Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Sügär

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    We read stories all the time about sugar addicts, you know all the candy store robberies by addicts needing a fix.

My nephew is in state prison for stealing to support his meth addiction. Sure he'd like to hear how this sugar addiction works.

Would he be in prison if meth were legal and he could buy it cheaply at dozens of stores in every city? Your argument has more to do with availability and legality than addiction.

Of course, because isn't being addicted to meth its own prison? Isn't someone addicted to unnatural substances like processed sugar a prison too?

No.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    We read stories all the time about sugar addicts, you know all the candy store robberies by addicts needing a fix.

My nephew is in state prison for stealing to support his meth addiction. Sure he'd like to hear how this sugar addiction works.

Would he be in prison if meth were legal and he could buy it cheaply at dozens of stores in every city? Your argument has more to do with availability and legality than addiction.

The question of how legalizing meth would affect addicts and the economy doesn't factor in to the debat of whether or not sugar is equally addictive.

The question should be: If sugar were illegal and was as expensive on the street as meth, would anyone become so desparate for their next sugar fix that they'd be willing to steal for it?

Hint: No.

Yeah, I'm not so sure about that. But it's a moot point since there is no way to prove it.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    The question should be: If sugar were illegal and was as expensive on the street as meth, would anyone become so desparate for their next sugar fix that they'd be willing to steal for it?

No is as good a guess as any...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

The question of how legalizing meth would affect addicts and the economy doesn't factor in to the debat of whether or not sugar is equally addictive.

I agree with this. The fact that sugar consumption has only gotten as prevalent as it is due to cheap sugar and even tasty goods with sugar that are made for you in many cases suggests to me that this is true. Even sweets lovers will typically go without if they don't have someone making them cookies/a place to buy premade snacks. They don't start scooping sugar out of the jar.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    ...after all, nicotine is required by the body; under normal circumstances it makes its own nicotine

... ?

• Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I agree with this. The fact that sugar consumption has only gotten as prevalent as it is due to cheap sugar and even tasty goods with sugar that are made for you in many cases suggests to me that this is true. Even sweets lovers will typically go without if they don't have someone making them cookies/a place to buy premade snacks. They don't start scooping sugar out of the jar.

I have never seen anyone scoop sugar from a jar (or bag). I have seen people eat/drink honey or maple syrup to get a sugar fix. Or eat a can of store bought cake icing or down an entire bag of marshmallows. And I have seen a LOT of people steal candy from children. People can get weird without their sugar.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    Icing is sugar plus fat. It's the evolutionary survival jackpot. And marshmallows are more gelatin (boiled bones) than sugar. People take candy that's given to kids for a variety of social conditioning reasons (not the least of which is kids are frequently given candy at amounts completely over the top).

And absolutely no one acts like a meth head bugging out without their "fix". To say such a thing suggests your experience worth drug addicts is profoundly limited to nonexistent.

Who said anything about bugging out? The question was would someone steal to procure sugar if it were suddenly illegal and as hard to obtain as meth.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

Yeah, for once I have to disagree (it wouldn't be widespread, but I'll guarantee you it'd happen). Not because sugar is addictive, but because some people steal things for little to no reason at all.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    It tastes good some some people keep eating it.

Drugs feel good, so people use more of them. That sounds familiar you know.
    I have yet to see anyone get arrested for stealing/burglary/robbery to fulfill a sugar craving.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    There's a study I read that proves sugar more addicting than cocaine, the science is there to prove sugar as something that needs moderation. The research and study of the many outweighs that of the few. Sugar isn't nessisarily bad, it just needs to be watched.
    With rats right? This is OLD NEWS and has been debated over and over with the sugar "addiction" having very weak scientific claims.
    It tastes good some some people keep eating it. Same reason why people like hot sauce or salt on everything they eat. Are there any salt or hot sauce "addicts"?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Not specifically salt, but I found a peer-reviewed article about MSG: http://www.spiritofhealthkc.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/Health Library/Modern Medicine/Man Made Chemicals and Pollution/MSG/MSG1 - The Toxicity - Safety of MSG.pdf

The food industry knows that food enhancing flavors such as MSG cause the public to consume, therefore buy, more product. And no, I'm not a conspiracy nut, this just sounds like a good short-term business plan to me. Long term doesn't make much sense, though, since you're harming the customers.
    Most packaged food will state if they are MSG free. And MSG has been around forever.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    Options

I have yet to see anyone get arrested for stealing/burglary/robbery to fulfill a sugar craving.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I once shoplifted a bag of halloween candy as a kid to feed my sugar needs. Does that count?
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Alcohol is. They have programs for recovery. And ask you to abstain for fear of relapse.
    How do you abstain from having any sugar in your diet at all? Don't eat fruits and vegetables? Make sure all meats never have marinades with a hint of sugar for fear of relapse?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

On one of those Intervention shows there was an bulimic who would steal food for her binges. Usually it was sweet treats.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Of course, because isn't being addicted to meth its own prison? Isn't someone addicted to unnatural substances like processed sugar a prison too?
    I wouldn't rob or kill for a bag of sugar even if it was costly or limited.
    I've seen and known people who'll do just about anything for meth.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Both meth and sugar result in rotted out teeth. Why are we pretending this happens on the inside with one (meth) but not the other?
    Lol, neither would if people had good oral hygiene. Yes I know, brushing your teeth can be tedious just like weighing food on a scale.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png