Options
13»

Replies

• edean331
    edean331 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    edean331 wrote: »
    Yes, water weight is a concern. I think it is related to salt but it also makes me think of kidneys and body processes.
    I'm thinking a fast may be beneficial here too, if some process is overworked, it can rest.

No, your kidneys (or other organs) don't "rest" if you become dehydrated. It makes them work harder.

Please take care of yourself.
    Agreed! Dehydration is a terrible thing
  • msalicia116
    msalicia116 Posts: 233 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Mentali wrote: »
    @msalicia116, when you say "fasting", what do you mean by it? Even for different kinds of intermittent fasting they have different fasting definitions, so people that are criticizing might not even realize what you're doing and think it's something else.

Fasting has the same definition, there's just many options of fasting to chose from. The key is finding the best form of fasting for you. This is exactly why it is important to educate yourself on what fasting is and the options before just jumping in. If you don't know what I mean when I say fasting, that's a sign you don't know anything about fasting and should do the research. *Fasting is a designated period of time with little to no calories. It's important you chose the type of fasting that best suits your lifestyle and to do it safely. Whether it's a 16 hour, 18, 24, 5/2, 4/3, ADF, etc.

Edits*
  • msalicia116
    Options
    I'm not overthinking it or going crazy! :D
    I've eaten very little to nothing at various times on my life, I have studied medicine in an academic setting and have common sense. I am just a regular person of average intelligence like everyone else :)
    To me the definition of fasting is consuming water only, though I do typically drink other beverages. I refer to my liquids only as fasting but view true fasting as strictly water.
    I haven't been online in a minute, thanks for the reminder, Mentali!

Fasting isn't about common sense. And it doesn't necessarily mean water only. Many follow the 1/4 calorie rule, and it is still considered a fast, because your fasting levels are still consistent. So, there's more to it than you and many people realize.

• Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    @msalicia116, when you say "fasting", what do you mean by it? Even for different kinds of intermittent fasting they have different fasting definitions, so people that are criticizing might not even realize what you're doing and think it's something else.

Fasting has the same definition, there's just many options of fasting to chose from. The key is finding the best form of fasting for you. This is exactly why it is important to educate yourself on what fasting is and the options before just jumping in. If you don't know what I mean when I say fasting, that's a sign you don't know anything about fasting and should do the research. Fasting is a designated period of time without food/calories. It's important you chose the type of fasting that best suits your lifestyle and to do it safely. Whether it's a 16 hour, 18, 24, 5/2, 4/3, ADF, etc.

I've seen people call fasting not even water, and people call fasting eating up to 700 calories a day. That's why I'm asking your definition. What a strange response.
  • msalicia116
    edited August 2016
    Options

Fasting has the same definition, there's just many options of fasting to chose from. The key is finding the best form of fasting for you. This is exactly why it is important to educate yourself on what fasting is and the options before just jumping in. If you don't know what I mean when I say fasting, that's a sign you don't know anything about fasting and should do the research. Fasting is a designated period of time without food/calories. It's important you chose the type of fasting that best suits your lifestyle and to do it safely. Whether it's a 16 hour, 18, 24, 5/2, 4/3, ADF, etc.

I've seen people call fasting not even water, and people call fasting eating up to 700 calories a day. That's why I'm asking your definition. What a strange response.

Why is it a strange response? I was just answering your question. Those are all fasting. Fasting is little to no calories over a period of time. That is universal. Like you mentioned, I elaborated that there are many forms of fasting to chose from. 16 hour, 18, 24, 5/2, 4/3, and ADF. You can chose which one you would like to follow. This is literally the answer to your questions, so have no idea why the response was "weird".

ETA- as long as your body is maintaining those fasting levels, that's the goal. That's why there's some that do 0 calorie, and some that do 500 women, 600 men. That's why they are all Fasting, but using different options.

• msalicia116
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Just wanted to add since it's another misconception... Fasting is not a quick fix or a faster way to lose weight! Your deficit will be the same as any other method you chose to use, so the loss per week will be the equivalent to calorie counting every day or whatever other method you might use.

That is all :)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    This isn't a Weight Loss Race and you are not going to lap any contestants. You didn't gain weight by trying to pork up fast, did you? You did it slowly and felt fine. That's the way to lose weight also.
  • edean331
    edean331 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    So true, I tend to get a bit enthusiastic with new plans and sooo impatient!
    I need to take it easy on myself and aim for a wholistic philosophy
  • SoulOfRusalka
    SoulOfRusalka Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I'd advise you not to fast. It can really *kitten* with your head and body sometimes, especially if you consider it "starving yourself" or want to punish yourself. But find something that works for you. If you still want to get a weight projection, you can just quick add the remaining calories, and add that same number burned in exercise. Your net will be the same so the projection will be accurate. But then it might be tempting to fast/restrict your calories every day, so...
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    fasting isn't healthy. if you want to attempt quick weight loss look into fat burning where you decrease carbs to about 80 and force your body to burn fat for energy instead of the carbs you are consuming. It is better to eat healthy and in moderation than to starve yourself which shuts down your metabolism.

Fasting is one of the healthiest things we can do. Starving is not. The key word OP, is that you used the word starve. That is a red flag. However, if you had said you wanted to start implementing fasts into your diet, then most people would have completely changed the direction of their response. I fast from 3-4 days a week. No eating disorder, no "damaged metabolism" which isn't really a thing without a medical condition, and no bad side affects such as dizziness, disorientation, and the inability to take care of my son. Quite the contrary actually! I even do fasted workouts, and my focus is better during a fasted state. So it's really about choosing the lifestyle that suits you best, and being fully educated on what to do.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1052/6482/files/Nobuhiro_Yoshimizu_Book.pdf?8791262083816771603

@msalicia116 I agree with your view of fasting.

Chapter 6 in this English version of a free booklet from Japan has medical research on fasting if one is interested in the medical research supporting "proper" fasting. Starving can shorten life but there is some medical evident fasting can extend life in some cases. The main subject of the booklet is Thermotherapy and building one's immune system to recover from health crisis so one can just skip to the last chapter to read about fasting from this Japanese medical director. I find Japan and some of Europe take a more basic and low tech/cost approach to preventing or recovering for illness than we do in the USA and much of it can be done outside of a clinic setting that lowers medical costs.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Aside from the concern of binging, there really are no other concerns with a short fast are there?? Anyone with experience on this??

I've done 24 hour water fasts but nothing longer. I peed a lot and was tired so I went to bed earlier. The next day I had dropped some bloat and felt great.
  • wrharvill
    wrharvill Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I started with a goal to lose 20 pounds and weigh 145. I was impatient, too, at first; but, I found after eating within my calorie limit of 1200 and lost the first 5 pounds relatively quickly I actually felt different, I felt good. I could see the changes and I looked and felt fabulous. Once I reached 145 I re-set to 140, now my goal is 127 (I have 9 pounds to go!). I know I can do this and even though the weight didn't come off as quickly as I really really wanted it to when I started, each pound down was noticeable even if only to me at first. On those days when I thought, hey I'm at 1000 cals for the day and thats just fine with me I didn't feel at all well or energetic the next day. It just wasn't worth it when I already had proof that eating more (1100-1200 cals.) would work just fine. I started my journey on April 16th of this year.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Paula, you're brilliant!

+1
    This poster is definitely Gold.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    I had kinda been planning to almost starve myself for a few days or a week as a start to my renewed interest/attempt at fitness and weight loss. The app says there will be no weight loss projection and cautions that I must be at the minimum 1000 calories per day.
    I really rely on the apps to track and keep me motivated, just got a new battery for my Misfit and reinstalled that app, too.
    Any advise on little to no food for a few days and keeping it safe and effective while still using the app??
    Thanks!

To jump start my renewed interest in weight loss, I bought new exercise clothes, got a few books and DVDs from the library, and joined a gym. I'm down 36 pounds since then. I didn't lose it quickly this time as I have in the past, but learned some great habits and feel like I lost it sustainably.