Banned fatmakers vs lifestyle change

So i became overweight because i drank to much soda. It was the only drink for me starting in the morning and ending in the evening. Soda is defiantly my fatmakers. I cut these empty calories out and am also on a diet to get to my regular weight. I read a lot of people about lifestyle change and sustainability of their diet. I wonder if there are people who also have a particullarly fatmaker of their own. And are you worried about your normal eating habbits without these fatmaker. Do you call banning this fatmaker a lifestyle change?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    I replaced table sugar with Splenda and diet soda which helps me stay in a deficit.
  • TravisGM92
    TravisGM92 Posts: 143 Member
    I ate ice cream like crazy. I try not to eat ice cream in general (even low carb/sugar ice cream) cause the artificial sweeteners that are put in some ice creams or sweet treats do your body more harm.

But do I "ban" this food? Not particularly. I eat it E V E R Y O N C E I N A W H I L E.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »
    I cut out regular soda, but only because I prefer to spend my calories on food rather than drinks. Other than that, I still eat everything I ate at my highest weight, just less of it.

This.
  • Return2Fit
    Return2Fit Posts: 226 Member
    Breads and baked stuff...
    I have no ability to moderate these items. :o
    I am mostly eating whole foods now, because my focus is optimal health which is primarily what we eat.
    After coming back from being fat and sick, I never want to risk my health for the fleeting pleasures or convenience of processed junk foods.
    I eat whole foods about 70% of the time - close enough!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    So i became overweight because i drank to much soda. It was the only drink for me starting in the morning and ending in the evening. Soda is defiantly my fatmakers. I cut these empty calories out and am also on a diet to get to my regular weight. I read a lot of people about lifestyle change and sustainability of their diet. I wonder if there are people who also have a particullarly fatmaker of their own. And are you worried about your normal eating habbits without these fatmaker. Do you call banning this fatmaker a lifestyle change?

Sounds like a good approach to me, removing an unsatisfying calorie dense product as part of your change
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    You gained weight due to a surplus of calories, not because of soda.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2016
    My fatmaker was trying to just eat "healthily", without considering what I wanted. Of course I couldn't do that for very long, so I crashed and only ate what I wanted, without considering what I needed.

My lifestyle change was starting to eat what I want, when I need it.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member

Junk food was mine. I have definitely made a lifestyle change. I cut out everything I consider to be junk and that I know I don't want to eat anymore and not just to lose weight, but to be healthy.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    I don't think there's anything I've ditched completely. I was never a big soda drinker and nearly always went with the diet versions because I preferred them anyway (full fat coke makes my teeth furry, ack). My diet has always been pretty good from a "wide and varied" perspective, I just ate a little too much. Then I got sick and became totally sedentary and ate my feelings more than I used to and that lead to me going from overweight to obese. So I just eat less of all the things I used to.

There are things I try not to bring into the house in more than a single serving though because chances are if I'm compelled to buy 6 donuts it's because I'm trying to fill an emotional hole and that's when moderating can become an issue.
  • healthy491
    healthy491 Posts: 384 Member
    I did not cut out anything from my diet. The resason I gained weight was not because of a particular food. It was because I ate TOO MUCH of everything and ate even when I was not hungry without self control.
    I now eat whatever I want but stop when I feel satisfied :)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited August 2016
    I can't moderate very well anything that is considered a "confection" or anything labeled Lays or Doritos. These are pretty much banned unless the bag belongs to someone else and I am eating just a small bit.
  • TravisGM92
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    TravisGM92 wrote: »
    I ate ice cream like crazy. I try not to eat ice cream in general (even low carb/sugar ice cream) cause the artificial sweeteners that are put in some ice creams or sweet treats do your body more harm.

But do I "ban" this food? Not particularly. I eat it E V E R Y O N C E I N A W H I L E.
    Don't derail another thread with this nonsense. It's been thoroughly covered in another current (and many other past) threads, including responses by a molecular biologist with decades of experience in the field. It's BS.

As to the OP, I haven't cut anything out of my diet. Nothing whatsoever. I eat some things in considerably more moderation now, but I don't consider anything "forbidden".

? Whats your issue? I'm not derailing anything. I've heard artificial sweeteners do the body harm. I also choose to believe that. Is that a problem?
  • TravisGM92
    rainbowbow wrote: »

Don't derail another thread with this nonsense. It's been thoroughly covered in another current (and many other past) threads, including responses by a molecular biologist with decades of experience in the field. It's BS.

As to the OP, I haven't cut anything out of my diet. Nothing whatsoever. I eat some things in considerably more moderation now, but I don't consider anything "forbidden".

? Whats your issue? I'm not derailing anything. I've heard artificial sweeteners do the body harm. I also choose to believe that. Is that a problem?

Well it's not factually based... so there's that

Yet I choose to believe it. I'm entitled to my own opinions... and posting them as well
  • MeganCannon
    MeganCannon Posts: 29 Member
    Fast food was a huge fat maker for me even though 90% of the time it wasn't even worth all those calories. Going on a budget/being broke has helped me with this as much as going on a diet!
  • TravisGM92
    edited August 2016

Yet I choose to believe it. I'm entitled to my own opinions... and posting them as well

that's the thing. there's opinions and then there's fact.

I choose to believe there's a great big teapot in the sky that grants magical wishes to those who sing micheal jackson's thriller in A minor. That doesn't mean it's true and it certainly doesn't mean it's relevant to a discussion about physics or biology.

That's cool. People post their opinions on here all the time, yet you jump on me for posting about mine?

I will gladly "jump on" anyone who is providing misinformation which causes fear mongering, food phobias, or other such pseudoscience.

The fact of the matter is...the main reason we are a growing (in SIZE) population is due to a lack of education and even the most basic understanding of biology. It is therefore beneficial to encourage individuals to seek knowledge based on science, not fear mongering, not marketing tactics, and not by those who may seek to gain from ones ignorance.

Regardless, it's my opinion. I don't need to provide factual evidence for every single one of my opinions, especially when the OP is asking about lifestyle. There are many people who believe artificial sweeteners, flavors, etc. are not good for the body. It's what we choose to believe.

I believe artificial sweeteners are not good for the body. There are also some people who believe ketogenic diets are better than just a regular, caloric deficient diet.

I feel like you're just arguing for arguments sake. I posted on here to provide the OP with some of my OWN guidance. If you have a problem with my opinion, take it up in another thread or message. Don't waste space here.
  • TravisGM92
    If you disagree with something I've said or believe it to be "pseudoscience", you're entitled to your own opinion as well. But again, take it up in another thread or message.
  • TravisGM92
    edited August 2016

that's the thing. there's opinions and then there's fact.

I choose to believe there's a great big teapot in the sky that grants magical wishes to those who sing micheal jackson's thriller in A minor. That doesn't mean it's true and it certainly doesn't mean it's relevant to a discussion about physics or biology.

That's cool. People post their opinions on here all the time, yet you jump on me for posting about mine?

I will gladly "jump on" anyone who is providing misinformation which causes fear mongering, food phobias, or other such pseudoscience.

The fact of the matter is...the main reason we are a growing (in SIZE) population is due to a lack of education and even the most basic understanding of biology. It is therefore beneficial to encourage individuals to seek knowledge based on science, not fear mongering, not marketing tactics, and not by those who may seek to gain from ones ignorance.

Regardless, it's my opinion. I don't need to provide factual evidence for every single one of my opinions, especially when the OP is asking about lifestyle. There are many people who believe artificial sweeteners, flavors, etc. are not good for the body. It's what we choose to believe.

I believe artificial sweeteners are not good for the body. There are also some people who believe ketogenic diets are better than just a regular, caloric deficient diet.

I will also "jump on" anyone who claims such a thing.

Again, because science. Belief and opinion are separate from fact. I tried to make an analogy with the teapot.

But, let's say every day i slather coconut oil on my feet because i believe it will prevent cancer. It's something i choose to believe, i don't have factual evidence, and it's my opinion.

If i go out and start recommending cancer patients stop treatment and start using coconut oil instead, I truly hope someone would call me out for my nonsense.

P.S. I won't derail this thread further with this nonsense. This is like trying to use logic on a brick wall.

This website isn't for scientists that can provide factual evidence for every piece of advice. It's a community that helps each other out with what they have found to work. So yes, if coconut oil prevented cancer for you and you told people "hey! I've had some luck with coconut oil" a community forum would be an appropriate place to post that.

I provide opinion to a community member. Hardly comparable to a cancer doctor recommending my patients bad treatment.