Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Sügär

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    We read stories all the time about sugar addicts, you know all the candy store robberies by addicts needing a fix.

My nephew is in state prison for stealing to support his meth addiction. Sure he'd like to hear how this sugar addiction works.

Would he be in prison if meth were legal and he could buy it cheaply at dozens of stores in every city? Your argument has more to do with availability and legality than addiction.
    Alcohol is. They have programs for recovery. And ask you to abstain for fear of relapse.
    How do you abstain from having any sugar in your diet at all? Don't eat fruits and vegetables? Make sure all meats never have marinades with a hint of sugar for fear of relapse?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

You can't buy alcohol cheaply though. It is rather strongly state controlled in most of the US.
    You must not go to BevMo then. Especially during their (in best singing voice) "5 cent wine sale!"

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    I have yet to see anyone get arrested for stealing/burglary/robbery to fulfill a sugar craving.

This is like whack-a-mole, but with bad arguments.

The guy who runs the convenience store down the street says the two most-shoplifted items in his whole store are batteries, and candy. I'm shocked alcohol isn't #1, but there you have it.
    Bet most of the shoplifters are kids stealing candy. Why? Because it tastes good and it's easy to hide in pockets, but not because they are "addicted" to it. Take the candy and put it behind the counter. Most people steal because of OPPORTUNITY, not because of NEED.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    We read stories all the time about sugar addicts, you know all the candy store robberies by addicts needing a fix.

My nephew is in state prison for stealing to support his meth addiction. Sure he'd like to hear how this sugar addiction works.

Would he be in prison if meth were legal and he could buy it cheaply at dozens of stores in every city? Your argument has more to do with availability and legality than addiction.
    Alcohol is. They have programs for recovery. And ask you to abstain for fear of relapse.
    How do you abstain from having any sugar in your diet at all? Don't eat fruits and vegetables? Make sure all meats never have marinades with a hint of sugar for fear of relapse?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Not sure why you quoted me. Is there some relation between your post (reply??) and my post?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Not sure why you quoted me. Is there some relation between your post (reply??) and my post?

He wants to see you get better. I hope you find help for your alcoholism too.

I'm not sure the world could handle a better me. :drinker:
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    ouryve wrote: »
    It tastes good some some people keep eating it.

Drugs feel good, so people use more of them. That sounds familiar you know.
    I have yet to see anyone get arrested for stealing/burglary/robbery to fulfill a sugar craving.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Well...

http://metro.co.uk/2014/12/14/260-tonnes-of-chocolate-stolen-in-biggest-robbery-of-its-type-4986837/

If that was for personal consumption, respect.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    So they ate it all?

Holy crap, The Moving of the Goal Posts is a bigger event here than The Running of the Bulls is in Spain!

You're telling me people steal candy to not eat it? That's your answer after you said you've never heard of people stealing sugar and people gave you about 100 examples of this.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    The neurological responses that lead to addiction are there for species preservation. If eating or sex are pleasurable, you're going to do more of them.

As for me, I still like candied bacon, addictive or no:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alexandra-guarnaschelli/candied-bacon-recipe.html/
  • BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Well...

http://metro.co.uk/2014/12/14/260-tonnes-of-chocolate-stolen-in-biggest-robbery-of-its-type-4986837/

I'll see ur Brit chocolate caper and raise you 18million dollars worth of pure Canadian Liquid Crack

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2013-01-02/the-great-canadian-maple-syrup-heist
  • ninerbuff
    edited August 2016
    Options
    So they ate it all?

Holy crap, The Moving of the Goal Posts is a bigger event here than The Running of the Bulls is in Spain!

You're telling me people steal candy to not eat it? That's your answer after you said you've never heard of people stealing sugar and people gave you about 100 examples of this.
    260 tonnes of candy? Yeah right, they stole it to eat it all. :D People steal mostly due to opportunity. Not to fulfill a sugar "addiction".
    Lol, if candy was put behind the counter of a store, how many people are going to come in with a weapon and say "okay, give me all your candy!!!"
    Eating a lot of sugar is based habitual behavior not physical behavior.
    We're in a movement because of the rising obesity issues, to BLAME sugar "addiction", genetics, food companies, job stress, etc. when the NUMBER 1 reason for weight gain is just over consumption of total calories due to lack of discipline by an individual.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Well...

So they ate it all? Or were they looking for profit by selling it? I'm going with the latter.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Just let the truth get in the way of a good gag, eh?

Yeah, it turned out to be just a small part of a massive racket.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    hot sauce would come more under the addiction umbrella because it actually causes an endorphin surge in the brain when you eat it (read that somewhere but can't find the link right now).

So does hugging, but the next time my young niece asks for a hug I'm not going to hold an intervention.

Which endorphin does it release?

Lots of lovely oxytocin.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    So they ate it all?

You think 260 tons is for personal consumption? I'm confused which way this is going now.

Pretty sure 260 tons of a controlled substance would kick you into "intent to deal" in any jurisdiction.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

The question of how legalizing meth would affect addicts and the economy doesn't factor in to the debat of whether or not sugar is equally addictive.

The question should be: If sugar were illegal and was as expensive on the street as meth, would anyone become so desparate for their next sugar fix that they'd be willing to steal for it?

Hint: No.

Yeah, for once I have to disagree (it wouldn't be widespread, but I'll guarantee you it'd happen). Not because sugar is addictive, but because some people steal things for little to no reason at all.

I was referring to those who aren't already inclined to steal. Obviously someone who doesn't have a problem stealing DVDs from Walmart isn't going to have a problem stealing a candy bar either.
    But desperation for another hit of sugar wouldn't drive otherwise law abiding citizens to a life of crime.

That contrasts with what we see with drugs. Let an otherwise good kid get hooked on meth at his buddy's house and his entire moral compass disappears until he gets a fix.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

The question of how legalizing meth would affect addicts and the economy doesn't factor in to the debat of whether or not sugar is equally addictive.

The question should be: If sugar were illegal and was as expensive on the street as meth, would anyone become so desparate for their next sugar fix that they'd be willing to steal for it?

Yeah, for once I have to disagree (it wouldn't be widespread, but I'll guarantee you it'd happen). Not because sugar is addictive, but because some people steal things for little to no reason at all.

I was referring to those who aren't already inclined to steal. Obviously someone who doesn't have a problem stealing DVDs from Walmart isn't going to have a problem stealing a candy bar either.
    But desperation for another hit of sugar wouldn't drive otherwise law abiding citizens to a life of crime.

That contrasts with what we see with drugs. Let an otherwise good kid get hooked on meth at his buddy's house and his entire moral compass disappears until he gets a fix.

I stole candy from the store when I was a kid because I wanted it (and mom had just told me I couldn't have it).

I've never stolen anything else, and the candy only the one time. The candy still wasn't addictive, and I clearly wasn't inclined to steal in general. Poor impulse control. Lots of people have issues with it.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

I stole candy from the store when I was a kid because I wanted it (and mom had just told me I couldn't have it).

I've never stolen anything else, and the candy only the one time. The candy still wasn't addictive, and I clearly wasn't inclined to steal in general. Poor impulse control. Lots of people have issues with it.

Right. I didn't mean that things like that wouldn't still go on. Just that Aunt Mae isn't going to start holding up gas stations to get cash to buy sugar on the black market. lol
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Yeah right, they stole it to eat it all. :D People steal mostly due to opportunity.

First you told me you've never heard of anybody stealing sugar, now you're telling me people stole a whole lot of sugar and only you know why they did it.