Why does everybody detest low carb diets? They are the only thing that works for me

I feel like people freak out when you tell them you are on an extremely low calorie diet, Atkins, etc. I catch the wrath from friends and family, and even online communities, that low carb diets are so bad for you but honestly it's the only thing that works for me and I feel better so why not!

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    My boss has great success with it. I couldn't and wouldn't even try it. I hate the fact I couldn't eat what I liked. I do worry about her micro levels though as she doesn't eat offal type meats and only green vegetables.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Cutting carbs in favor of protein can be more satiating and help you attain your deficit. But cutting carbs to the extreme and putting your body in a ketogenic state is not long-term sustainable if you want to be healthy so as a result you aren't really building up the habits that will help you to maintain your health for the remainder of your life. Better to just cut carbs a little than to go to extremes in my opinion. Add some protein, cut some carbs, but don't avoid carbs like they are the enemy...they aren't.

Do you have any, but any peer reviewed evidence to back this up?

I've been on a ketogenic diet for well over a year now, training hard for ultra cycling.

I've read your other post about exercise vs diet as being the prime determinant for weight loss. that was quite funny.

• lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    The hate is not for the diet itself, but for the ridiculous claims around it. Different people thrive on different diets and that's a fact. For some, that's low carb, and that's great. The hate is for the widespread misinformation around it, like you have to go low carb to lose weight, that it's better than some other diet for everyone, that it somehow defies the laws of physics, cures all ailments, that everyone who isn't eating low carb is always hungry, that the results aren't as good on other diets for everyone...etc.

You will find other diets that circulate similarly ridiculous claims get the same amount of criticism like Paleo, vegan, gluten free, restricting certain foods...etc even though they work brilliantly for some people. It's more in the vein of "it's not necessary" than "you shouldn't do it". If you are doing well on it and liking it, that's completely different than deeming that level of restriction necessary for everyone.

People are generally encouraged to experiment with various approaches and macro balances and find what works for them, which may as well be low carb for some.

I'm seeing a parade of straw men...
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    To be fair, when you say it's the only thing that works for you, it is a little different because you do have a medical condition that low carb eating is recommended for.

where does it say that anyone has a medical condition? did i miss something?