are squats overrated?

Options

Replies

• hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    The main downside I see to squats (and deadlifts) is that they soak up a lot of energy (during work out and recovery), meaning less for muscle groups that aren't involved in these exercises (chest, triceps, biceps, deltoids) - the ones most guys are interested in focusing on.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    The main downside I see to squats (and deadlifts) is that they soak up a lot of energy (during work out and recovery), meaning less for muscle groups that aren't involved in these exercises (chest, triceps, biceps, deltoids) - the ones most guys are interested in focusing on.

So better to skip legs day then?
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options

Not trying to tell anyone how to run things, but couldn't they just do those upper-body exercises first?

Or on another day like so many programs.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    leg press is better

no...

It is. You can put on every plate in the gym so it's a much better workout and indicator of strength. If you're going to squat over leg press, at least make sure you use the Smith machine for better form.

This is probably why power lifters are always boasting about how much they can leg press....

The squat is a full body compound movement...the leg press just works the legs...they both have their place, but I can guarantee you that someone doing 300 Lbs on a leg press won't come close to that on a squat...but someone who can squat 300 Lbs will be able to press much more than that on a leg press.

No powerlifters usually squat which is why they are generally weaker overall than the guys on the leg press doing 8 plates.

The guy doing the press isn't going to be able to squat what the guy squatting, squats...the guy squatting will generally easily be able to press more than the guy pressing...the guy squatting is going to be overall stronger and more powerful.

How can he press more than the guy pressing if he only squats? If he's moving less weight, is he truly stronger?

Trolls gonna troll...

mamacitapic1.jpg
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

One should prioritize exercises in a workout. Squats and deadlifts will provide so much more bang the buck in overall strength and muscle growth than isolation exercises for the biceps, triceps and delts.
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    lazsommer, just keep leg pressing you'll get stronger than everyone in the world, good luck to you.

I already am stronger than most people because I do crossfit. They don't have a leg press at my box (a special crossfit gym if you didn't know that), so I have a dual membership at Planet Fitness to use their leg press machine.

mmcssix5is9p.jpg
  • megcorey
    megcorey Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Don't have any specific criticisms of squats, just didn't find them as 'life-changing' as others seem to, and found fast short-distance running and cycling just as good for building up legs

Squats do not just build up your legs.

If you are using sufficient weight, squats are a compound lift that put stress on and build up the strength in your upper & lower back, spinal erectors, abdominals, hips, quads, hamstrings, calves and glutes.

So, they are not an isolation movement for the legs only and, if that's all you're interested in, you can certainly dispense w/them but, if you're interested in developong overall body strength, I don't think you can do w/o them.

Yep!!
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options

Maybe, but the majority of guys and gals that I know (and some that have responded in this thread) are interested in overall strength and that includes squats and deadz. Both have gotten me (and others I've talked to) stronger overall, lower body AND upper body.
    Past most beginner programs you'll not see upper and lower on the same day.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I've never seen small legs on anyone squatting 400lbs.

I've never seen small legs on anyone moving an enormous amount of weight on any leg exercise. :+1:

Weird, I have. Quite often actually.

Yep, same here. And what, pray tell, is your definition of an enormous amount of weight. Because that's subjective.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

0lujagpu00na.jpeg
  • bketchum1981
    bketchum1981 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    When you can't squat or walk up stairs, doing squats can be life changing because they get you to the point where you can do all the things you couldn't do before.

^^^This!!! Totally agree. Squats can take you to a new level of fitness!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

5ckl1f7laetb.png
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Personally, my knees are too chewed up. I just have to accept slower progress with less strenuous things. For those with good knees, squats seem pretty useful.
  • Anya_000
    Anya_000 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I tore my ACL two years ago, and had it replaced. My physical therapist told me, "you'd better make friends with the squat." Squats, done properly, are great for stabilizing the knees. I can't speak for anyone else's situation, but for me, it's been true. I'm able to dance weekly, hike etc. post ACL repair. I just consider squats my maintenance for functionality.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

5ckl1f7laetb.png

One word: Periodization
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I've always had bad/weak knees. Too many injuries when I was young coupled with arthritis. When I started exercising, I tried doing squats. Took several months but my knees are feeling excellent now. I do have to have a wider stance and have to point my toes out about 30 degrees in order to not injure them, but my knees are getting stronger and I haven't had any bad days (knee pops out of place or feels like I have glass shards in it) in months.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Squats have helped me a lot! Getting up off the floor was a challenge for me. One day I was on the floor playing with my cat, went to get up and realized it wasn't a chore and actually startled myself at how fast I got up. Feeling the power in your legs is incredible.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    lazsommer, just keep leg pressing you'll get stronger than everyone in the world, good luck to you.

I already am stronger than most people because I do crossfit. They don't have a leg press at my box (a special crossfit gym if you didn't know that), so I have a dual membership at Planet Fitness to use their leg press machine.

Have you considered veganism to get that next level nutrition based advantage?

Actually I'm paleo-IS (intermittent starving). See, our ancestors didn't eat all this processed food and agricultural crap, but they also didn't have their food readily available. People are denying their genetic needs by eating regularly - hunter gatherers made gains while starving between meals. It's how the body was designed to live.

I find that it's best to wait at least 4 days between meals, and then rush into my local grocery store and rip open a pack of steaks right at the butcher. Our ancestors had to hunt and eat with adrenaline rushing, and I find this gives a boost to my metabolism.
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

5ckl1f7laetb.png

One word: Periodization

Isn't his the one with the wounded vet who was recovering? I get the sentiment of the meme, but this particular one needs to die