Pregnancy-How many weeks after delivery did you lose weight

Options
I had my son 3 weeks ago and have already lost the 25 pounds that I gained during pregnancy.

I am now dropping additional pounds and can't tell if it is still pregnancy weight coming off, or if it is my low calories that I've been consuming.

Don't get me wrong I am happy for weight loss either way!, but I was just wondering when everyone else stopped losing pregnancy weight???

I'm sure it is a combination of both and different for everyone, but I just want to know after how many weeks my body will stop losing pregnancy weight and start losing fat?

Edit: I am not breastfeeding, only formula.

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Weeks? LOL. How about months or years? It took me a year with the first 2 where I gained 25lbs, 1.5 years with the third where I gained 45lbs (and I never really got there but i was pretty thin before him).
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    are you breastfeeding? I have 8 kids. As long as I was breastfeeding I was losing weight fairly steadily. With baby 8 I lost all the baby weight in 3-4 months and then started losing the other weight. If you are breastfeeding make sure you are eating enough calories to maintain your milk supply. Drink lots of water.
  • sexysisam
    sexysisam Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I lost weight quickly until about 4 weeks pp, about 40 lbs. When I stopped loosing weight I started using my fitness pal and lost 3.5 more. I haven't weighed myself since (I was 6 weeks pp on Thursday).
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Let me see... I gave birth in March 2006, and lost the weight in 2012... so... um, let me see... how many weeks in a year again? :laugh:
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    After my daughter I didn't lose weight until I quit breastfeeding, and only lost about half of it. 2 years after my son, I am finally at my pre-son weight...again, after weaning him.

Plus side, since I worked out before cutting my diet, I look better than I did before when I was this weight. If I do say so myself. :)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Well, it's been 20 years and I'm still not near my pre-pregnant weight. :tongue:

For me, I wouldn't worry about losing weight so soon after giving birth. Dealing with babies throws my eating off anyway - not always time for a full meal, eating when I could, etc. - not to mention the work, lack of sleep, and running around that happens.
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Well, with my first I was a healthy weight of 145 before getting pregnant and I gained about 25 pounds. By 8 weeks after delivery I lost about 15 of it. Now, it took almost all the way to his first birthday for me to lose the last 10. But I wasn't as strict.

With my second..I had slowly gained 15 pounds over the years and was 160 when I got pregnant. I gained about 30-35 pounds this time and got up to 190-195 but the days after delivery I was down to 185. Now my stomach went down a bit, but I stayed 185 for about 2 years. I was still eating like crap.

Then I started being serious and lost 30 pounds since March and I am lower than my 2nd pre pregnancy weight and I am only 10 pounds from my first pre pregnancy weight. :)

It may take time, but if you are serious, I am sure you can be successful.

ETA. I also didn't breastfeed my two kids.
  • Jessimaaka
    Jessimaaka Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I gained 50 and lost it by the time my son was 6 months. The first 30 dropped off within about 6 weeks and I had to struggle with the remaining 20. I am now 15 lighter than that and still working on it :smile:

Edit: he was exclusively breastfed until about 6.5 months, and we still nurse about 5 times in a 24 hour period.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I stared MFP Jan of 2012. I lost 15 pounds quickly and started feeling GREAT!! So great that my libido went through the roof (how you doin??!!?) So 9 months later I am excited about starting my weight loss journey all over again (hello baby)!! Breastfeeding made me gain and I was sicker than hell for the first few months after delivery. I am a unique case I am sure, but I didnt really start losing until about 5 month post delivery. With my first baby I gained 80 pounds and had 90 off in 6 months. With this one, I am just hoping to lose the 50 pounds I gained by the time my chunk a lunk turns 1(a little over 10 pounds left yo!!) Long story short(too late!!) Its different for every pregnancy.Do what you feel comfortable doing and slowly increase exercise. That has been the key for me :-)
  • Kkonowal
    Kkonowal Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Are you breastfeeding? Cause if you are you should be eating about 300 calories over your maintenance.....i had my third baby 11 months ago and i
    My pre-pregnancy weight was 148 i gained about 55 lbs, breastfed for 6 months, lost all pregnancy weight by 4 months postpartum and now i'm currently 134.... So congrats on the weight loss and your new baby!!!! WTG!
  • RebeccaHite
    RebeccaHite Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I got told it takes 2 yrs for your body to go back how it was(Organs to shrink) if you breastfeed it will shrink your uterus faster and is a natural birth control.
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    my son was 43 years old before I got the weight off!
    Good for you
  • roselover58
    roselover58 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Weeks? LOL. How about months or years? It took me a year with the first 2 where I gained 25lbs, 1.5 years with the third where I gained 45lbs (and I never really got there but i was pretty thin before him).

I weighed 188 when I had my daughter. Last year, I actually hit below 188! I have gained back a bit, but I know I can do it.

Oh, yeah - my beautiful daughter just turned 25...
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    thatonegirlwiththestuff Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 lbs in 6 weeks after my son was born. It took an additional few months to get the remaining 20 off even with breastfeeding. If you're not nursing you don't need to worry about a calorie restrictive diet. But for everyone it's different.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I had my son 3 weeks ago and have already lost the 25 pounds that I gained during pregnancy.

I am now dropping additional pounds and can't tell if it is still pregnancy weight coming off, or if it is my low calories that I've been consuming.

Don't get me wrong I am happy for weight loss either way!, but I was just wondering when everyone else stopped losing pregnancy weight???

I'm sure it is a combination of both and different for everyone, but I just want to know after how many weeks my body will stop losing pregnancy weight and start losing fat?

I'll get the studies linking early autism and formula in non breastfed children...brb.

Breast milk is the most important nutrient dense food the baby can eat for the first 16-18 months of its life.
    3 weeks and on formula?!
    also the hormonal cascade you get from it ensures your health and longevity.
    Genetically we are here to procreate the human race so youve popped a kid out but you sholdnt stop at that.

I'll get the studies for you and post but i'm staying out of this conversation.
    Selfish moms piss me off.

People who comment without knowing all the facts piss me off. You have no idea why she chose to use formula over breast milk, and there could be any number of reasons to do so, which do NOT include selfishness.
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    My first daughter took me a really long time ..I also developed an ED from the Navy (because I had a short amount of time to gt back to weight standards) my second daughter 5 years later, took me about 8 weeks to shed the extra weight.

I have kept it off healthy since.

For every woman, there is no "right" or "wrong" amount of time to lose baby weight. From my experience, losing it healthy and learning to keep it off if way healthier than losing it in a fast amount of time.

ALWAYS shoot for 1-2 pounds a week.

Good luck!
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options

I'll get the studies linking early autism and formula in non breastfed children...brb.

You are a *kitten*.

If my mom had kept my sisters and me on breastmilk we'd have starved to death. None of the four of us have autism. I have several adopted brothers and sisters, I'd bet dollar to donuts they were formula fed too. Don't you dare judge this woman for feeding her kid. She loves her child and is doing what she feels/knows is best.

Judgmental people piss me off.
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options

Breast milk is the most important nutrient dense food the baby can eat for the first 16-18 months of its life.
    3 weeks and on formula?!
    Genetically we are here to procreate the human race so youve popped a kid out but you sholdnt stop at that.

People who comment without knowing all the facts piss me off. You have no idea why she chose to use formula over breast milk, and there could be any number of reasons to do so, which do NOT include selfishness.

Hey guess what? I formula fed both of my kids...both of them are healthy and strong. Personally its not being selfish, its determining what is right for you. The thought of my kid sucking on my boob totally grosses me out. Some moms need to open their eyes.
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options

3 weeks and on formula?!

What a waste of a post.
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options

3 weeks and on formula?!

I have to agree (with the last poster here). I have breastfed all 8 of my kids and done it through mastitis BUT not everyone can breastfeed. My sister was unable to breastfeed because of medication she had to take. I pumped milk for her but she mainly used formula. If you are not breastfeeding because of a medical issue or something you can get human donor milk which is a better option than formula. If you just had not thought about breastfeeding you can try re-lacating. If you are interested in that let me know and I will message you some tips on how to do that.