talking about the future. He asked me to marry him, I said yes. There was no ring, no hidden photographer, no group of people waiting to celebrate with us. Logically, I realize this was perfect - two adults making a decision about wanting to share their lives together without any emotional pressure from other people. But when people started asking me how he asked and I couldn't give them some big story or direct them to Facebook for the photos, it felt crappy. I know some brides-to-be on my wedding forum felt like they were disappointments or failures for not being able to afford a big, elaborate wedding. I think Facebook has made all the engagement/wedding competition and expectations waaaaaay worse.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    In short, people who post about themselves constantly are probably somewhat narcissistic. A conclusion no one could have come to without research.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Let's be real for a second.
    If one isn't using FB to share the various aspects of their life (be it fitness, politics, music, etc.), then what is even the point of it existing? Do we really need more "ZOMG LOOK WHAT BEIBER AND THE KARDASHIANS DID THIS WEEKEND" posts?
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    how do you have a "rough start" in internet forums ...lol when you start taking things personally from people whom you don't even know its time to power down or reboot.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options

That's terrific. It only proves the theory then. I also like how kessler said they are scripting their life. Completely agreed. They only say positive things. But I actually have to say some couples also fight publicly which provides good entertainment.

The real drawback of all this is it creates peer pressure. My wife has asked me a few times why my engagement was so low key compared to that coworker's. I showed up at her apartment with a ring at around 9:30pm. No cameras flashed, no videos, no fanfare. That guy... He assembled friends and family in a restaurant and before 50 people and other strangers... He pops the question and video went up on FB within an hour. My wife watched it a few times and got jealous.

My wife didn't make a big deal but she has fretted in the past that I didn't do enough. I snapped her out of the thought. But the very fact that such guys cause issues for others is unfortunate. Some mothers make other mothers feel lacking. Rich guys make poor guys feel like *kitten* when they post bills on the date night. Yes, some guys do that. It's the state of the world and the only comfort we can feel is that the braggers actually feel "hollow" inside and they know it and they also know and fear others may know it too.

UGH Facebook engagements. T and I got engaged while we were laying on the couch talking about the future. He asked me to marry him, I said yes. There was no ring, no hidden photographer, no group of people waiting to celebrate with us. Logically, I realize this was perfect - two adults making a decision about wanting to share their lives together without any emotional pressure from other people. But when people started asking me how he asked and I couldn't give them some big story or direct them to Facebook for the photos, it felt crappy. I know some brides-to-be on my wedding forum felt like they were disappointments or failures for not being able to afford a big, elaborate wedding. I think Facebook has made all the engagement/wedding competition and expectations waaaaaay worse.

Well, a girl I went to high school with 'married well'. When she got engaged there were these professional engagement photos (from a 'photo shoot' in Central Park) she posted on Facebook. Her expensive, elaborate wedding photos and of course, all the honeymoon photos of their tour to Europe.

Fast forward 2 years and she switched back to her maiden name and all those magical photos have vanished from Facebook.

So maybe there's something to be said for quiet engagements...
  • sfcrocker
    sfcrocker Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    This is the forum for posting that kind of stuff, not to brag but to keep myself in check. Now that I know people are watching, even if it's just strangers, I think twice before stuffing a donut in my face :smile: and, on a day like yesterday when I didn't feel like exercising, thinking about the small validation of seeing "sfcrocker walked 4 miles ..." made me at least go out and do something. It's also encouraging to see what other people are going through and the changes people are trying to make.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options

Well, a girl I went to high school with 'married well'. When she got engaged there were these professional engagement photos (from a 'photo shoot' in Central Park) she posted on Facebook. Her expensive, elaborate wedding photos and of course, all the honeymoon photos of their tour to Europe.

Fast forward 2 years and she switched back to her maiden name and all those magical photos have vanished from Facebook.

Good grief, I run into engagement photo shoots in grand central of all places. I have seen four wedding photo shoots this year alone. These people have serious issues. When you try to hold up running commuters during peak hours.... And you are standing in the middle with a wedding outfit, yikes!!

Wait...in Grand Central? Seriously? WTF!

Weddings, in general, have gotten to an all time out of control-ness. But we'll save that for another post :wink:
  • benmullins4
    benmullins4 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    @Cutaway_Collar - I actually don't harbor anything. I don't take anything personally, nor do I dislike you personally. I enjoy a debate, I just may sound more like Trump while I deliver my message, than an actual politician.
    My responses and posts serve as nothing more than entertainment. Usually for myself. Although I did have a response in the relationship question post that was genuine...
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options

Good grief, I run into engagement photo shoots in grand central of all places. I have seen four wedding photo shoots this year alone. These people have serious issues. When you try to hold up running commuters during peak hours.... And you are standing in the middle with a wedding outfit, yikes!!

Wait...in Grand Central? Seriously? WTF!

Weddings, in general, have gotten to an all time out of control-ness. But we'll save that for another post :wink:
    Poor choice.

Commuters are nasty and they don't given an eff if it's your wedding and they present their coldest of shoulders asking you to get out of the way... Last thing anyone would want when a photographer records your wedding poses is an angry commuter giving you the finger or screaming at you. I felt bad for the bridesmaids and groomsmen.

Agreeing to be in someone's wedding is a little like selling your soul.... lolololol