Pregnancy-How many weeks after delivery did you lose weight

Options

Replies

• t4eaed
    t4eaed Posts: 25
    Options
    I had my son 3 weeks ago and have already lost the 25 pounds that I gained during pregnancy.

I am now dropping additional pounds and can't tell if it is still pregnancy weight coming off, or if it is my low calories that I've been consuming.

Don't get me wrong I am happy for weight loss either way!, but I was just wondering when everyone else stopped losing pregnancy weight???

I'm sure it is a combination of both and different for everyone, but I just want to know after how many weeks my body will stop losing pregnancy weight and start losing fat?

Edit: I am not breastfeeding, only formula.

I'll get the studies linking early autism and formula in non breastfed children...brb.

Breast milk is the most important nutrient dense food the baby can eat for the first 16-18 months of its life.
    3 weeks and on formula?!
    also the hormonal cascade you get from it ensures your health and longevity.
    Genetically we are here to procreate the human race so youve popped a kid out but you sholdnt stop at that.

I'll get the studies for you and post but i'm staying out of this conversation.
    Selfish moms piss me off.

You piss me off! I planned to exclusively breastfeed my children but nature had other ideas. My son went from a birth weight of 7lbs 13 down to 6lbs 7 by day 6. I was told by my midwife to give him formula. I was heartbroken. I did mix feed for as long as I could, so I'd breastfeed at each feed, then give formula, and pump in between. I had similar issues with my daughter, and I even took domperidone to increase lactation. All it did was make me gain weight. Again, she was mix fed. As you can see from my profile pic, nothing wrong with my children.

I was formula fed from about 10 weeks myself. I'm healthy, have 3 degrees etc. It's made no difference!

The WHO recommends breastfeeding for longer probably for third world countries where they don't have access to the same healthy food the rest of the world does.

Believe me, if I have another baby I will try my hardest to breastfeed, but I don't think it's the end of the world if you can't (although it feels it at the time). Comments like yours really upset me.

I am truly upset that this post has taken this route.

I, like this poster above, have the same problem with not producing enough milk as ONE of the reasons I cannot breastfeed. When I had my daughter, she spent 2 nights in the hospital a couple weeks after having her because of weight loss! I too was told that I don't produce enough, and I have to give formula. Even pumping and taking pills to help produce more milk I was barely getting any on each side. I worked closely with several lactation consultants for several weeks.

In addition, I have a health condition which requires me to be on medication. The medication is not safe for breastfeeding because it is passed through the milk! There are no other medications in the drug category I need that are considered safe for baby!

So, NO, I am not being selfish, I have to do what is best for me and my family. I was already upset that I couldn't breastfeed and don't need a judgmental *kitten* that doesn't know all the facts making me feel worse about my decision.

Breastfeeding is not for everyone. My mom had to breastfeed me early on because of not producing enough...as well as my grandma with all 7 of her children. We all turned out just fine, college educated and productive members of society...more than I can say for you.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

I'll get the studies linking early autism and formula in non breastfed children...brb.

Breast milk is the most important nutrient dense food the baby can eat for the first 16-18 months of its life.
    3 weeks and on formula?!
    Genetically we are here to procreate the human race so youve popped a kid out but you sholdnt stop at that.

"Staying out of the conversation," I don't think it means what you think it means
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I had my son 3 weeks ago and have already lost the 25 pounds that I gained during pregnancy.

I am now dropping additional pounds and can't tell if it is still pregnancy weight coming off, or if it is my low calories that I've been consuming.

Don't get me wrong I am happy for weight loss either way!, but I was just wondering when everyone else stopped losing pregnancy weight???

I'm sure it is a combination of both and different for everyone, but I just want to know after how many weeks my body will stop losing pregnancy weight and start losing fat?

3 weeks and on formula?!

bolded above Tell that to the percentage of breast fed people that have died or are dying of one disease or another. Breast milk is great for your baby, is likely the best thing you can feed it but it is not a panacea for long life and health. Overstating your case this blatantly borders on dishonest.

Also, a woman that choses to feed her child formula is not selfish, she's just made a choice. Stop getting pissed off about personal choices made by other people that are, quite frankly, none of your concern. You do what you like with your child's eating regimen and be done with it.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options

3 weeks and on formula?!

3015062728_6b27f9a6ae.jpg

This.

did someone hack your account Dan?
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I am a huge proponent of breastfeeding and have done so with both my children but Dan, you are a *kitten*. I cannot believe you posted that without A) knowing anything about why she did not/could not breastfeed her child and B) stooped to levels such as these.

I have been thinking that lately you have been getting kooky in your posts here and on FB and this post just confirmed it.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I tend to lose all my pregnancy weight in the first 2 weeks but then I have supply problems with my milk so I try to eat more and my weight stays fairly steady until I completely stop feeding then I usually start gaining and feel like I have to start tackling the bulge. I stopped feeding my youngest at 5 months and just ballooned for the next 5 months and nothing I did seemed to make any difference until I joined MFP and started really counting the calories.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options

3 weeks and on formula?!

Oh HELL NO!

I'm saying this as a mom who breastfed two kids: 14 months and 19 months.

To come in here with autism fear mongering and then call someone selfish without any of the facts? Shame on you! What if she's a breast cancer survivor or had a breast reduction and can't BF? What if she had supply issues and can't BF? What if she works full time and is unable to pump? What if she just doesn't want to? It is HER choice.

No mother who carries a child inside her body with all the discomfort, pain and inconveniences that go with it, who go through whatever form of childbirth it takes to get that child out, and who then spend day and night putting its needs above their own can be called selfish.

And no one should EVER berate a new mom who is going through pain, exhaustion and hormonal extremes by knocking their mothering. Again, shame on you.
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options

I am truly upset that this post has taken this route.

I, like this poster above, have the same problem with not producing enough milk as ONE of the reasons I cannot breastfeed. When I had my daughter, she spent 2 nights in the hospital a couple weeks after having her because of weight loss! I too was told that I don't produce enough, and I have to give formula. Even pumping and taking pills to help produce more milk I was barely getting any on each side. I worked closely with several lactation consultants for several weeks.

In addition, I have a health condition which requires me to be on medication. The medication is not safe for breastfeeding because it is passed through the milk! There are no other medications in the drug category I need that are considered safe for baby!

So, NO, I am not being selfish, I have to do what is best for me and my family. I was already upset that I couldn't breastfeed and don't need a judgmental *kitten* that doesn't know all the facts making me feel worse about my decision.

Breastfeeding is not for everyone. My mom had to breastfeed me early on because of not producing enough...as well as my grandma with all 7 of her children. We all turned out just fine, college educated and productive members of society...more than I can say for you.

good for you for trying to breastfeed and then for finding what worked best for your baby. You keep doing what works for your family! I'm glad we are not all a like (or we might all be like Dan and what a sad world that would be!!)
  • Cadori
    Options
    And OP, to answer your question...both times I was at prepregnancy weight in a week, but I started out overweight and ate really carefully during pg so I didn't gain any more than baby + pregnancy fluids. Yes I BF and that helped me lose weight, but I'll tell you, both times weaning has led to weight gain. I'm doing better this time because I'm more aware.
  • weese17
    weese17 Posts: 236 Member
    Options

3 weeks and on formula?!

I breastfed my son for two years.

I've been to La Leche League meetings every month for the past 4 years.

Two of my sisters have been LLL leaders.

I have nursed out in the open, without covers, everywhere from the Thanksgiving table to restaurants to Target.

I am as boob-friendly as they come.

However, I would not deign to judge any mom who bottle-feeds instead of nursing, and *I* feel like I actually have the right to an opinion.

You, sir, do not.

Let me know when you have a vagina, boobs, and have actually birthed someone.

Edited to add:

OP, I'm sorry that that a$$hat joined in your thread. Post-partum is SUCH an emotional time anyway - the last thing you need is someone being a jerk!

I'm not sure if my experience is anything to go by, since I did nurse both my kids and so my recovery was a bit different. But I will tell you that you should take it easy on yourself. How quickly you lose your weight is dependent on so many variables - how much you gained, how sleep-deprived you are (makes it so much harder, and OF COURSE you are sleep-deprived!), whether you had a c-section or not, etc. etc. I wouldn't even think about it for quite a while yet. Just focus on healing from delivery, taking care of your baby, and nourishing yourself with good food. The weight-loss will come in time. :)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I feel like I lost weight for about 12 weeks both times. First one breastfed for 3 months. Second one 2 years. Same difference in the lbs shedding for me, I guess. Oh yeah both c-sections which I include also because that might matter if activity level is a factor in the equations.

ETA: correction to state as weeks as per OP's question. Ain't nobody got time fo' months!
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    To the breast is best preacher.....Information on the best way to feed a baby changes all the time. When my brother was born in the 70's my mother was told by medical professionals that she must give him formula if she wanted to give him all the nutrients to grow properly. When I was born in the 80's medical professionals advised her to breast feed me in order to give me the best start. As long as a baby is fed and happy, that is all that matters and it not your place to say whether the OPs feeding plan is right or wrong.

Some mothers also do not produce enough milk no matter how hard they try. I only managed to feed one of my children for 2 weeks before my supply disappeared. Should I have let him starve? I think not.

There are medications that I could have tried but these cross over into the breast milk and their long term affects are unknown. Would that have been better for my baby? I think not.

Another of my children nearly ended up in hospital due to my poor supply and the fact that we were unable to get her to drink from a bottle and we had to resort to spoon feeding until she was stronger and more used to the feel of a bottle. Should I persisted with breast is best and continued to let her deteriorate? Again I think not

To be honest breast feeding my babies was so stressful for both myself and them that I probably should never have bothered but I had people like you breathing down my neck and because of that I and my children suffered unnecessarily.
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Let it be known that Dan does not have kids. Probably wont either. So....his "experience" is truly none.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options

3 weeks and on formula?!

a4gwScX.gif
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Yeah somewhere around a week or 2 after birth I had lost 20 to 25 pounds. Then by 7 months postpartum I was back to my pre-pregnancy fitness level. The first time I gained more than the second time (at least 10 pounds more). After the first baby I wasn't thinking about getting fit, I was just active and ate a nutritious diet. The second time I was actively working at getting fit again.
  • Cadori
    Options
    Let it be known that Dan does not have kids. Probably wont either. So....his "experience" is truly none.

Wow. That makes it worse.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    That's weird... 3 pages into a post about weight loss after pregnancy and there are already 3 women who "could not produce enough milk" to feed their babies? That seems like a lot. Like percentage wise.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    That's weird... 3 pages into a post about weight loss after pregnancy and there are already 3 women who "could not produce enough milk" to feed their babies? That seems like a lot. Like percentage wise.

Self selected audience would be my guess about that. People who read the jerk post and could not produce milk were probably the most offended of all, thus making them more likely to post instead of lurk and increasing the percentage of 'could not produce' posters to that above the general female population.

/shug, just a theory

Edit: to add clarity
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

Self selected audience would be my guess about that. People who read the jerk post and could not produce milk were probably the most offended of all, thus making them more likely to post instead of lurk and increasing the percentage of 'could not produce' posters to that above the general female population.

/shug, just a theory

Edit: to add clarity

Yes, my original post was about weight loss, then I saw the idiot's post.
  • Fiercely_Me
    Fiercely_Me Posts: 481 Member
    Options

3 weeks and on formula?!

Troll.

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to chastise the op for not breastfeeding. When will people realize that those that formula feed aren't necessarily doing that by choice?? And if they are, so what? Babies thrive just as well off of formula as they do with breastfeeding.

Studies on autism and formula feeding are correlative and do not show that formula feeding will cause autism in children. Some of those studies are not blind studies and lend themselves to a significant amount of experimenter bias. There was even one based on self-report from an internet survey. Very reliable.

Breast may be best, but it does not give you the right to shame women who don't breastfeed.

To the Op, I similarly lost about 25 pounds two weeks after I gave birth 2/14 of this year and then I was at a stand still. The weight is coming off slowly but surely but I know that eventually, I'll be back to my pre-pregnancy weight and then some.