Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Sügär

There's a study I read that proves sugar more addicting than cocaine, the science is there to prove sugar as something that needs moderation. The research and study of the many outweighs that of the few. Sugar isn't nessisarily bad, it just needs to be watched.

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    are you going to link to the study? Is it a rat model or an actual trial done on humans...
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Oh, and I'm sure people will mostly agree that sugar should be consumed in moderation. Did you think most people here were arguing for unlimited, immoderation consumption of sugar?

Not sure what that has to do with cocaine unless you think we should be moderate in our consumption of that too.

Nothing wrong with a little cocaine every now and then, so long as you don't go on a bender. So huh...yeah, I guess it does kinda work like sugar.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Oh, and I'm sure people will mostly agree that sugar should be consumed in moderation. Did you think most people here were arguing for unlimited, immoderation consumption of sugar?

Not sure what that has to do with cocaine unless you think we should be moderate in our consumption of that too.

Nothing wrong with a little cocaine every now and then, so long as you don't go on a bender. So huh...yeah, I guess it does kinda work like sugar.

Cocaine is way more '80s than sugar.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    RocksoMirrorPort.jpg&w=630&zc=1

Yes. He does cocaine. lol. I love Metalacolypse.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited August 2016
    vingogly wrote: »
    When one withdraws from a substance that's addictive, one goes through withdrawal symptoms. These symptoms are typically the reverse of the effects of the substance; so, for example, when you withdraw from an opiate which dries the mucus membranes and relieves pain, the addict experiences pain and running of the mucus membranes.

So what are the withdrawal symptoms from sugar? I don't believe we covered that in my psychology of addictions class in grad school. :D

Actually, there's a long list of symptoms. Feel free to look up how terrible a lot of people feel for the first couple of weeks, when starting a ketogenic diet. Granted, a lot of this has to do with sudden electrolyte imbalance, but the symptoms are there, and reeeeaaally suck if you don't know how to manage them.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    vingogly wrote: »
    When one withdraws from a substance that's addictive, one goes through withdrawal symptoms. These symptoms are typically the reverse of the effects of the substance; so, for example, when you withdraw from an opiate which dries the mucus membranes and relieves pain, the addict experiences pain and running of the mucus membranes.

So what are the withdrawal symptoms from sugar? I don't believe we covered that in my psychology of addictions class in grad school. :D

I get stabby and cry at the drop of a hat. I also make hate eyes at my boss when he gives me extra work and whine at my husband that "he never listens to meeeeeeeeeee". This goes on until someone shoves a Hershey kiss in my pie hole so there is no end to the withdrawal.
  • Alluminati
    Why the umlauts?

I always wondered what those were called. They sound cute :blush:
  • Alluminati
    Skrillex, is that ü?
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    edited August 2016
    What? :worried:

You mean I need to stop sprinkling sugar on everything I eat?

Is it OK if I continue to clean my teeth with caster sugar? I use the unbleached stuff because it's supposed to be really healthy.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    There's a study I read that proves sugar more addicting than cocaine, the science is there to prove sugar as something that needs moderation. The research and study of the many outweighs that of the few. Sugar isn't nessisarily bad, it just needs to be watched.

You've posted a debate without giving us the context of the study you're referencing. Can you post it here so we can all read it in order to have a more informed discussion? Is it the same one that's been posted, debated, discussed, and debunked to death around here already?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    timeline_1410714889_00032.jpg
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Here we go again, round and round. I'm diabetic. Sugar has a negative effect one me, in more ways than one. The biggest issue is that the more I eat, the more I want to eat. I don't know or care if its psychological or physiological. Don't care, because I have to cut it out either way. That said, I've withdrawn from caffeine and the withdrawal from sugar was no where near the same. I have no experience with cocaine addiction but I highly doubt its even in the same ballpark as withdrawing from sugar. The entire withdrawal from a high carb diet only lasts a week, tops, and the worst part is tolerable. The last ridiculously long "debate" about this basically came down to some like sugar and can tolerate it well, some like it and can't tolerate it, some like it and aren't giving it up no-way no-how, and some could care less about it either way. The bottom line is that those who are counting calories in the attempts to lose weight are most likely going to be cutting way back on sugar, as it is extremely high in calories but not very filling.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Dopamine used to be thought of as the addiction endorphin but it is now considered the anticipation endorphin.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xh6ceu_dopamine-jackpot-sapolsky-on-the-science-of-pleasure_news

To maximize the dopamine response, imagine finishing that chocolate bar AFTER reaching goal weight.