Losing weight and not needing to weigh food

Options

Replies

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh my food either. I weighed cheese for a week until I could eyeball an oz. Right now I don't eat my exercise calories back 1. for overage or wrong estimation and 2. because I'm just walking and I have plenty of fat storage to fuel me right now.

I'm not saying I won't weigh my food or eat back my exercise calories, I'm just not doing it now and see no need to yet. This is going to be a life way of eating so I'm taking this year of logging my food to try and learn portions and approximate calories so that hopefully one day I can eat intuitively.

We will see how it goes:).
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    So what I'm hearing is your way is right and everyone should find it as easy to weigh as you do? And my way is wrong because it didn't work because I shared that I gained back my weight and had 100 lbs to lose, for reasons I didn't come close to sharing, but than was fat shamed at one point?
    I could just as easily say I feel sorry for people who have 100+ pounds to lose to begin with but that isn't reflective of how I actually feel and it would be quite callous of me to do so.

This is the point of my whole post, there is more then one way to lose weight, and some people feel like they have to weigh when they don't. They are also way more likely to give up because of the hassle of weighing everything.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Many of us are on here because at some point we lost track of "normal" portions and started adding in a little more pasta here "because I've had a hard day" and an extra large piece of cake "to tidy it up". I always weigh cereal, pasta, rice - those things which are hard to judge. For meat I allocate myself a proportion of the total weight cooked (so if I cooked 500g mince, then 125g) but give myself the smallest portion to be on the safe side. If I'm making a cheese sandwich I put the bread on the food scale then ad the cheese and log that weight - I might think I cut 30g but the scale shows me I've cut 45-50g. Multiply that across weeks and months and that's a lot of extra cheese!

No-one is saying you have to log everything every day of your life. What most of us are saying is that weighing and logging helps us from slipping back down the slippery slope. We've gone to a lot of effort to get to where we are, why would we diss the tools that helped us do it?

I've been weighing and logging for over three years now. Please don't feel sorry for me - save your pity for those who decide they can manage without it and then wonder where it all went wrong when they put the weight back on. I accept I lean towards the greedy and am just thankful I found a way to control it rather than just buying bigger clothes every year and wondering why my joints ached and I couldn't walk so far.

Baking is also much more reliable if you weigh rather than use measuring cups, just in case anyone wondered :)
  • RBO1101
    RBO1101 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am still weighing and measuring because I don't feel that I trust myself to know the rough exact of portions yet. I don't think I obsess about it because I am still retraining myself.
  • gillie80
    gillie80 Posts: 214 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    no what you're hearing is that people don't want you to feel sorry for them if they weigh their food and that you shouldn't if it works for them.

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    LaceyBirds wrote: »
    cee134 wrote: »
    So what I'm hearing is your way is right and everyone should find it as easy to weigh as you do? And my way is wrong because it didn't work because I shared that I gained back my weight and had 100 lbs to lose, for reasons I didn't come close to sharing, but than was fat shamed at one point?

What, you don't like being shamed? Yet you start a thread to shame a huge percentage of the MFP community who uses a food scale? Really?
    This is the point of my whole post, there is more then one way to lose weight, and some people feel like they have to weigh when they don't. They are also way more likely to give up because of the hassle of weighing everything.

No, that was not the point of your post, the point of your post was to show that you are better than other people, and that many MFP members are to be pitied for doing something that you don't do yourself. There was nothing altruistic about your post. But nice try to redirect.

The OP seems to like to challenge the common MFP advice.
  • zalmann919
    zalmann919 Posts: 24 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I also look forward to prelogging my day every morning, it's the first thing i do after turning on the computer.

I've recently started doing this, at least for some meals. This makes meal preparation easier, since I've already made certain decisions ahead of time (will that be 15g or 25g of air popped popcorn?) though certain things, like the weight of a chicken breast or or an egg still needs as it were in situ measurement. But it's perfect for things that I weigh out like soups and pre-cooked dishes. Saves time, lessens the work, reduces stress. Best of all, I can pretty much guarantee that I'll be under my goal at the end of the day. No surprises.

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I'm short and middle aged. I must weigh my foods because there is almost no margin of error. People with more leeway might be able to get away with not measuring sometimes.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I have an appetite that far outweighs my physical abilities therefore I need to log and weigh most of my food to stay even. Can I do it without weighing? Yup, but I would probably under-eat rather than over-eat trying to get portion sizes correct. Weighing wasn't really necessary the first 50 lbs or so I lost (I was 120 lbs overweight at the beginning) but as I got closer to my goal it became much harder to lose the weight without being more accurate in my measurements. If you are able to lose the weight at the rate you want without weighing your food, then I'd say good for you! If you can't though, weighing and logging can help. The real trick will be transitioning into not weighing or logging food at maintenance, and that is going to take some time for me. Likely another year. I've been at maintenance and in a recomposition phase for a few months. It's working but wouldn't be if I wasn't weighing and logging everything.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I like using a mix of weighing and portioning.
    Anything individually wrapped, I don't weight (like granola bars... except is instant oatmeal since I know that my brand can be way off). Anything I cook, I weigh while cooking. But once it's cooked I say I eat 1 portion of it, regardless if that portion is more or less than I think. If I end up eating the whole recipe, I figure it'll balance out. I've recently started backing off of weighing everything. I no longer weigh my apples.. sort of. I weight 1 of them in the batch and use that weight for all of them. When I buy a new batch, especially if it looks like a different size, I weigh it.

However, I'm tall enough and heavy enough that I don't really need the specifics of weighing. Once I lose 10 lbs, I'll likely need to go back to weighing pretty much everything.

My theory is I probably don't want to weigh food all my life... so I want to try to teach myself how to control my weight without weighing all of my food. But I will still track it.

I lost 25 lbs before never weighing anything.. but I also overestimate the calories in the food items when doing this. That's not something everyone will do. And I actually get to eat more when I do weigh my food. However, since starting to weigh my food, I've found calorie counting more stressful. So I'm slowly working my way back to not weighing since I actually had more success with that and have really been struggling (mentally) lately. It's a brain game for me. Less of a physical one.

I think people should be open to trying new things. If not weighing their food isn't working for them, then it's time to start. If weighing isn't working for them... maybe new ideas are needed. They may or may not still include weighing food.
  • cee134
    edited August 2016
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    This seems to be an emotional subject. But weighing and logging food works for all walks of life.
    Yeah... I was just trying to point out that it was still possible to lose weight without weighing food. Even when very close to the goal weight. I didn't realize it would make some people lose their *kitten*.
  • Therealobi1
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    This seems to be an emotional subject. But weighing and logging food works for all walks of life.
    Yeah... I was just trying to point out that it was still possible to lose weight without weighing food. Even when very close to the goal weight. I didn't realize it would make some people lose their *kitten*.

but actually its you getting yourself upset.
    also as i said before you didnt right your OP well
  • cee134
    Options
    I'm also curious why people are so offended by what I feel sorry for? It's not like I'm saying, "Man, those starving people in Africa and people that weigh their food really have it tough in life."
  • Therealobi1
    Options
    I'm also curious why people are so offended by what I feel sorry for? It's not like I'm saying, "Man, those starving people in Africa and people that weigh their food really have it tough in life."

could be this line. lol
    I see some people making a 2nd job out of measuring and weighing. When I lost 100 lbs in 2 - 3 years. I didn't weigh my food once.
This discussion has been closed.