Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Sügär

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    In all fairness meth and heroin addicts teeth don't fall out due to lack of brushing/oral hygiene. It's called meth mouth, incredibly dry mouth constantly and lots of grinding, clenching and teeth gnashing.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    We read stories all the time about sugar addicts, you know all the candy store robberies by addicts needing a fix.

My nephew is in state prison for stealing to support his meth addiction. Sure he'd like to hear how this sugar addiction works.

Would he be in prison if meth were legal and he could buy it cheaply at dozens of stores in every city? Your argument has more to do with availability and legality than addiction.
    Alcohol is. They have programs for recovery. And ask you to abstain for fear of relapse.
    How do you abstain from having any sugar in your diet at all? Don't eat fruits and vegetables? Make sure all meats never have marinades with a hint of sugar for fear of relapse?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

You can't buy alcohol cheaply though. It is rather strongly state controlled in most of the US.
    We read stories all the time about sugar addicts, you know all the candy store robberies by addicts needing a fix.

My nephew is in state prison for stealing to support his meth addiction. Sure he'd like to hear how this sugar addiction works.

Would he be in prison if meth were legal and he could buy it cheaply at dozens of stores in every city? Your argument has more to do with availability and legality than addiction.
    Alcohol is. They have programs for recovery. And ask you to abstain for fear of relapse.
    How do you abstain from having any sugar in your diet at all? Don't eat fruits and vegetables? Make sure all meats never have marinades with a hint of sugar for fear of relapse?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You can't buy alcohol cheaply though. It is rather strongly state controlled in most of the US.

http://food-hacks.wonderhowto.com/how-to/turn-your-favorite-fruit-juice-into-cheap-homemade-booze-0148602/
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    It tastes good some some people keep eating it.

Drugs feel good, so people use more of them. That sounds familiar you know.
    I have yet to see anyone get arrested for stealing/burglary/robbery to fulfill a sugar craving.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Well...

http://metro.co.uk/2014/12/14/260-tonnes-of-chocolate-stolen-in-biggest-robbery-of-its-type-4986837/
  • ouryve
    edited August 2016
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

And this is the real issue. If needs be, we can completely avoid alcohol or nicotine, and most of us definitely avoid hard drugs, but we always have to eat. We can't go on a 12 step program which involves renouncing eating and filling our lives with something else. We can change the way we choose to eat and do our utmost to control the quality and quantity, but you would have to be a hermit with someone else doing all your shopping for you or growing all your own produce to completely avoid situations where you are exposed to high calorie and/or sugary foods. There is a chance, almost every day, that we will be in a position where we have to actively choose to buy or eat a, b and c but eschew d because d has more calories than we can consume with a, b and c and not put on weight or d is sugary, which will leave us a little hungry or jittery and wanting to eat more. Nothing to do with addiction, rather than it's your 4 year old nieces birthday and cake is quite legally and legitimately on offer.

My own need to cut out sugary shite was nothing to do with real addiction. I'd got into some bad habits and I knew they were bad habits and that I was putting weight on, I reached a point where each mouthful was more of a f you and it wasn't even always enjoyable.

But I stopped, one day, cold turkey, if you like, only there was no cold turkey involved. Nothing bad happened. No sweats. I didn't get twitchy. I didn't experience any pains. I didn't need locking in the house before I ran out to the nearest M&S for a cheesecake fix. That's because the sugary shite was a habit, not a physical addiction.
  • ouryve
    Options
    In all fairness meth and heroin addicts teeth don't fall out due to lack of brushing/oral hygiene. It's called meth mouth, incredibly dry mouth constantly and lots of grinding, clenching and teeth gnashing.

So it is because of the sex work to pay for the addiction?

What?

Talk about non sequitur.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    hot sauce would come more under the addiction umbrella because it actually causes an endorphin surge in the brain when you eat it (read that somewhere but can't find the link right now).

So does hugging, but the next time my young niece asks for a hug I'm not going to hold an intervention.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    A surprising number of bulimics do shoplift their binge foods.
  • ouryve
    Options
    I've a kid with ASD who went through a phase of climbing on top of kitchen cupboards to get at the bread. I know of others who have eaten sugar by the handful.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I have yet to see anyone get arrested for stealing/burglary/robbery to fulfill a sugar craving.

This is like whack-a-mole, but with bad arguments.

The guy who runs the convenience store down the street says the two most-shoplifted items in his whole store are batteries, and candy. I'm shocked alcohol isn't #1, but there you have it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Lot easier to steal something small, I'd think -- like candy or batteries. (Probably why batteries are sometimes behind the counter.)
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Lot easier to steal something small, I'd think -- like candy or batteries. (Probably why batteries are sometimes behind the counter.)

I would think condoms would be more commonly stolen than candy, just because holy crap those things are stupid expensive (much like batteries).
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

This is like whack-a-mole, but with bad arguments.

The guy who runs the convenience store down the street says the two most-shoplifted items in his whole store are batteries, and candy. I'm shocked alcohol isn't #1, but there you have it.

I think what gets stolen depends on the motivation behind it. People who are stealing for kicks tend to take things like makeup, candy, games, stupid stuff that you want but don't really want to spend money on.
    People stealing to support themselves or a habit steal stuff they can get good money or trade for. Here meat is popular, toiletries like razors, perfume, face cream, etc.
    Batteries is an odd one - they'd be worth money but also might fall under #1 too.

But I am also shocked alcohol isn't #1. You can't sell alcohol in convenience stores here but it is a pretty frequent occurance at the liquor stores here.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    There's alcohol in our convenience stores (probably one of the top things they sell), but it would be tough to steal (and there always seem to be cops around, weirdly) in the same way (sneaking out with it). Armed robbery would be something else, but shoplifting has to be a lot more common and it wouldn't be an easy thing to shoplift.

This article (http://www.cstoredecisions.com/2014/12/03/shining-brighter-light-shoplifting-trends/#_) says top items are: groceries, including cigarettes, energy drinks, infant formula, lottery tickets and gum. Cigarettes are usually behind the counter here -- I don't think I've ever seen them anywhere else.

This article (http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2012/06/what-are-the-most-shoplifted-items/) which seems like it's more focused on more organized thefts says it's items that can be sold for near retail: electronic toothbrushes, high-end vacuums and infant formula.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    There's alcohol in our convenience stores (probably one of the top things they sell), but it would be tough to steal (and there always seem to be cops around, weirdly) in the same way (sneaking out with it). Armed robbery would be something else, but shoplifting has to be a lot more common and it wouldn't be an easy thing to shoplift.

This article (http://www.cstoredecisions.com/2014/12/03/shining-brighter-light-shoplifting-trends/#_) says top items are: groceries, including cigarettes, energy drinks, infant formula, lottery tickets and gum. Cigarettes are usually behind the counter here -- I don't think I've ever seen them anywhere else.

This article (http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2012/06/what-are-the-most-shoplifted-items/) which seems like it's more focused on more organized thefts says it's items that can be sold for near retail: electronic toothbrushes, high-end vacuums and infant formula.

Yeah cigarettes are behind the counter here too. The only time I know of them or lottery tickets being taken was during a robbery as well.
    Snow blowers were a big ticket items here before. They would drive up to the displays outside and cut the chain. And pot sets. They were selling at $200 pot set for $25.
  • Return2Fit
    Return2Fit Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Actually, all humans are addicted to sugar.
    Nobody would survive without it, but we can all survive without cocaine or heroin.

We need sugar so bad that if we do not intake glucose in some form, our bodies can make its own.
    That's how addictive sugar is! >:)
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Two buck chuck...
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Two buck chuck...

Don't forget the T-bird. Ugh...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    ouryve wrote: »
    It tastes good some some people keep eating it.

Drugs feel good, so people use more of them. That sounds familiar you know.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Well...

http://metro.co.uk/2014/12/14/260-tonnes-of-chocolate-stolen-in-biggest-robbery-of-its-type-4986837/
    So they ate it all? Or were they looking for profit by selling it? I'm going with the latter.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png