Losing weight and not needing to weigh food

Options

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Wake me when you make a point that goes with what I actually said.

2zmbvmig61w8.jpg
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    Wake me when you make a point that goes with what I actually said.

2zmbvmig61w8.jpg

Many of us have addressed your actual words. But you prefer to ignore us in favor of scoring points. This isn't a debate. It looks more like a game of ping pong with the rest of us left watching.
  • cee134
    Options
    I respect you Dianne, but I feel like alot of other people didn't read what I said or clarified.
  • tamms_1965
    tamms_1965 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh but I have weighed before just to make sure I wasn't deceiving myself on portion size (and I am a scientist). I cook a LOT and I create/alter my recipes on the fly/to taste, so it's too time-consuming to weigh. I've become pretty good at estimating and always leave a large cushion most days. I've lost 43 pounds in a year with 10-15 to go. I skimp on calories for break and lunch and use the 80% rule at dinner. I eat until I'm 80% full which often means eating a little more or less than my 250-500 cal deficit.

That being said, I totally understand why people need to weigh. It keeps you honest, and some people do not have good estimation skills. And as others have said, the less you have to lose, the more important it is to keep your calories straight.
  • cee134
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Please note: as this is the last time I will say it. I HAVE SAID THAT I UNDERSTAND THAT WEIGHING FOOD WORKS FOR YOU, THAT'S SUPER! I have said nothing against people that weigh food, I really haven't, if you look at what I've posted. I have said that sometimes there seems to be pressure to only weigh food, and that is not needed to lose weight. I wanted to let people know that it is not necessary, to weigh food, to lose weight. IF YOU DECIDE TO LOSE WEIGHT BY WEIGHING, GOOD FOR YOU. Stop bugging me on this post.

I know what I'm talking about because I lose 100 lbs. I gained it back because I stopped counting calories and had other life issues not relating to estimating food.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Millions of people lose weight without weighing or logging a single crumb. Weighing/logging is definitely not a prerequisite for weight loss.

There are dozens of "Why am i not losing weight" threads posted here nearly everyday. For these people, the most obvious and simple solution is to tighten up their logging/accuracy, and the easiest way to do this is by using a food scale for everything.

Some people are ace at estimating calories, and their weight loss goes along perfectly. Then there are other people like myself who are not so adept at it and would also prefer more precise numbers.

It's horses for courses.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Millions of people lose weight without weighing or logging a single crumb. Weighing/logging is definitely not a prerequisite for weight loss.

There are dozens of "Why am i not losing weight" threads posted here nearly everyday. For these people, the most obvious and simple solution is to tighten up their logging/accuracy, and the easiest way to do this is by using a food scale for everything.

Some people are ace at estimating calories, and their weight loss goes along perfectly. Then there are other people like myself who are not so adept at it and would also prefer more precise numbers.

It's horses for courses.

This^^ which has been repeated over and over again in many ways. OP, what answer are you looking for?
  • cee134
    Options

It's horses for courses.

I agree with what you have to say.
  • cee134
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Not looking for answers here.... Trying to talk to the people that think, when they plateau, their only out is measuring, but it seems to be a pain so they give up. Or newbies that feel pressured. If you don't think that is an issue. Move along. There is nothing to see here.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    If they do not want to weigh their food or don't own a food scale, the answer is lower their intake a little more.
  • cee134
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    If they do not want to weigh their food or don't own a food scale, the answer is lower their intake a little more.

Thank you, I said that earlier, FYI. :)
  • cee134
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Hmm, in an effort to figure out the point of this thread, I went back to the first post:
    cee134 wrote: »
    I see some people making a 2nd job out of measuring and weighing.

Really? Or are you IMAGINING that people are spending that much time on it. I realize some find it burdensome and I don't think everyone should do it (or needs to), but for me it takes no extra time to weigh my food while cooking. Logging takes a little extra time and trying to estimate what I eat at a restaurant does, so I don't plan to always log, but even when I'm not I occasionally weigh things and for some foods (like oatmeal and pasta and ice cream) I do regularly weigh out portions as a self-check. If this extra 5 seconds or so is a "second job" you must have a very unusual first one.

Also, when I used to bake (something I rarely do now, so, wowie! extra time), I would weigh ingredients, and didn't find it burdensome then.
    I feel sorry for those people that weigh everything, all the time.

Of all the things in the world, this is a really strange thing to pity people for, especially if they are happy and given that it's a chosen activity that they could stop doing if they disliked it/thought it wasn't worth it. Don't you see how condescending this sounds?
    I know when you are closer to your goal weight it can make more of a difference. But after gaining back the weight I lost (in a 2 year span, for reasons like not logging at all) I have been able to lose another 30 lbs, still not weighing.

I know I can lose without weighing, but if I am close to goal weight (currently I am) and have a goal of trying to maintain and then gain muscle without regaining significant fat, there are reasons to try to hit a precise calorie goal (I'm not really doing that at the moment, as I am trying to get back to logging and figure out my real TDEE, as I stopped logging for quite a while). I switched to weighing when I didn't need to be so precise (I was still easily losing 2 lb/week) because I find it much more bearable and fun to log when weighing. If you find weighing to add to the pain, that's fine, but just remember people are different. Many of us enjoy the added detail and accuracy and much prefer weighing to estimating.
    Has anyone measured their food and logged
    routinely for 8+ years?

Don't know, don't care, don't see how it's relevant. I probably never will. IMO, something isn't useful only if you plan to do it consistently forever.
    I thought, after losing 100 lbs, I had an idea of portions, but it turns out I did not if I wasn't logging my food.

Okay. I actually do have a good idea of portions and find logging more annoying than weighing. I spot check weigh, as noted above, when not logging. I also sometimes weigh foods like vegetables to be sure I am eating as much as I think or just because I am interested in how closely I can predict the weight or what something new might weigh -- again, I may be weird, but I find this fun and a normal part of the cooking process (I've always hated using measuring cups).

I have maintained for 18 months and am starting to log again because for me it's motivation to keep a deficit (or I am hoping it will be), since like I said I find tracking interesting.

What was your real point in starting this thread if not to insult those of us who find weighing worth doing?

wsh5dqs3jytf.jpg
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    IMHO in regards to OP, the sucess and failures are not "counting calories fault". It is what ever was missed during those two years needed to keep the weight off that is the missing equation.

My next thing is being on a calorie counting site, there is only a big deal about logging when we talk about it here in the forums, its not a big deal in real life actually performing the task. I truly do not make a deal about this at all, its like brushing my teeth, its a simple task that I do to carry on everyday living.

And in regards to a plateau, it is usually that person is not using the food scale with the MFP app, they using measuring cups and spoons or eyeballing, and usually almost always eating more than they think. There is underestimation in calories in and overestimation of calories out. Its not a pain for these people, they just do know or understand the process to begin with and how it all works.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    The only downside i have found with weighing and logging is keeping to those numbers because that's what it says in my diary.

For example, last night i made Goulash, i had logged 500g in my diary. As i was spooning it onto my plate i felt i could have stopped at 400g, but i kept adding because i had logged 500. This is something i have to nip in the bud!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Bless their hearts!
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Lovely.

A thread patronising those that continously patronise others.

haha.
This discussion has been closed.