Why does everybody detest low carb diets? They are the only thing that works for me

Replies

• tjsterch
    tjsterch Posts: 18 Member
    I'm on a low carb diet prescribed by my doctor. I have been on it for 4 months now, have lost 52 pounds. I'm almost at the halfway mark :) "Mentally" I have missed some things (sweets, bread, etc) but my body has not missed anything. I take vitamins daily, and I am being followed up by my doctor to make sure I don't have deficiencies.

About 10 years ago, I did the Adkins diet. Loved it, felt great! I say do whatever is successful for you. Good luck B)
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    I'm diabetic. Doctor and diabetes center said I need to cut bad carbs (the white stuff) and watch the good carbs. So I'm cutting carbs to live and not get a foot amputated or have any other diabetes complications.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited August 2016
    ksz1104 wrote: »
    I'm diabetic. Doctor and diabetes center said I need to cut bad carbs (the white stuff) and watch the good carbs. So I'm cutting carbs to live and not get a foot amputated or have any other diabetes complications.

Of course. Healthy eyes, feet, brain = good.

If you're a type 2 diabetic, you're carb intolerant. Telling you not to eat low-carb is like telling an alcoholic to follow the steak-and-vodka Drinking Man's Diet .... which is a long way from the worst diet out there for diabetics. ;)
  • RalfLott
    ^^^ I agree that >insert diet< evangelism is irritating..
    If you don't eat my way you will die a long, painful death and live a life of fatness before burning in hell :wink:

ETA: People on both sides need to lighten up :smile:

<3
  • Alienique
    Alienique Posts: 122 Member
    Low carb for me equals low energy, which renders me unlikely to have an effective workout session and that, for me, is the biggest determinant of whether or not I will meet my calorie goal. But that's just me. For some people, watching carbs is the only way they can make their calorie deficit - which, in case it hasn't yet been driven into your head by almost everyone on this site (lol), is the only thing that matters when it comes to weight loss.
  • RalfLott
    If it works for you then that's great :smile:
    As long as its something you can consistently do long term then you won't regain. I've just seen too many slip back into old habits and re-gain what they'd lost...
    We have to find something that works for us that we can consistently do for the rest of our lives imo.

I don't know how this refreshing oasis of sanity got overlooked, but thanks.
  • RalfLott
    Here are my theories:
    1. They detest things they don't understand
    2. People foo foo anything that doesn't align with their own beliefs/ways
    3. When they see a low carb thread their eyes light up because they know a debate is forthcoming and want to be involved.
    4. They believe carbs affect EVERYBODY equally.
    5. They can not fathom reducing their carbs and thinks anyone who does this is cray cray
    6. They complain about the influx of low carb posts, but make sure they click on, and are involved in each and every one of those threads.

There may also be a drive to silence the whispering voice warning that the awaiting pair of Twinkies/hunk of fudge, etc., might actually not be such great choices.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited August 2016
    I'm not a proponent of low-carb diets, but I'm also not you. So, I can't say what is best for you, because you are not me.

For me? I'm 10% body fat and I consume 250 grams of carbs per day. Works for me, so I stick to it. My body fat was much higher with low or moderate carbs eating the same amount of calories. Whether it was 80 grams or 250 grams, 1510 a day, my body fat has dropped 30% once I upped my carbs, dropped my fat, and left my protein alone.

I also have more energy on high carb, I don't need to drink 7 cups of coffee, don't need to take naps. I'm practically the energizer bunny, now. Low carb I was fighting constant fatigue and drowsiness. I had no energy to lift heavy. I couldn't do cardio worth a damn. Blah.
  • chezzac17
    chezzac17 Posts: 98 Member
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    I don't have an issue with low carb at all if it works for you

I do admittedly have the following issues

1) the prevailing nonsense that in order to lose weight one has to cut carbs ...it's a ridiculous concept that had seeped so far into the public domain that people from all walks of life, including medics, spout it as a solution to weight loss

2) the excitement at rapid scale weight drops that people often hit you with in the first few weeks when it's mainly.water weight manipulation and studies comparing to low fat as a diet show the rate of loss equalises by week 12 ...eg there is no long term speed benefits

3) for me personally the impossibility of long term adherence and how rapidly weight swings back once one eats carbs ...the approach always made me yo-yo badly :( and I'm finally at a solution to my weight that gives me long term adherence over temporary weight loss.

I have gone low carb a number of times for periods between 3 months and about 11 months but always 'fell off' eventually and ended up fatter than before I started. And the speed at which that weight was regained always shocked me. Every time I restarted I did so with the mindset of 'this time I know what I'm doing, I just need to get to x weight,this time I will stick to it'

4) the bro-science claims around biological responses to carbs in those without specific medical conditions

Hope that helps

Hi There...what would you say would be a good carb per grams...meaning MFP gives me 160grams>>this seems to high to me? whats your thoughts? I have read a low carb diet is around 40 grams? but that seems low.....thanks
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    chezzac17 wrote: »

1) the prevailing nonsense that in order to lose weight one has to cut carbs ...it's a ridiculous concept that had seeped so far into the public domain that people from all walks of life, including medics, spout it as a solution to weight loss

2) the excitement at rapid scale weight drops that people often hit you with in the first few weeks when it's mainly.water weight manipulation and studies comparing to low fat as a diet show the rate of loss equalises by week 12 ...eg there is no long term speed benefits

3) for me personally the impossibility of long term adherence and how rapidly weight swings back once one eats carbs ...the approach always made me yo-yo badly :( and I'm finally at a solution to my weight that gives me long term adherence over temporary weight loss.

I have gone low carb a number of times for periods between 3 months and about 11 months but always 'fell off' eventually and ended up fatter than before I started. And the speed at which that weight was regained always shocked me. Every time I restarted I did so with the mindset of 'this time I know what I'm doing, I just need to get to x weight,this time I will stick to it'

4) the bro-science claims around biological responses to carbs in those without specific medical conditions

Hope that helps

Hi There...what would you say would be a good carb per grams...meaning MFP gives me 160grams>>this seems to high to me? whats your thoughts? I have read a low carb diet is around 40 grams? but that seems low.....thanks

Low cab is considered to be below 100-150g per day. Below 50g is considered very low carb or ketogenic.
  • chezzac17
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Moderately low carb (100 - 125), higher protein works for me. And to stay on point in the question that was asked, I do not detest low carb diets. I have tried it, it was horrible for me and I detested getting through the carb flu, how it may be feel even after that was over, not being able to exercise and perform well, so I guess I wussed out after a couple of months. Found a happy medium.

What works for you and is sustainable to you, your lifestyle, exercise and being sane is all that matters.

You have answered my question ...thanks ...I have seen some low carb diets at 40grams !..I might just lower what MFP says..and use your 100-125....great !
  • chezzac17
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    chezzac17 wrote: »

Hope that helps

Low cab is considered to be below 100-150g per day. Below 50g is considered very low carb or ketogenic.

oh dear ...so glad you told me I did not know that....thanks very much...no more cutting out bread lol
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    If you find something that works for you, who cares what other people think? I am also low carb, but sometimes eat a bit more if I am consistently active. I also have to get my carbs from tubers and starchy veggies as I can't handle grains of any kind. I have never felt better though. Does that mean carbs are poison? Of course not. Does that mean my methods work for everyone? Nope. Let people criticize, and you just do you.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    "Why does everybody detest low carb diets?"

Apart from the diet evangalism already mentioned (which, to be fair, applies to to other diet evangilists too,not just low carb ones) I personally would detest a low carb diet, because I like too many carb foods - and fortunately I do not have a medical conditon which precludes me eating them ( within my calorie limit, of course)

"They are the only thing that works for me"

Thats good. Happy for you.

For me, however, my own non low carb diet is working well for me, so I'll stick with that.
  • sbubenchik
    sbubenchik Posts: 75 Member
    Don't listen to anyone that is negative about low carb. I've been doing it for years and I feel fantastic. It's extremely healthy for your body. All the carbs I get are from veggies. I get moderate protein and a good amount of fat. I have way more energy than I did years ago with eating a bunch of worthless processed carbs and grains. It's very sustainable, anyone that says it's not has no clue what they're talking about or how the human body works.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    sbubenchik wrote: »
    Don't listen to anyone that is negative about low carb. I've been doing it for years and I feel fantastic. It's extremely healthy for your body. All the carbs I get are from veggies. I get moderate protein and a good amount of fat. I have way more energy than I did years ago with eating a bunch of worthless processed carbs and grains. It's very sustainable, anyone that says it's not has no clue what they're talking about or how the human body works.

It's true, low carb can be healthy, but "worthless" is subjective. To me, personally, any fat beyond what is required to make food taste good is worthless. Fat is tends to be attached to way fewer nutrients than grains, and grains are important for my satiety.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    sbubenchik wrote: »

Going from a very nutrient poor diet to a nutrient dense diet is a good reason why you would see increases in energy. That can be said about any diet. It's pretty much the reason why every diet has that as a "side effect". And part is psychological since you are actively working to make better choices.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    I've slowly shifted to eating lower carbs. I don't find they add much value. I stay fuller eating more protein and fat. I'll have carbs but they're a much smaller portion of my calories. When I was obese I'd guess 70%+ of my calories were from carbs, today it's closer to 35%. Obviously YMMV.