Addicted to diet coke.. help :(

So today I went to a confectionery and bought a diet coke and the store owner and my dad started giving me a lecture about how its bad for me , causes diabetes , weight gain etc.
I am kinda worried now as I am literally addicted and love it and its all I drink since I really hate water :( I drink about 4 Litres a day ( I know its a lot ). Anyone has an idea regarding what I can do ?

Replies

• healthy491
    healthy491 Posts: 384 Member
    It took my husband 3 separate attempts to kick it. If people brush it off like its no big deal, just know that its not in your head. I watched my husband try and fail twice. Its no joke. That stuff is chemically balanced with the caffeine and sugar and who knows what else to make you crave it. BUT I will say, he quit all soda, has been diet soda (and soda free) for years and is very happy he quit. You don't realize the hold it has on you until you stop drinking it! And he says that now that he's done with it, he really doesn't know what he liked about it. He's had a little since then, and other sodas too, and he can't even drink them any more. We don't drink any sweet beverages, so no sweetened coffee/tea, no soda or juice. We do drink seltzer, and we put stuff in our water like fruit and lemon and such. I say go for it, and fight the good fight! You will save a bunch of money without it, and you will feel better for having done it!

Wow , that takes a lot of determination. I dont want to do that tho. I've got a really sweet tooth and would just end up indulging in sugary stuff
  • healthy491
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    doesn't cause weight gain, doesn't cause diabetes, doesn't cause cancer, etc. etc. etc.

The only worry i'd have consuming the amount you're talking about is the damage to your teeth or potential Reflux/Acid symptoms.

Really ? Thanks :) literally EVERYONE tells me how bad it is for my health and that I should stop
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    What is it that you don't like about water? Is it that it's boring and flavorless? Or does it actually taste BAD to you?
  • healthy491
    healthy491 wrote: »
    doesn't cause weight gain, doesn't cause diabetes, doesn't cause cancer, etc. etc. etc.

The only worry i'd have consuming the amount you're talking about is the damage to your teeth or potential Reflux/Acid symptoms.

Really ? Thanks :) literally EVERYONE tells me how bad it is for my health and that I should stop

yeah, there is a lot of misinformation and ignorance out there when it comes to nutrition in general. There's a reason people still believe all kinds of crazy nonsense: "eat breakfast every day" "dont eat after 6" "you have to eat 6 small meals a day", i could go on.

Is it ideal to drink the amount you are? Especially for your teeth and stomach acid level? No, but it certainly doesn't have to be cut out completely. Learning to moderate your intake will be vital.

My suggestion is to force yourself to drink the same volume of water before drinking a diet coke. Want a 12 oz can of diet coke? Drink a 12 oz water first, if you still want a diet coke, then drink it. This will help cut down the volume pretty quickly.

Thanks a lot :) but the problem is I cant stand water.. it makes me sick
  • healthy491
    What is it that you don't like about water? Is it that it's boring and flavorless? Or does it actually taste BAD to you?

Both I guess
  • healthy491
    It is a zero calorie drink. It cannot cause weight gain. There are some studies that show that sweeteners can increase the chances of cancer. However there are others that show the complete opposite. FYI - I drink zero calorie drinks by the boat load to help control cravings when dieting.

Thanks a lot :) some people imply it slows down your metabolism
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member

All of this
  • healthy491
    daniip_la wrote: »
    That stuff is chemically balanced with the caffeine and sugar and who knows what else to make you crave it.

That makes no sense, whatsoever.

Diet soda doesn't have sugar, and some have caffeine but usually less (per volume) than coffee. Craving something doesn't always mean that it's bad, you might just really like it and want more. I'm craving cabbage right now, most definitely not because it's been modified to make me want more of it.

To the OP, you're going to get a lot of people throwing fake science at you to support their beliefs that diet sodas are bad. While I agree that you might be drinking so much of them that it'll hurt your teeth, they won't make you gain weight. Diet sodas personally help me to keep my calories in check by cutting my craving for sweets.

Thanks so much for answering me :) ! Its like everytime I am convinced that diet soda is fine , someone comes up with an article about how bad it is for me !
  • JamesMonozyme
    JamesMonozyme Posts: 14 Member
    healthy491 wrote: »
    So today I went to a confectionery and bought a diet coke and the store owner and my dad started giving me a lecture about how its bad for me , causes diabetes , weight gain etc.
    I am kinda worried now as I am literally addicted and love it and its all I drink since I really hate water :( I drink about 4 Litres a day ( I know its a lot ). Anyone has an idea regarding what I can do ?

I had this problem too, it will simply cause you more stress and will make you crave sweet foods/drinks thus leading you to drink more of the diet soda. Advice is to simply stop, that's how I got over it. It took me a few weeks to no longer crave it but I'm glad to be out of that cycle now as my cravings became sky-high during that period, whereas now I can manage it.
  • judycube
    judycube Posts: 1 Member
    I drink Diet Coke and am still losing weight! I drink that and water. I have done this for years. When I go to a restaurant that doesn't serve Diet Coke I have to have water, lol.
  • Samanthor
    Samanthor Posts: 85 Member
    What concerns me isn't the drinking soda, but the lack of water. We need it! If you've never had it regularly your whole life, you probably don't realize what it's like to not be dehydrated, which effects you on both the physical and mental level. I REALLY REALLY think you should try to learn to drink it, even if you start with just a few ounces a day. I think the suggestion above to drink one glass of water for every glass of coke is a good one. I know lots of people flavor their water--maybe you could try that! Or like I said, start with just a few ounces a day and try to work your way up to more. Water is very important to our mental and physical well being--dehydration makes you very crabby--I am urging you to overcome this.