Propranalol (please respond only if you have or are taking this med)

Options
2»

Replies

• mypeep
    mypeep Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I've taken Propranolol ER 60 mg at bedtime for migraines. It helped and I had no issues with fatigue or weight gain. It definitely helped to take it at night to avoid any potential side effects
  • aerisgau3
    aerisgau3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Propanolol works on beta 1 & beta 2 receptors, which are found in the heart, blood vessels and lung tissue, plus others(minor). It slows down heart rate and reduces how hard the heart works and the oxygen needs of the heart, this causes lower blood pressure, which can initially cause fatigue/lightheadedness. It can also reduced blood pressure to the liver(a good thing). It can exacerbate asthma though and any simulates that act like epinephrine can cause hypertensive episodes, so be very cautious. It also has some indirect actions like blocking renin release, so you're less likely to retain water (helps with the weightloss). It's also been shown to increase oxygen delivery to tissues (another plus). It also helps with anxiety issues (though not certain, they think it's due to less prostaglandin release. Aka less stress triggers). Long story short, don't overdue your cardio and stay aware of what your body is telling you and you should have no problems with your weightloss goals. Hope that helps!

• Wombat468
    Wombat468 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I took it for migraines. I didn't become any hungrier, but found it very hard to lose weight on it despite being in a calorie deficit.
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I was on another beta-blocker, Metoprolol, for several years to slow my heart rate and I maintained my weight during that time - a high weight, but I maintained it. I was able to lose about 55 pounds while I was on them, and that weight loss combined with the drug made my blood pressure drop too low, so my doctor took me off of them and I don't need them any longer. If you do take them, and take them for a long time, make sure you wean slowly off of them as discontinuation can lead to suddenly increased blood pressure and heart rate.
  • ccjlgrider
    ccjlgrider Posts: 49 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I take propranolol 140mg/day for migraines. I can still lose weight on it. I'm down 10 and have 10 to go. My resting heart rate on it is about 58-60. I have a hard time getting my HR above 150. My HR also takes a while to climb so the beginning of a cardio workout can be tough. I try to time my cardio for when I'm on the downhill side of my meds. Propranolol ER only lasts about 18 hrs, maybe a smidge more. It peaks at 10-12 hrs. I take 80mg in the AM after my workout (about 7:30) and 60mg at 3-4pm if I am going to run the next morning. So that I'm about 15 hrs into that dose when I run. That helps a bit. I still have some med on board because I'm at steady state but I'm trying to exercise in the valley. If I run in the peak, I feel like I'm dragging my arms and legs with 50 lb weights on each. I also take amitriptyline which makes my heart rate run high so that's probably how I can tolerate such a hefty dose at 5'5" and 150 lbs. Don't mess with your dose timing unless you ok it with your doc though.
  • Ponkeen
    Ponkeen Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    ccjlgrider wrote: »
    I take propranolol 140mg/day for migraines. I can still lose weight on it. I'm down 10 and have 10 to go. My resting heart rate on it is about 58-60. I have a hard time getting my HR above 150. My HR also takes a while to climb so the beginning of a cardio workout can be tough. I try to time my cardio for when I'm on the downhill side of my meds. Propranolol ER only lasts about 18 hrs, maybe a smidge more. It peaks at 10-12 hrs. I take 80mg in the AM after my workout (about 7:30) and 60mg at 3-4pm if I am going to run the next morning. So that I'm about 15 hrs into that dose when I run. That helps a bit. I still have some med on board because I'm at steady state but I'm trying to exercise in the valley. If I run in the peak, I feel like I'm dragging my arms and legs with 50 lb weights on each. I also take amitriptyline which makes my heart rate run high so that's probably how I can tolerate such a hefty dose at 5'5" and 150 lbs. Don't mess with your dose timing unless you ok it with your doc though.

That's really interesting to hear. I went to the gym this morning a few hours after taking the morning dose and worked out, but it did feel a little...meh. I didn't quite 'get there.' I guess my main concern is the weight loss as I'm not training for anything specific, just to be healthy, but it's good to know and be aware of.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Ponkeen wrote: »
    I was recently prescribed propranolol to help with migraines and anxiety. Does anyone else take this, or a similar beta blocker, and could you tell me what effect it has had on your weight (if any)?
    The internet has some mixed answers to this question, but as I am still losing weight I don't want to sabotage my efforts by taking the wrong medication. I am taking 80mg per day, so a fairly low dose.
    Thanks!

Yes, I take propranolol 2x daily for anxiety and migraines and it has had absolutely no affect on my weight at all. It doesn't even affect my appetite. Actually, it doesn't really affect my energy, either.