People who post their fitness stuff on FB, etc, have mental issues

Options

Replies

• MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    Facebook is still growing? i'm sure i heard it was all bots or people were leaving. I owned an account for all of a month before it was creepy.

I have a twitter for news & sport. I dont feel the need to document everything else, especially stuff i dont want people knowing i do! :joy:
  • MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    ^that's actually a fair point, well made.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    My top 5 FB pet peeves:

5. Fitness freaks. I don't give a duck-billed platypus *kitten* if you do a 5K or squat 300 lbs and you stopped in the middle of your workout to post a zoolander selfie. You look creepy in your workout outfit.
    4. Lefties or righties. Get off your *kitten* and work hard to take care of yourself. Your fave politician is not gonna save you or pay your mortgage. So spare me the propaganda.
    3. Religious nuts. I am a very religious catholic but the Bible thumping is something I cannot stand.
    2. Moms. Some of your kids are ugly and I don't find them cute. Adoption mommies are worse. Just sign off and do real mommy duties, this isn't a reality show.
    1. Sappy boyfriends, girlfriends, husbands and wives. You just suck. Congratulations, you just exposed your insecurities.

:)

Heh, sounds like my list..only thing missing is the drama queens.
    I also find that the people who constantly post "inspiring" quotes are usually the least inspiring people I know.
    So this is all why I avoid too much FB.

Well, except for the Joe Biden memes. I was in for those for awhile. This new trend of "Tag 'insert person''s name here", and has some awful picture attached to it, is just disturbing.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I kind of like it as an accountability tool. Like, if announce to all of facebook I'm going to lose weight, then they all heard me say that so I better follow through! When I started running I posted about it a fair amount because it was consuming a considerable amount of my time and I mean... it's MY social media page. I'm posting about what I'm up to and at the time it was running. Now I post one or two videos of photos from my aerial classes each week. Am I showing off? Maybe a little. But I've also been working really hard and I enjoy documenting my progress. Aerial is my hobby right now, why should I not post about it?
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Can bragging about other things count? If so...I know someone who does that all the time and it gets so old. I just want to ask them if they'd like a pat on the back.......with a sledgehammer.
  • tracykreczmer
    tracykreczmer Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I did it at first but mostly about my weight loss.. See when u are older losing weight is hard. I don't any more but my weight has been a huge struggle and I needed my friends help. I don't think that's narcissistic.. In fact one friends transformation inspired me. Why is being good to our bodies bad yet posting u got wasted ok.. Ps isn't fb for us oldies now.. Now reading the comments.. Did I miss the point entirely..
  • fastingrabbit
    fastingrabbit Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I look at it this way. If you overpost on one subject, you are so insecure because other areas of your life aren't as colourful and you know it.

FB posts should cover a wide range of topics about you and everyone else. That is the first sign of good mental and emotional health.

There are fitness guys and girls on my wall. I hid them long time ago. I am a gym addict too but it takes emotional maturity to understand and get that nobody give a *kitten* at the end of the day and you are annoying a bunch of folks ;)

This is too much of a leap. Overposting on one subject = insecurity? Some people like to write about one particular topic (let's say a favorite type of entertainment or food or hobby) and others like to write about several things. That does not mean that they lack mental or emotional health. That's illogical.

(And I have never seen someone write that their own writing is hilarious.)
    Whether you like it or not, fitness is a divisive topic. You probably don't know this but many have already hidden you.

I don't follow your meaning.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I'd like people to just not post 5+ of whatever they are into every single day.
    Politics, coffee, religion, exercise, kids, cats... just reign it in people. Are you mentally ill for telling everyone how much you love coffee and cats multiple times a day? Probably.
    At least fitness posts you have actually done something but still keep it to once a day.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,621 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't see how it's any different than what people do everyday even if they didn't have FB. When I sold door to door for 12 years, the first and foremost thing to do was to create a rapport with the buyer. You let them tell you about them. And this could go on for a long long time sometimes.
    People like to be acknowledged. Some need it more than others. Narcissists basically won't bother to answer back to others posts on FB unless they are congratulating them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I don't get the Facebook thing or anyone who puts themselves on that site. Everyone complains about it but everyone's on it, checking in every day.

It's like saying I Hate Starbucks Coffee. It's So Bitter Tasting And Expensive And The Lines There Are So Long. Good Thing I Took That Second Job So I Can Afford To Go There Every Day For Coffee.

0mer0ykx5xlm.jpg
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Honestly, I don't see how it's any different than what people do everyday even if they didn't have FB. When I sold door to door for 12 years, the first and foremost thing to do was to create a rapport with the buyer. You let them tell you about them. And this could go on for a long long time sometimes.
    People like to be acknowledged. Some need it more than others. Narcissists basically won't bother to answer back to others posts on FB unless they are congratulating them.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You are biased toward listening to drivel because of your profession.

g4199zx84xsi.jpg
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I post once in a blue moon on Facebook. I haven't even posted a new profile photo in almost 2 years. I rarely take "selfies".

I don't think everyone who posts frequently is narcissistic though. I know people who live very far away from their family and friends and use Facebook as a means of sharing easily with those people. Maybe if someone is trying to meet a goal they post when they need support or want to give an update. The narcissists are easy to spot though and they do make up the greater Facebook majority, but not just Facebook. Other social networking sites also. They comment in regards to themselves on friends posts, they always post bashing others while in the same post elevating them self, they will talk about a hair cut all week then post massive haircut photos saying how awful it is and naturally everyone comes in to lift up their ego telling them how beautiful or handsome it is etc.... There is nothing "wrong" with wanting to feel liked or attractive. But some folks really do struggle with needing that a lot more than others.

I have a lot of sympathy for these folks. I don't hold a very high opinion about my self so I know how feeling bad goes. If someone feels so badly about their self that they must maintain this kind of intensity they obviously are struggling inside. They need to seek approval and to feel liked maybe because they don't like themselves very much, or maybe they are in a relationship where their needs aren't being met. The good feelings of the like count and comments do wear off so they need to go back for more with another selfie, or status update etc....

I think we are hungry for meaningful human interaction and yet no one seems to want to rebuild that in their own life. We used to be able to just call people, stop by for a visit, or get together for coffee or a morning or afternoon walk with a friend. These days we can't do that like we used to. At least not with most people. These relationships helped us all feel worthwhile, liked and even loved. We had a sense of being important in someone's life. We felt needed. Slowly all that has crumbled away with the social media take over. A place in which we are all competing for likes, comments and reactions. If no one likes, comments or reacts we feel ignored and neglected and sad. And a lot of people just don't want to socialize or interact outside of social media. We are left with an empty feeling society.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,621 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You are biased toward listening to drivel because of your profession.

g4199zx84xsi.jpg
    Ahahaha! I've heard so many personal stories from clients that they tell me they've never mentioned or told to anyone else. Even have been asked on advice on divorce, relationships and whether they should cheat or not. My answer is usually the same............"what do you really think?"

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I post once in a blue moon on Facebook. I haven't even posted a new profile photo in almost 2 years. I rarely take "selfies".

I don't think everyone who posts frequently is narcissistic though. I know people who live very far away from their family and friends and use Facebook as a means of sharing easily with those people. Maybe if someone is trying to meet a goal they post when they need support or want to give an update. The narcissists are easy to spot though and they do make up the greater Facebook majority, but not just Facebook. Other social networking sites also. They comment in regards to themselves on friends posts, they always post bashing others while in the same post elevating them self, they will talk about a hair cut all week then post massive haircut photos saying how awful it is and naturally everyone comes in to lift up their ego telling them how beautiful or handsome it is etc.... There is nothing "wrong" with wanting to feel liked or attractive. But some folks really do struggle with needing that a lot more than others.

I have a lot of sympathy for these folks. I don't hold a very high opinion about my self so I know how feeling bad goes. If someone feels so badly about their self that they must maintain this kind of intensity they obviously are struggling inside. They need to seek approval and to feel liked maybe because they don't like themselves very much, or maybe they are in a relationship where their needs aren't being met. The good feelings of the like count and comments do wear off so they need to go back for more with another selfie, or status update etc....

I think we are hungry for meaningful human interaction and yet no one seems to want to rebuild that in their own life. We used to be able to just call people, stop by for a visit, or get together for coffee or a morning or afternoon walk with a friend. These days we can't do that like we used to. At least not with most people. These relationships helped us all feel worthwhile, liked and even loved. We had a sense of being important in someone's life. We felt needed. Slowly all that has crumbled away with the social media take over. A place in which we are all competing for likes, comments and reactions. If no one likes, comments or reacts we feel ignored and neglected and sad. And a lot of people just don't want to socialize or interact outside of social media. We are left with an empty feeling society.

I only have one narcissistic facebook friend. They are like that outside of facebook though with everything. I have known her for over 17 years and this all predates facebook and social media. It is different from others just posting a lot on Facebook. Anything you say to that person online or IRL they turn around and make it about them. Anything.
    I suppose it is sad they feel compelled to do that but it is hard to feel sorry for them.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »

I only have one narcissistic facebook friend. They are like that outside of facebook though with everything. I have known her for over 17 years and this all predates facebook and social media. It is different from others just posting a lot on Facebook. Anything you say to that person online or IRL they turn around and make it about them. Anything.
    I suppose it is sad they feel compelled to do that but it is hard to feel sorry for them.

Oh yeah. I know a few of those too. They were always that way and social media only gave them room to flourish in their self absorbed ways. Then there's those who never were that way, or at least never seemed to be that way who definitely turned out to be that way. No matter, I don't like to know that anyone struggles with feeling worth while. And I do believe there are two different types, the ones who truly feel superior and they show it, and the ones who feel inferior and there fore seek attention, no matter what kind of attention it is.
  • KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I post what I want and don't care if people like it or not. I have like...29 friends on fb and I could honestly delete all but 3 of them. I hid or deleted the ones that were annoying. I rarely post anymore but I use it as a place to store my pictures bc it's free and I'm broke. BUT what would you ever post about if you weren't bragging or complaining? Fb is what those people are like in real life anyway. I hear just as much complaining about other people, bragging about their family and love life, fitness, and upcoming major events in every day conversation as well. Nothing new. If you hate the every day of average people then maybe social media isn't for you. You'd have to, at some level, want attention to post about anything at all.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    Some narcissists I don't believe, even know; that they're but the worst 1's're the 1's, that do know because they try to be coy concerning it, by trying not; to be stereotypical! However because being coy's just another way to lie, they like everyone else; whom lies slip & eventually accidentally, reveal their true selves!
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,034 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    synchkat wrote: »
    I never understand the Facebook hate. I just unfollow those who annoy me like my cousins. I use it to promote my skating team and keep in touch with friends across the country and around the world. They like to see pictures of the adventures we have and I like to see pictures of their adventures. Maybe I have weird Facebook friends but we actually have lots of fun posting silly pics and will get ridiculous convos happening. I think my friends are just really sarcastic and silly and since we don't get to see each other in real life a lot we socialize there

Oh I also keep track of my neighbours there too.

Yeah, for me it's a good way to stay connected to friends and family who are scattered around the world. I unfollow or unfriend annoying or offensive people, and people I annoy or offend unfollow or unfriend me. I roll my eyes at a friend who posts about every "A" grade she earns in her first class in grad school, but I understand why she's proud, and I'm happy for her. I scroll quickly past obnoxious posts and piss a lot of people off by posting about politics. Oh well. I also use it to share information about events, etc. that may be of interest to people who live near me and to show support for movements, organizations, and businesses I want to succeed. Sometimes I hate it and quit for weeks or months, but I come back eventually. I think we have a fairly healthy relationship.