Losing weight and not needing to weigh food

Options
cee134
cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
I see some people making a 2nd job out of measuring and weighing. When I lost 100 lbs in 2 - 3 years. I didn't weigh my food once. I'm not saying it's not helpful at times. I did have an idea of my measurements (a cup of food was my most common) but eating healthy and giving myself alittle kcal cushion was what worked. I feel sorry for those people that weigh everything, all the time.

I know when you are closer to your goal weight it can make more of a difference. But after gaining back the weight I lost (in a 2 year span, for reasons like not logging at all) I have been able to lose another 30 lbs, still not weighing.

I think sometimes people make too much of a deal about measuring. Has anyone measured their food and logged
routinely for 8+ years?

My concern is my goal, to eat healthy and do what I need to to lose weight and than keep it off, and be able to keep that up for decades (i.e. the rest of my life). I can't imagine weighing food for so long.

I thought, after losing 100 lbs, I had an idea of portions, but it turns out I did not if I wasn't logging my food.

Replies

• cee134
    Options
    i am really confused about your post. so you dont understand people who log all the time?
    but then you said at the end after losing 100 pounds you still didnt understand portion control if you weren't logging.
    did i read this wrong?

That has to do with people that would say, after weighing for a long time they have an idea of portions. Well after counting and measuring for a long time, I thought I did too, but I was wrong. Also if I didn't see how much calories a meal had, I might over eat, thinking I wasn't eating as much as I was.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    i am really confused about your post. so you dont understand people who log all the time?
    but then you said at the end after losing 100 pounds you still didnt understand portion control if you weren't logging.
    did i read this wrong?

That has to do with people that would say, after weighing for a long time they have an idea of portions. Well after counting and measuring for a long time, I thought I did too, but I was wrong. Also if I didn't see how much calories a meal had, I might over eat, thinking I wasn't eating as much as I was.

ok so then why do you feel sorry for people who log if it works?
  • cee134
    Options
    FYI - I never said you where wrong to measure. I do find there is a growing tread where newbies feel like they have to measure to lose weight. I think, if that works for you great. But I know it doesn't work for everyone, and for those people, I don't want to see them give up because they can't weigh their food for reasons. I'm letting those people know there is more then one way.

I wanted to get an idea about what people thought about weighing food. And most importantly, what they planed to do in the future after they started to maintain their weight. I would like to know if there are long term people that still weight, I'm betting there is not.
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Are you going to use a measuring cup for the rest of your life? Weight is just a different (and for me, better) way of accounting for what I'm eating. I set my container on the scale and dump the food in. Instead of a cup I use a scale. Realistically, the scale is more accurate.

No, I don't weigh everything I eat anymore. But my food scale is still in the same spot in the kitchen. It's always available if I think I'm beginning to be a little to generous with my portions.

I hope/think the ultimate goal for all of us is to be in control of our eating habits and not need scales or measuring cups for the majority of our life. But MFP helps teach methods that you can fall back on should you notice you unintentionally start gaining back what you lost.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    FYI - I never said you where wrong to measure. I do find there is a growing tread where newbies feel like they have to measure to lose weight. I think, if that works for you great. But I know it doesn't work for everyone, and for those people, I don't want to see them give up because they can't weigh their food for reasons. I'm letting those people know there is more then one way.

I wanted to get an idea about what people thought about weighing food. And most importantly, what they planed to do in the future after they started to maintain their weight. I would like to know if there are long term people that still weight, I'm betting there is not.

some people are great at eyeballing and some people arent. If you are one of those people who are not and want to lose weight and are not , then logging is the way to go. as soon as you learn to eyeball then away you go. after all i know many slim people who have never logged in their life
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to log all the time then I'd suggest trying to maintain your weight within a 10 margin. Instead of trying to maintain a weight of 135, try to maintain your weight between 130-140 (for example). If you are nearing or at your upper level, then you know you need to cut back your calories a bit.

This is how I maintain weight without weighing, measuring or logging. Trying to eat a consistent number of calories per day or week and/or weighing/measuring/logging everything I eat seemed like having a second job to me so I knew there was no way it was going to be sustainable. I don't feel sorry for people who weigh/log though. Different strokes and all that.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Wait until you're around 5-10lbs away from your goal weight. Then you'll be grateful for the accuracy a food scale gives you.

I don't know how much longer I'll be weighing and logging my food. I've been doing it for 2yrs now and i still enjoy it, it also doesn't rule my life though. I also look forward to prelogging my day every morning, it's the first thing i do after turning on the computer.
    Once doing this starts to feel like a chore or second job then i will revisit stopping.

I think it's awesome if someone can get down to their goal weight in a timely manner, and stay there, without weighing or logging their food. For these people owning a food scale would be pointless.
This discussion has been closed.